Why summons of mouboo and pinkies are "dark" spells?

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Hello=)
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Why summons of mouboo and pinkies are "dark" spells?

Post by Hello=) »

It has came to my attention code of summon spells for summon pinkies and summon mouboo spells internally calls function for dark spells for unknown reason rather than for "usual" summons. The issue here is that it depends on level in dark magic. Which looks strange and incoherent as storyline rather suggests Sagatha likes creatures like mouboos (killing them makes sagatha unhappy, etc). So it looks incoherent enough when level of control on such creatures depends on DARK magic skill level. This is really weird. IMO it should spawn monsters in "usual" way as these creatures are not linked to dark mages anyhow. Also IMO there could be some "complementary" spell specially for dark mages - it could summon bluepars and demonic mouboos, in these such calling of summon functions would be very logical on other hand.
tux9th
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Why summons of mouboo and pinkies are "dark" spells?

Post by tux9th »

Hello=)
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Hello=) »

tux9th wrote:thanks for pointing that out.
https://github.com/themanaworld/tmwa-se ... 7c70fb3eb4
Yes, I'm exactly about this part. And this bug made me to think there could be some "complementary" spells, made especially for dark mages. Which would look like these spells before fix, but summoning dark counterparts of these creatures. Ability to summon bluepar/demonic mouboo would fit dark mage role well, isn't it? Not to mention demonic mouboos are looking quite cool.
tux9th
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by tux9th »

I get what you want but I currently don't have the time to do that. The little time I have for TMW I spend on other things.
Maybe you can get into this and work this out and propose a patch to review to us. This would speed the process of bringing your idea into the game up.

best regards tux9th
Hello=)
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Hello=) »

tux9th wrote:Maybe you can get into this and work this out and propose a patch to review to us. This would speed the process of bringing your idea into the game up.
Since it could be mostly copy&paste work, I probably can try, if nobody haves major objections to this idea. I think I can implement mentioned spells "on their own". But then there is harder part: spells have to be learned somehow. And it should not look too dumb/unnatural, right? Can you give me some ideas who is behind storyline of dark magic and/or suggest how/where to integrate it reasonably well? But overall it sounds like an interesting idea. Though as for time, now I'm spending quote some free time on making ManaPlus theme, but when it more or less ready, I can try mentioned thing.
Chay
Novice
Novice

Post by Chay »

like the idea, quest doesnt need to be complicated:

for example
warics brothers house:

player walks by a bookshelf, and a book drops on his head. Dark mages would survive that, white mages get scared to death. The dark mage picks up but cant open the book since it hasnt been read in ages. Waric opens it for him but only for the price of all daily points. Because that is what he does. Player then can read it over and over again and with some random chance stumble upon a phrase in a language he undertsands but he cant fully read it. So he has to get a toothbrush which is either handed out by the crazy eremite or a rare drop from a greenslime, to clean the page carefully. At a random chance you get to learn one of those summon spells. (so the logic can be adapted from the forest bow quest for example)
probable catalysts could be the same as for the light variants.