Alige "art theft and improper accreditation"

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Re: Alige "art theft and improper accreditation"

Post by o11c »

_Speiros_ wrote:Fair enough. Hence, why I can't do it either. If "Bob's Great Game" is going to make him $3000 per week and me nothing, I'd rather not be in "Bob's Great Game". Bob would be getting a free ride off me. I'd rather go to my grave with my words than let someone exploit me any more than has been already...for nothing. Still, all good, and I know there's plenty of other music that can be used. I'll look forward to hearing it.
Well, you're halfway wrong *there*.

While in theory Bob could charge $N for his game such that the whole game together made in $3000, nobody would pay it because he would be required to release the source to every person who bought it, so they could charge $0 for other people to play it.

(Also, he *would* be required to have your name on it, provided that you actually put your name on it in the first place)
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Speiros02
Novice
Novice

Re: Alige "art theft and improper accreditation"

Post by Speiros02 »

o11c wrote:
_Speiros_ wrote:Fair enough. Hence, why I can't do it either. If "Bob's Great Game" is going to make him $3000 per week and me nothing, I'd rather not be in "Bob's Great Game". Bob would be getting a free ride off me. I'd rather go to my grave with my words than let someone exploit me any more than has been already...for nothing. Still, all good, and I know there's plenty of other music that can be used. I'll look forward to hearing it.
Well, you're halfway wrong *there*.

While in theory Bob could charge $N for his game such that the whole game together made in $3000, nobody would pay it because he would be required to release the source to every person who bought it, so they could charge $0 for other people to play it.

(Also, he *would* be required to have your name on it, provided that you actually put your name on it in the first place)
lol, but having my name on HIS cheque means nothing to me. And yes, it means that Joe could also use that work and make $X, and so could everyone else...except for me. I'd be shooting myself in the foot. By the way, the reference to "Bob's Great Game Themes" I think I said (if not it's a typo, or somehting like that) wasn't regarding a specific game, but a soundtrack based on games. These do exist, and marketing is aimed specifically for these too. It's not about the game using it, but about the entity who decides to make a ringtone/CD out of it, and rake it in whilst the original users get zip...mainly me, but including if it went to this game with the terminology to allow it to go anywhere.

Releasing the source doesn't mean it's free.

A name is to be chosen rather than abundant riches...Solomon's words (Pr.22:1)

[url=http://speirosmusic.tumblr.com]Speiros' music page[/url]

A.K.A "Speiros"...(not being smart...this name is speiros)