Content Development Roadmap

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Content Development Roadmap

Post by wushin »

This is an attempt to align the TMWA-content & TMWA-server development roadmap (Server Development roadmap viewtopic.php?p=129843#p129843

1 Login themanaworld.org
|
|____ world TMWA-Forever (stable)
|
|____ world TMWA-Adventures (stable, yet also hotbed)
|
|____ world CR1 (Test)

I. Defines
A. TMWA-Forever
"status quo" for live as it is. We should question what we have here now and always and forever. Melkior pointed out that long ago in the ancient times TMW was used as a testing ground because at some time The next Magical cure would race across the land and fix everything. I know the recent magic cure to race across the land still hasn't settled. To some you look around and things look bleak. I don't have to tell you things are bad, just open some of the maps or scripts. Thats all our faults though, but thats because it's our responsibility. The greatest thing about responsibility means you can directly change it. TMW has one of the most unique community of people that far surpass the quality of the game. Talent, Heart and just the right amount of malicious intent. We all acknowledge there is a litany of bugs to fix and stuff to add. This is a fantasy world that list should be infinite or we need to dream some more.

B. TMWA-Adventures
Take a chunk of content, make it a single server of manaworld. Think of like in Modern Warfare where you do skill/time trials on certain maps/weapons. While the server code is being rewritten to support the chunk carved out as envisioned as close to the creators mind. The content based on said chunk will also undergo a restructuring to a more telligable format within tilesets, directory structure, items and xmls. server content should be corrected to match the current standards. This way we don't have to reinvent the wheel each time. Commits would be made back to TMWA-Forever if they could and maintained on a new branch CR1. Too often when someone does try to help they find a bad example and start doing things the wrong way. This would seek to correct that.

C. RC1
Take the chunks from TMWA-adventures and apply them to TMWA-Forever. Apply the fix globally. pull next adventure from this core. rinse and repeat until RC1 has all the content corrected to modern standards. This will be nothing more than a more proper set-up of content. No plans to remove but only to improve whats already there. This is not going to use manaserv but the current TMWA we have. It's meant to match the Current TMWA Server Roadmap.

===Content To-Do=== (in no spefic order)
* Finish 1.5 player sprite sheets
* Cut tilesets to be used for fringe in fringe layer
* Remapping affected maps from tileset recuts
* Check naming conventions on files
* move weapon sprite sheets into directory
* Gather art from forum and move it to art-trello https://trello.com/b/rNnx513z/art-development if not in github https://github.com/themanaworld/tmwa-client-data
* Correct xmls to allow items to be dyeable if they were designed that way
* going through item_db.txt and items.xml to check validity
* Multiple Launcher/Ammo (TST)
* Proper Equip Scripts
* Death Penalties
* "Lost Woods" concepts
* Map Traps
* eLv weapons
* balance equipment
* balance mobs
* balance skills
* balance magic
* extend magic
* extend skills
* add professions
* Party Dungeon Instances when server allows multiple instances at once (BLK)
* Help implement new features of manaplus like Quest log, weather overlay effects, water depth
* Script Wide bit masking in scripts
* recurring holiday events
* Mobs xmls so they can be used as npcs
* Using the player sprite and equipment to paper doll NPCs
* Adding animations to Said paper dolls for animated NPCs.
* Help in correcting the wiki and maintaining accurate information
* Greater involvement of the player community in creating content
* Greater visibility to grow our audience to encourage more players with the hopes they become developers
* Making content easier to work with and develop
* Providing resources to facilitate TMWA-Server, Manaplus and Co-op'd server development
* New music for maps
* Professions

===Content Other Deps [Reqs]===
* Instances (CPT)
* Multiple Ammo Launchers (TST)
* (Manaplus) Bridge over/under problem
* Better Guild Support

##### Always Interested in other ideas. ######
The secret to getting all the important stuff done is doing nothing.
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Content Development Roadmap

