[bug] [Dark Magic] There is way to PK players without PvP.

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Hello=)
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

[bug] [Dark Magic] There is way to PK players without PvP.

Post by Hello=) »

Introduction of dark magic caused some unexpected consequences. Since spawned monsters (snakes, wicked mushrooms) are inherently aggro on their own, it turns out it's possible to make them to lose track of caster and switch to their usual behavior. That is is: attacking any player on sight.

Needless to say, casting spell and doing disconnection causes monsters to attack players even in areas which are supposed to be safe harbors and non-PVP. Like cities or bank buildings. Furthermore, it allows PKers to PK any players on slightest AFK and then there is no any chance to give retribution to PKer who spawns offending monsters. This fact has been already abused enough quite a lot to PK quite many players in non-pvp mode in unfair ways, where they cant give any retribution to offender. Right now Hurnscald is rather looks like some large-scale war battlefield "thanks" to this issue.

N.b: thsee monsters are strong enough to kill even seasoned players after several spawns if player is AFK. I guess this trick could be a real disaster if done in noob places.
Frost
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: [bug] [Dark Magic] There is way to PK players without Pv

Post by Frost »

It was already possible to cause summoned spiky mushrooms to attack other player characters. If this is a bug, it's a very old one.

What is PK?
You earn respect by how you live, not by what you demand.
-unknown
Hello=)
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Hello=) »

Frost wrote:It was already possible to cause summoned spiky mushrooms to attack other player characters.
Hmmm? Usual spiky mushrooms are not aggro on their own. So they would not attack other players "by default". At least when PvP is disabled and caster just disappears, they would behave as usual spiky shrooms, just roaming around. They do not attack players by default. If player does something offensive like itenplz or just stabs shrooms, they would attack in return, but its up to player if he is going to aggravate environment vs self. I guess they could also attack some player if player does some offensive action to caster who invoked them. But no any attacks on their own.

With wicked shrooms issue here is that once caster (who summoned them) disappears, they revert to "usual" default behavior. So they're attacking any other players on sight. This allows caster to kill many AFK players at will, even in "safe" areas and when PvP is disabled.
If this is a bug, it's a very old one.
Never seen anyone to be able to make spike shrooms to attack players "by default", without provoking them first. On other hand, wicked shrooms are aggro on their own so its their default behavior is to attack players on sight. They do not need to be provoked - they just attack players on sight. It could kill AFK players very well, etc.
What is PK?
PK stands for Player Killing or player kill. PKer is a Players Killer obviously (not hard to notice players usually dislike PKers :mrgreen:). Right now powerful dark mages are having "fun" by PKing all AFK players around they can see. I can imagine they also can gank some noobs and so on. Should I admit this makes game far less attractive than it should be? Being killed when AFK by someone is not a big fun. Its okay to have some kill one time a day or so due to some GM event, etc. But now you can die far more than that at some dark mage will. Lack of chance to have retribution on caster makes it even worse - caster issues offensive action on player and no way to retribute to caster who caused it. Also its very unlikely any newbie can cope with wicked mushroom, so its also looks like a perfect way to piss off some newbies around by facing them aggro they cant handle. I'm unable to remember any similar bug before this. Not to mention that now auction bot dies, confused tree is nearly perma-dead, etc and I can imagine there is also way to kill ManaMarket this way. Generally all areas are now unsafe and PvP-like. With the only difference that you cant have retribution on offender unless you're dark mage as well.
Last edited by Hello=) on 09 Sep 2013, 14:31, edited 3 times in total.
v0id
Novice
Novice

Post by v0id »

What is PK?
Primary Key
Cassy
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Cassy »

I already reported some days ago and we tried it again today.
It will be fixed (not by me ;) ).

*pokes V0id*
Main characters:
Lv.94 - Cassy - speedarcher on dark path, bunny-wannabe, would like to ride on a Mouboo once...
Lv.95 - Biqcassy - mage on light path, addicted to her Fluffy Hat, love-hates Fallens, really misses Confused Tree...
Lv.70 - Simca. - dreams of becoming a speedarcher on light path, still has a lot to learn...

Personal development overview | priorities | wiki to-do | wiki profile incl. other characters

[20:24:59] <Cassy> debug npc in crypts!
[20:25:02] <Cassy> just a joke...
[20:25:08] <wushin> DONT DO THAT
[20:25:10] <o11c> !slap Cassy