quest suggestion: Babel Tower

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Jerobeel
Peon
Peon

quest suggestion: Babel Tower

Post by Jerobeel »

I just want to suggest an idea with the motif of the Babel Tower, a tower with so many floors, with more difficult mobs each time a player gets to climb another one.
Maybe make it part of a more bigger quest.

Reward: Divine "something" etc.
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Re: quest suggestion: Babel Tower

Post by WildX »

And when you get to the top you die and the game language is changed to a random language.

TMW Team member

straelyn
Novice
Novice

Post by straelyn »

Babel tower does sound like an interesting setting to me. I know the idea traditionally is biblical and whatnot, but it's a pretty classic story too, when you break it down. Even final fantasy had the tower of babel. Storywise, it's a bit like man trying to build something so great and tall that it reaches to heaven. In the xian bible it's portrayed as a sign of man's arrogance, hence god got pissed, smashed it, and made everyone talk in various languages as punishment. Wait, that sounds like some kind of deep metaphor for something :alt-2:
end of line.
Jerobeel
Peon
Peon

Post by Jerobeel »

It's appear also in Dragon Ball, lol (the sage cat)

WildX that would be funny.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

It might make a better Adventure than thing that actually fits into the game.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Jerobeel
Peon
Peon

Post by Jerobeel »

Sorry o11c, can you edit what you wrote? i don't understand.
Chay
Novice
Novice

Post by Chay »

o11c wrote:It might make a better Adventure than thing that actually fits into the game.

a) i didnt see any story here so there is no reason to reject this idea due to incomparability to backstory
b) and tmw provides quite a range of minigames from plain text games to complex battles in stages this would be just another one.
Jerobeel wrote:Sorry o11c, can you edit what you wrote? i don't understand.
some links:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12862&p=106889&#p106889
https://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php ... Adventures

the most recent description is here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17834&p=138818#p138818, for convenience I'll also cite it:
B. TMWA-Adventures
Take a chunk of content, make it a single server of manaworld. Think of like in Modern Warfare where you do skill/time trials on certain maps/weapons. While the server code is being rewritten to support the chunk carved out as envisioned as close to the creators mind. The content based on said chunk will also undergo a restructuring to a more telligable format within tilesets, directory structure, items and xmls. server content should be corrected to match the current standards. This way we don't have to reinvent the wheel each time. Commits would be made back to TMWA-Forever if they could and maintained on a new branch CR1. Too often when someone does try to help they find a bad example and start doing things the wrong way. This would seek to correct that.
to sum it up: he wants it to be made an adventure

and I agree (you wouldn't want to add stuff to the running game, it's painful if you actually have a sense of how to do it right, if anyone wants to attempt scripting this , please make sure to check with o11c/wushin which tmwa-server-data scripts to use as reference/template)
Jerobeel
Peon
Peon

Post by Jerobeel »

Thanks, Chay. :) i couldn't put it better.