Post by wushin »

### Project #1: Sprites ###
Player 1.5 Sprite
* Player base models renamed with - instead of _ . Adjust xmls
** https://trello.com/c/lIli1X8T

Naming conventions on files
* equipment should be <name>-<gender> for xml and png example: terranite-female.png and terranite-female.xml
* In both sprites and icons
* name for items should use - for space example: terranitehelm would become terranite-helm

Reorganizing graphic directories
* Create icons in sprites move icons into it. Adjust xmls
* Create Weapons under equipment and move weapon files. Adjust xmls.
** Adjust weapon names to be <type>-<name> example: weapon-bansheebow becomes bow-banshee-bow
* Adding dye code to any items which allow it but are missing it.

Npcs as Dolls
* Cutting clothing, faces and fringe from Basic NPCs
* Setting default animations from sprite sheet to make npcs animated (still not mobile npcs)
** https://trello.com/c/m8ycMED2

Finish and Document
* Cleaning up Item.xml, npcs.xml, monsters.xml
* Better Documentation on adding item, monster or npc on wiki

This gains us all the weapons we currently don't have released.
This gains easy to use animated npcs plus it would support the server/client using mobile npcs
Easy to use and construct NPCs as it is to play with dolls.
People can find what they are looking for.

### Project #2: Tiles ###
Tilesets need to be reorganized
* Tilesets need x2,x3.x4 cut
* renaming needs to be done
* sets need to be merged together
* sets need to be finished

### Project #3: Maps ###
Remapping
* tileset organization will trash all maps
* maps recreated
* Fixed for Scythe and Christmas tree hat
* Proper elements placed on fringe

All of this is currently available to be seen on art trello
https://trello.com/b/rNnx513z/art-development
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

I agree 100% with the plan for "TMW Forever" (which in my notes I called "classic" or "legacy") and "TMW Adventures" worlds.

I had somewhat different ideas for the 3rd world, but it's all tentative for now, and in any case I defer to wushin on content matters.

There is no reason we are *limited* to 3 worlds, though of course we don't want to go overboard.

Currently, the hard-coded limit is 30 worlds. I think the intent was that the same content would be used on worlds located in different geographical locations, but we don't have the infrastructure for that and there are also security concerns.

One thing we *do* need is a plan for what GMs will do once we have multiple worlds.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

### Completed & committed ###
https://github.com/themanaworld/tmwa-se ... v2014.4.18
wushin wrote:### Project #1: Sprites ###
Player 1.5 Sprite
* Player base models renamed with - instead of _ . Adjust xmls
** https://trello.com/c/lIli1X8T

Naming conventions on files
* equipment should be <name>-<gender> for xml and png example: terranite-female.png and terranite-female.xml
* In both sprites and icons
* name for items should use - for space example: terranitehelm would become terranite-helm

Reorganizing graphic directories
* Create icons in sprites move icons into it. Adjust xmls
* Create Weapons under equipment and move weapon files. Adjust xmls.
** Adjust weapon names to be <type>-<name> example: weapon-bansheebow becomes bow-banshee-bow
* Adding dye code to any items which allow it but are missing it.

Npcs as Dolls
* Cutting clothing, faces and fringe from Basic NPCs
* Setting default animations from sprite sheet to make npcs animated (still not mobile npcs)
** https://trello.com/c/m8ycMED2

Finish and Document
* Cleaning up Item.xml, npcs.xml, monsters.xml
* Better Documentation on adding item, monster or npc on wiki

This gains us all the weapons we currently don't have released.
This gains easy to use animated npcs plus it would support the server/client using mobile npcs
Easy to use and construct NPCs as it is to play with dolls.
People can find what they are looking for.
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

### Project #1: Tiles ###
Tilesets need to be reorganized
* Tilesets need x2,x3.x4 cut
* sets need to be merged together
* sets need to be finished

