the topic about IRC channels

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Which channels do we really need to keep?

#themanaworld
29%
#themanaworld-dev
28%
#themanaworld-support
5%
#themanaworld-private
15%
#themanaworld-event
3%
#tmwa
6%
#themanaworld-art
8%
#themanaworld-war
No votes
#themanaworld-cafe
1%
#themanaworld-sound
3%

Total votes: 95
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

the topic about IRC channels

Post by o11c »

We all knew this topic was coming sooner or later.

TMW has too many IRC channels:
  • #themanaworld - the main channel
  • #themanaworld-dev - the main dev channel
  • #themanaworld-support - historically, a place to provide support. Inactive; these days we provide support in #themanaworld or -dev since we've slacked off saying "go to -support".
  • #themanaworld-private - the only access-restricted channel, where important matters are discussed in real-time, rather than on the forum.
  • #themanaworld-event - historically, a place to develop events in secret. Has not been used much for recent events.
  • #tmwa - founded as a low-traffic channel so that I could watch all of it.
  • #themanaworld-art - founded once we started getting too much art talk in -dev that it was distracting. Active.
  • #themanaworld-sound - founded as a reaction to #themanaworld-art. Inactive.
  • #themanaworld-war - founded to keep flaming about the server move out of #themanaworld. Considered not as good as the "old" war channel. Inactive.
  • #themanaworld-cafe - founded as a reaction to #themanaworld-war - "give peace a chance"
There's also the channel which must not be named, which is in no way associated with TMW officially.

My proposal is to close -support, -event, -war, and -cafe. I don't feel comfortable being the one to make suggestions regarding -sound.

Some people have proposed to close -private. As I see it, the core problem is that:
  • Some people got tired of all the important discussion happening in -private, then complained that we're making decisions in -private without involving them.
  • GMs don't find it easy to connected to IRC all the time the way devs do (this is actually a legitimate concern).
However, I defend the continued existence of -private:
  • There are still times when important decision need to be made with faster turnaround than can be had in the private forum.
  • People who quit the channel have no right to complain about not being in the channel.
  • It is a place where GMs can stay connected without being overwhelmed by all the chatter in #themanaworld or -dev. -private is a low-traffic channel, so it's possible for a non-insane person to actually read all the traffic.
  • There *are* solutions to the problem of staying connected all the time.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
melkior
Warrior
Warrior

Re: the topic about IRC channels

Post by melkior »

A project the size of TMW (right now) doesn't really need more than 1 (maybe 2) channels. Far larger (and more complex) projects seem to do well with only one channel.

IRC is useful if you really need realtime communication, so -private can be kept for emergencies, but it should not serve as a place where decisions are made. Everything else can basically be merged into #themanaworld and -dev

Personally, I have quit TMW's IRC channels completely, in favour of the forums — longer lasting, less distractions, far more on topic, and most importantly, out in the open.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

melkior wrote:A project the size of TMW (right now) doesn't really need more than 1 (maybe 2) channels. Far larger (and more complex) projects seem to do well with only one channel.
Having multiple development channels really helps dedicated developers to focus, given how much activity there is in the time periods when I'm asleep.

GMs and new developers are likely to only use 2 channels, 3 at most.
AnonDuck
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by AnonDuck »

In my opinion less is more.. I'd even consider merging #themanaworld and -dev as they are both low-volume enough to make that practical.
Head of the TMW Illuminati
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

MadCamel wrote:In my opinion less is more.. I'd even consider merging #themanaworld and -dev as they are both low-volume enough to make that practical.
Seriously? I get regularly get what I consider "flood" volume on both channels and also on -art every time I'm away from a day.
Freeyorp101
Archivist Prime
Archivist Prime

Post by Freeyorp101 »

Voted for #themanaworld, #themanaworld-dev, #themanaworld-art.

-art could theoretically be merged into -dev, but some people like having a separate channel, it gets activity, and this isn't really a problem.

I'm not voting for -private in its current state. People do far too much there, and the game became far less open and cliquey for it. Yes, there are use cases for emergencies, but those are so unbelievably rare, and the channel attracts far too much discussion that should really be done in the open. People left the channel in protest of what it was turning into. Getting rid of it and, instead, constructing a temporary channel in the rare event that people do need private discussion, would be much better.

---Freeyorp
(09:58:17) < tux9th> Freeyorp: your sig on the forums is kind of outdated
Chay
Novice
Novice

Post by Chay »

I voted for tmw and tmw-dev i personally dont use other channels, no idea what happens in the other channels though, deciding if private is necessary is not possible from an outsiders point of view, same goes for tmwa.
nelson6e65
Novice
Novice

Post by nelson6e65 »

Chay wrote:I voted for tmw and tmw-dev i personally dont use other channels, no idea what happens in the other channels though, deciding if private is necessary is not possible from an outsiders point of view, same goes for tmwa.
Same here... I had no idea about those chanels... Only #themanaworld and #themanaworld-dev

Maybe support chanel would be great, but IMHO, players can get support in #themanaworld and #themanaworld-dev.
Spoiler:
You should make a poll about "What channels you used regularly?" The most will say "Only #themanaworld". :lol:
The Mana World - Comunidad Hispanohablante

"When we die, we go to the same place: Soul Menhir"nelson6e65
Edit: Well... Not anymore. u.u

nelson6e65: Image
Edward Elric: Image
Edward Elric (Hagane): Image
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

I've already deleted -war and -cafe; I'll delete -event and -support in a day or two (except that I'll actually set -support as a redirect - I need to look up how to do that)

Boring link for testing: http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=t ... ld-support