Is the Banshee Bow over powered? (or Bull Helm)

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Hello=)
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Re: Is the Banshee Bow over powered? (or Bull Helm)

Post by Hello=) »

.:WildX:. wrote:Then why not make the Banshee Bow even harder to obtain
Then this should apply to all illia items. But well, illia is often failed by even the most skilled highest-leveled players. Harder than that? Are you sure? For me it took 5 attempts before 1st reward. It takes a really good team where everyone knows what to do and knows playstyle of teammates. Not something easy to my taste. Sure, after some time there appeared some teams who got quite used to illia. But even these teams fail illia quite often.

P.S. but I would agree on one thing: TMW needs more super-bosses for mass actions (preferrably for larger teams and all levels).
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

t3st3r wrote:
.:WildX:. wrote:Then why not make the Banshee Bow even harder to obtain
Then this should apply to all illia items. But well, illia is often failed by even the most skilled highest-leveled players. Harder than that? Are you sure? For me it took 5 attempts before 1st reward. It takes a really good team where everyone knows what to do and knows playstyle of teammates. Not something easy to my taste. Sure, after some time there appeared some teams who got quite used to illia. But even these teams fail illia quite often.

P.S. but I would agree on one thing: TMW needs more super-bosses for mass actions (preferrably for larger teams and all levels).
There must be a way of making the items available to fewer people while giving less powerful options as well, maybe adding more requirements to use the items?

TMW Team member

straelyn
Novice
Novice

Post by straelyn »

NO, I don't think they're overpowered. I think we need more stuff like that. It makes the game more fun. Parts of this game are too dry and boring, even for an rpg.
That aside, I think it's better to keep offensive bonuses with weapons, and defensive bonuses with armors. Make the rings cheaper, and let them wear two. Magic should use mana only (that's the whole point of mana!). Magic attack should have a limit to how negative it can go. Only actual magic attacks should be determined by 'magic attack'. Healing shouldn't take all day; it's magical, it's supposed to just work.
The best thing TMW could do, is fix these things, add more areas, and add crafting.
There, I said it. :alt-0:
end of line.
Chicka-Maria
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Chicka-Maria »

It shouldn't be harder to obtain though, you already have a pain in the arse finding a decent group to defeat illia which is already a pain for most people. theyre level 90 items and they should be achievable by level 90+ characters. Its the whole point of having them. Balanced weapons for higher leveled players.

we *should* have more weapons like these for high leveled players or balanced weapons for other levels too IMO

as for drops this is why we need high level player maps, so high level characters can be separate from lower level characters. If there were high level player maps which the crypt is coming for example the lower level chars have no business being there until theyre a high level too.

No matter what MMORPG you play there are going to be people higher leveled than other players. WITH higher level weapons. It's just the way its supposed to be.

regards,
Yubaba
TMWC Member of The Mana World
Leader of The Mana Empire (TME)
[19:41] Ladysugar: he told me to push a setzer up his rear
www.deviantart.com/comfycheeks - Old Deviant Art
William James wrote:Act as If what you do make's a difference, because It does.
Speiros02
Novice
Novice

Post by Speiros02 »

I'm still a little disappointed that archer is given precedent over mage and definitely over warrior. It's not accurate if considered a true war zone. Consider the troops running to the archers. The archers can run and fire FASTER than the warriors can run without firing. This isn't accurate, and becomes an inaccuracy in the game. Maybe some form of equalising would be to let warriors have a bazooka, or nuclear grenade launchers...sounds silly? Just the unevenness of play in the game being highlighted.

A name is to be chosen rather than abundant riches...Solomon's words (Pr.22:1)

[url=http://speirosmusic.tumblr.com]Speiros' music page[/url]

A.K.A "Speiros"...(not being smart...this name is speiros)

Kazenawa
Novice
Novice

Post by Kazenawa »

_Speiros_ wrote:I'm still a little disappointed that archer is given precedent over mage and definitely over warrior. It's not accurate if considered a true war zone. Consider the troops running to the archers. The archers can run and fire FASTER than the warriors can run without firing. This isn't accurate, and becomes an inaccuracy in the game. Maybe some form of equalising would be to let warriors have a bazooka, or nuclear grenade launchers...sounds silly? Just the unevenness of play in the game being highlighted.
However, archers can shoot quickly.
If the archer is accurate, you can waste a lot of warriors before even reaching them...
And if you give warriors nuclear grenade launchers, why do archers won't be able to have them ? They'd be way more accurate not moving than running warriors...

In my opinion the Banshee Bow is not overpowered at all. It has an incredible cost added to nearly 1-shot death. It's clearly made to fight without making any mistakes.
You can't expect such power being a shielded warrior, or this would be overpowered and overshielded, let's say unkillable. Definitely some kind of Goddy class...

Edit : Orthograph, grammar
Hello=)
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Hello=) »

Chicka-Maria wrote:No matter what MMORPG you play there are going to be people higher leveled than other players. WITH higher level weapons. It's just the way its supposed to be.
Except that these games keep PvP and PvE more or less balanced, so player of, say, lvl 95 would deal more or less comparable damage as all classes with more or less equal artefacts, unless its some defensive/supportive setup at player's own good will. Or there would be some class goodies to counter some class weaknesses, etc at least. Right now bansheers are crapwrecking most of events by using turbo-charged setups to show everyone else they're pathetic worms who're not anyhow comparable to such turbo-charges setups. This suxx.