### Project #2: Maps ###
Remapping
* maps recreated
* Fixed for Scythe and Christmas tree hat and effects
* Proper elements placed on fringe

###Project #3 ###
Quest Log
* Need quest steps set to hints
* Need all quests to uniformly use BITWISE vars
* Quest UI

###Project #4 ###
Professions
* Mining, Foraging, Forging, Clothier, Weaving, Tanning, Leathercraft, Alchemy
* Nodes & recipes
* Set-up script based Node maker
Cassy
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Cassy »

Update from my side:

I had a break because of holidays, sickness and because I had to buy a new laptop and put Fedora on it to be able to dev in a decent development environment (installed Fedora just yesterday).

I'm working on this: https://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php ... Cult_Quest
In a nutshell: A quest with a task that we don't have in TMW so far, but also a boss fight in the end, similar to Cindy or Illia.
You can find details in the wiki link.
Main characters:
Lv.94 - Cassy - speedarcher on dark path, bunny-wannabe, would like to ride on a Mouboo once...
Lv.95 - Biqcassy - mage on light path, addicted to her Fluffy Hat, love-hates Fallens, really misses Confused Tree...
Lv.70 - Simca. - dreams of becoming a speedarcher on light path, still has a lot to learn...

Personal development overview | priorities | wiki to-do | wiki profile incl. other characters

[20:24:59] <Cassy> debug npc in crypts!
[20:25:02] <Cassy> just a joke...
[20:25:08] <wushin> DONT DO THAT
[20:25:10] <o11c> !slap Cassy
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

Tileset Redux:
1) Desert viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18437
2) Straw Huts viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18450
3) Town/Villages & Fences viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18449
4) Grass, Hills & Stone viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18438
5) Dirt viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18439
6) Snow viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18436
7) Cave, Mine, & Sewer (Not Started)
8) Castle, Ruin, & Dungeon (Not Started)
9) Docks, Scaffolding, & Bridge (Not Started)
10) Indoors (4 variants of wall)
11) Accessory Sets (Tree, Boxes, Flora, etc.) (Not Started)
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

Species, Races and Headstyles [WIP]/[REQ]

viewtopic.php?p=144524
_Cordo_
Peon
Peon

Post by _Cordo_ »

wushin wrote: ###Project #4 ###
Professions
* Mining, Foraging, Forging, Clothier, Weaving, Tanning, Leathercraft, Alchemy
* Nodes & recipes
* Set-up script based Node maker
A few questions:

1. What are nodes as defined by you in this context?

2. When can we as players see professions incorporated?

3. Will each player be granted choice of profession?

4. Are there story lines in the works, or in the wings for the professions? Are they needed?
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

Nodes in this sense are NPCs which require the specific profession and level to be used. (Iron veins, Cactus Flowers, Clam Shells)
These are various npcs that appear at semi random locations throughout the maps.

https://github.com/wushin/tmwa-server-d ... gather.txt

I've had my PR on test before. It will possibly come back to test soon.

I've current 8 professions planned. Each character gets 2 of their choice. The professions also need to be leveled to allow higher level recipes. Characters can change a profession but you have to start over in it.

I've been looking for more side quests and stories with professions, but since a number of the NPCs already have "craft" quests some of these will be worked in as well. I'm always looking for additional quests to be written for professions.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

Did you ever get that python script I gave you working? I still had noisy diffs.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
_Cordo_
Peon
Peon

Post by _Cordo_ »

wushin wrote:Nodes in this sense are NPCs which require the specific profession and level to be used. (Iron veins, Cactus Flowers, Clam Shells)
These are various npcs that appear at semi random locations throughout the maps.

https://github.com/wushin/tmwa-server-d ... gather.txt

I've current 8 professions planned. Each character gets 2 of their choice. The professions also need to be leveled to allow higher level recipes. Characters can change a profession but you have to start over in it.

