Public Test Server

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

melkior
Warrior
Warrior

Re: Public Test Server

Post by melkior »

I have been opposed to copying over the characters to the test server from the start. Since I've already made that known on IRC, I figured I didn't have to do it here as well. Maybe that was a mistake.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

melkior wrote:I have been opposed to copying over the characters to the test server from the start. Since I've already made that known on IRC, I figured I didn't have to do it here as well. Maybe that was a mistake.
Yes, I asked here for a reason why, since either it hasn't been said or I've been missing it.

Note that we cannot test for database corruption without the copy.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
cinderweb
Peon
Peon

Post by cinderweb »

oh god he copied our characters over too? oh my Duck god i thought it was clear that this shouldn't be done is o11c the only commitee member left? well i've already had enough of him. I thought this was a committee run thing since you left platyna but i guess not. you just traded monarchs.
Note: this forum user was previously known as as jayd6974.
Quinny
Peon
Peon

Post by Quinny »

Ok so you took away gm comands to do what? The debugs will allow you to choose what lvl,stat ect. you need Gm commands are not used for these thing. I am on test server now with people spawning and killing me over and over. How am I going to test if all that happens is I died trying to test and help you out. Gm commands where ment for the specific use of offical testers not for people to get on here and run a muck. You have Duck this up. With this you are now going to have to have "GM's" here to keep test running like it should.
Last edited by Quinny on 19 Oct 2013, 18:12, edited 1 time in total.
Frost
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Frost »

o11c wrote:
melkior wrote:I have been opposed to copying over the characters to the test server from the start. Since I've already made that known on IRC, I figured I didn't have to do it here as well. Maybe that was a mistake.
Yes, I asked here for a reason why, since either it hasn't been said or I've been missing it.
This is not your decision to make by fiat, and others can only try to convince you to change your mind. It's a serious decision that should be agreed. We don't have to justify everything to your satisfaction.
I too disagreed, but again, you said you disregard what I say.
Note that we cannot test for database corruption without the copy.
That's a specific pre-release test step, not a basis for testing methodology.

TMW can do better than this.
You earn respect by how you live, not by what you demand.
-unknown
melkior
Warrior
Warrior

Post by melkior »

o11c wrote: Yes, I asked here for a reason why, since either it hasn't been said or I've been missing it.
Because, as I said, I test everything except for the builds I use on the main server.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

melkior wrote:
o11c wrote: Yes, I asked here for a reason why, since either it hasn't been said or I've been missing it.
Because, as I said, I test everything except for the builds I use on the main server.
Nothing is preventing you from creating new characters and/or restat'ing the existing ones.

I've already said I don't plan to recopy the characters on every single restart.
melkior
Warrior
Warrior

Post by melkior »

And if you do it more than once, it'll become a nuisance, and people will stop using the testing server, myself included.
Frost
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Frost »

Why not just use the accounts from the previous testing server?
People (including me) had specific builds and item sets for testing. I had different accounts for different purposes too.

My regular game accounts have no value for me on the testing server. I already know how those characters work, and I don't need collections of items. My character levels are clustered around 80-95, which is not useful for testing. Besides that, I don't want to have the same character names on the testing server. I'm not role-playing on there; I'm testing.

I also don't want my real game logins and passwords to be migrated to future testing servers. We already see how casually one person can make this decision, and that's a warning to me for the future.
You earn respect by how you live, not by what you demand.
-unknown
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

melkior wrote:And if you do it more than once, it'll become a nuisance, and people will stop using the testing server, myself included.
That's a very good reason not to do it frequently. But what about, say, once every 3 months or so?

Sure, people who are testing now appreciate not copying, but people who test in future would appreciate the copying.
melkior
Warrior
Warrior

Post by melkior »

Considering how rarely the testing server is used, for some (if not most) users this means having to re-stat every time they use it.

I didn't think we even agreed on where the testing server was going to be, let alone on how it would be run.
Quinny
Peon
Peon

Post by Quinny »

And how do you know that people in the futre will want it? If you have some great mind power of the future please do share and proceed. But seeing as how that really isn't what is going on stop assuming what people will or do want and just plain old fashion ASK them!
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

melkior wrote:Considering how rarely the testing server is used, for some (if not most) users this means having to re-stat every time they use it.
Point, I guess ... but for developers and members of the official testing group, who are the most important target, it's rare.
melkior wrote:I didn't think we even agreed on where the testing server was going to be, let alone on how it would be run.
But can we agree that having a test server at *all* is better than not having one? Because frankly, that was the only other option.

Nothing about how the test server is run is set in stone, but I'm trying to get *something* usable.
Quinny wrote:And how do you know that people in the futre will want it? If you have some great mind power of the future please do share and proceed.
I do indeed know what people of the future want: the want a test server that is more easily accessible. For that, the long-range plan is to connect to the same login server (so that every time players connect they see "The Mana World" and "Testing" after they connect), but we don't currently have the infrastructure to support that.

Note that connecting to the same login server will mean sharing the *account* database, but not the *character* database.
Quinny wrote:But seeing as how that really isn't what is going on stop assuming what people will or do want and just plain old fashion ASK them!
I'm not assuming anything about anyone. The problem that I'm facing is that half the people are asking for one thing and half the people are asking for the exact opposite.
Quinny
Peon
Peon

Post by Quinny »

What other half? Of all the people that have posted on here it is Cinderweb (a tester) , Melkior (GM), you (lead coder), Frost (admin), Wushin (lead dev who started this thread) and myself ( tester).
Sure, people who are testing now appreciate not copying, but people who test in future would appreciate the copying.
I was referring to that. Yes people of the futre will want a testing server. Is your goal to run off everyone that you have here now? That is the way you are comeing across. To say this means that all of us here now wont be here in the futre and that the people of the futre will love what you have done.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

Quinny wrote:What other half? Of all the people that have posted on here it is Cinderweb (a tester) , Melkior (GM), you (lead coder), Frost (admin), Wushin (lead dev who started this thread) and myself ( tester).
Prior to this thread, practically everyone, including Frost (I have logs if you don't believe me) was suggesting that running the test server with a copy of the live data was the way to go.
Quinny wrote:Is your goal to run off everyone that you have here now? That is the way you are comeing across. To say this means that all of us here now wont be here in the futre and that the people of the futre will love what you have done.
No, but I have to be realistic: most people only stay with the development side of TMW for about 2 years.