As for items, TMW as I know it, always had one nasty problem. It had it "forever". I.e. since I play it, at very least. Generally there is so few artefacts in game and they lack diversity so much, that now every class haves virtually only one single "best" set of items to equip at any given level. So everyone looks the same, etc. Every player uses one sword, one bow, one armor set, one robe, ... on the the same levels. And overall set of weapons/artefacts isnt huge at all. Obvious example: warrior could equip, say, pike to have somewhat improved attack range (2-3 tiles?) and good armor piercing (but slower than sword, etc?). And different appearance on battlefield, after all. Or why there is no several bows?

Also could be very nice if players could do some crafting. I guess it could be fun when players could make fairly good items on their own after practicing for a while. And it also tends to keep players busy hunting bosses, etc to get some materials which are hard to obtain. Which makes it looking more like adventure and fun rather than just boring grinding.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

Historically, a well-trained, well-equipped force of bowmen will defeat a much larger force of infantry and cavalry. Agincourt is the canonical example.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
v0id
Novice
Novice

Post by v0id »

t3st3r wrote:
Chicka-Maria wrote:No matter what MMORPG you play there are going to be people higher leveled than other players. WITH higher level weapons. It's just the way its supposed to be.
Except that these games keep PvP and PvE more or less balanced, so player of, say, lvl 95 would deal more or less comparable damage as all classes with more or less equal artefacts, unless its some defensive/supportive setup at player's own good will. Or there would be some class goodies to counter some class weaknesses, etc at least. Right now bansheers are crapwrecking most of events by using turbo-charged setups to show everyone else they're pathetic worms who're not anyhow comparable to such turbo-charges setups. This suxx.
We don't play the same game I think... On most of the events, I like to bring up my secret-raging-agent. Most likely because I don't feel being a pathetic worm when orange-pink glows flow around me while I deal 420 dmg very fast on every hit.
Frost
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Frost »

My favorite Illia item is the Bull Helmet.
You earn respect by how you live, not by what you demand.
-unknown
mas886
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by mas886 »

I think that, that items aren't overpowered they are only very powerful, but I think that if they are nerfed, the difficult of the Illia Quest won't have any sence, it's a difficult quest, and gives good items.
Kazenawa
Novice
Novice

Post by Kazenawa »

o11c wrote:Historically, a well-trained, well-equipped force of bowmen will defeat a much larger force of infantry and cavalry. Agincourt is the canonical example.
+1
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

o11c wrote:Historically, a well-trained, well-equipped force of bowmen will defeat a much larger force of infantry and cavalry. Agincourt is the canonical example.
Reality is a bad advisor for game development. Reality is neither fair nor fun. That's why we have video games in the first place.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

Crush wrote:Reality is a bad advisor for game development. Reality is neither fair nor fun. That's why we have video games in the first place.
No, we have video games so we can not die, be horrifically injured, or have to face unsanitary conditions.

Though I'm not sure everyone has succeeded at the last.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Hello=)
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Hello=) »

v0id wrote:We don't play the same game I think... On most of the events, I like to bring up my secret-raging-agent. Most likely because I don't feel being a pathetic worm when orange-pink glows flow around me while I deal 420 dmg very fast on every hit.
1) What kind of events, exactly? In Candor warriors usually unable to outperform hardcore banshee setups with terra arrows on potions as far as I can see. Cindy? Same. PvP events here and there? Oh, are you sure about warrior on these with current balance? :mrgreen:
Also arhcers dont have to bring "secret agents". They just equip most aggressive outfit, drink some potions and ready to rock-n-roll.
2) "Very fast" is not a exact definition. How about comparing XP/damage per minute/killrate, actually? When there is chance to make direct comparison in obvious ways where different classes are starting to work on same monster at same time, like candor, cindy, etc I can see aggressive banshee setups are clear winners as they "steal" the kill 100% of the time when such situation occurs.
3) Okay, if you insist, maybe second part of topic also deserves some investigation. If you claim each damage is 420, can you estimate how it compares in terms of damage per minute, for example, with lightning bolts, then? Bolt is about ~1000 damage, once per every 1.5 seconds (in most aggressive mage setup, raw numbers without m.def of target). So damage per minute is about 45 000 in ideal case with most aggressive mage setup. Maybe a bit less in realistic setups. What's your "very fast" attack delay? Let's see if there is some imbalance occurs as well and 2nd part of topic haves some point.

In practice on mentioned events I havent observed warriors could be able to cause serious imbalance in battles (like stealing most kills and/or drops). Maybe some very task-optimized setups can do something like this in some very narrow scenarios, but in general it not feels like this. For me it looks like if even mages could compete more or less on par with fairly aggressive warriors setups or even outshot them a bit in common cases (candor, cindy, ...). OTOH bansheers do far more damage in extreme setups than any mage could ever dream. The only known exception is a kill GM event: high m.def of hat makes mages completely suck: 120 damage once per every 1.5 seconds isnt a really competitive for sure. Yet I still somehow won crown once - next time I probably should try to win million in lottery, probability is about the same :mrgreen:.