I've been looking for more side quests and stories with professions, but since a number of the NPCs already have "craft" quests some of these will be worked in as well. I'm always looking for additional quests to be written for professions.
* Reads post, looks at text linked. Nods, goes hm a bit, rubs beard on chin, goes hm some more. *

I can write up outlines, which can be put into script more readily. My wife was learning some basics of scripting for LoF, I too learned a little. I am not a scripting person, or coder though. I write story, plot.
I have no idea what PR means. You are again obscuring what you mean behind jargon. I do not work using jargon. I am direct. I can guess PR may mean public release, but I would not openly say that as it would be only a guess. That means I would not define PR as public release, as it is only a guess.

Ergo, I am left to not know what you are saying because of not knowing what you mean.

I can also guess you're meaning the NPC that lets the player gather items. That seems what you're driving at. Please keep terminology simple, precise. If you mean "NPC that lets a player gather items", say "NPC that lets a player gather items".

I know using precise terms and accurate ones may seem arduous. It saves more hassle later though. You may gain extra hands, too. :) But maybe that is the point in using all these different terms, you don't want help. That is a way it can be seen. In fact, I still yet may see it that way.
I've current 8 professions planned.
Can someone aside from you see a listing of these professions? I did not see it in the NPC script linked to. That script seemed to be a gathering function, only. I would like to know what the professions are to be.

This would provide a good way to understand what could be offered as a story line for characters. For example, was character Bob's dad a miner, and Bob will carry on a family tradition? Maybe Bob met a nurse and decided that saving lives was important and grew up learning to be a nurse.

If a person has no idea what the professions are, they really cannot write/create toward them.
I'm always looking for additional quests to be written for professions.
I may want to help but I need to have use of simple terms. As I said, I write story/plot. I do not like getting into the scripting/coding. My outlines are fairly easy to transfer over to scripts. I can have my wife create bare bones scripts to use for springboards for others, if needed. She also does some piddling with graphics at times. :)

PS: Please take no offense. None is intended. Nor is it intended to be seen as _Cordo_ taking anyone to task. _Cordo_, I, can openly admit that I remain ignorant of jargon. I do so deliberately.

Knowing too much often lends to troubles. Yes, it seems knowing too little does too. I like to stay balanced. That is my challenge.

I am not foisting my challenge on others here. That said, others come to grow if asked to help comprehension. Clarity helps everyone.
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

PR = Pull Request against our Git repo.

There are 3 types of NPCs involved in Professions: Gathering, Crafting and Training. Each of these is a function capable of taking parameters.

Gathering allows you to pick up and interact with elements in the environment to get items need for professions; Iron Veins, Clam Shells, etc.
The are controlled via a template; https://github.com/wushin/tmwa-server-d ... /nodes.txt

Recipes allow you to use your professions to take items and make other items from them; (Iron Ore + Coal == Armor)
They also follow a framework. https://github.com/wushin/tmwa-server-d ... ecipes.txt

The Trainer does nothing more then level up the Profession skill once the player has earned enough experience. https://github.com/wushin/tmwa-server-d ... /train.txt

Yeah all of this is in that same directory. https://github.com/wushin/tmwa-server-d ... ions/craft
_Cordo_
Peon
Peon

Post by _Cordo_ »

Alright, looking at the eight professions you're suggesting. It may only be personal opinion. Would tanning and leather crafting not be one profession? If not, why not?

Also, I see weaving and clothing. These as well may be combined, in my opinion. Not understanding why they are being separated. Fabric is made from weaving, clothes made from fabric. Then, I often keep continuity too much so. Please ignore me if you want.

I like seeing foraging included as its own profession. :) This offers a good entry level profession.
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

Same way not all miners are blacksmiths, not all that make fabric sew it, not all that tan leather, work leather into products. PLus it helps balance the resources and professions out so they are all a bit more equal with having a "Gather" profession needed for the "Crafting" profession.

Foraging is the "gathering" profession for Alchemy.