The Manaworld Prison Hole

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Speiros02
Novice
Novice

The Manaworld Prison Hole

Post by Speiros02 »

Listening to a few interesting convo's, a picture came to head about having a Manaworld prison, for people who get temp banned. There is a prison as such, and I'm wondering if anyone else thinks it's a good idea.

When the person who is banned comes on to play, they awake in a cell, unless they've been directed whilst online that they were going there. They are informed of why they are there, and have a presence as such while online. If they choose to never come back, or when they simply log out, that cell is "taken" by the player, until the ban is lifted, thereby showing who is presently banned at a specific time. When they log back on, they are in the cell. When the ban is lifted, the player is released and free to go about their manaworld game.

A person who is temp banned goes to a "cell", an allotment of space, where there are times of day they can interact with other prisoners. There's a lights out time, where they can't do anything, but exist in a black space as such.

There could be both NPC and players who administer the prison's affairs. The NPC's could have specific rules scrolled, so that the prisoners can click on them and repeatedly see the rules.

The day-time period could look like a birds eye view of a network of cells or something. Any thoughts? Or am I getting a little crazy?

A name is to be chosen rather than abundant riches...Solomon's words (Pr.22:1)

[url=http://speirosmusic.tumblr.com]Speiros' music page[/url]

A.K.A "Speiros"...(not being smart...this name is speiros)

Nard
Knight
Knight

Re: The Manaworld Prison Hole

Post by Nard »

_Speiros_ wrote:Listening to a few interesting convo's, a picture came to head about having a Manaworld prison, for people who get temp banned. There is a prison as such, and I'm wondering if anyone else thinks it's a good idea.[...]
I made this suggestion a long time ago as well. It had no echo. The server code had related content though: @jail. Does it still have it?. When we speak to the guards in Tulimshar city hall, they also suggest that a jail is located in it's basement, which seems to indicate that a former developer had some intention to build one.
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
"If you optimize everything, you will always be unhappy." Donald Knuth.
Speiros02
Novice
Novice

Post by Speiros02 »

Nard wrote:
_Speiros_ wrote:Listening to a few interesting convo's, a picture came to head about having a Manaworld prison, for people who get temp banned. There is a prison as such, and I'm wondering if anyone else thinks it's a good idea.[...]
I made this suggestion a long time ago as well. It had no echo. The server code had related content though: @jail. Does it still have it?. When we speak to the guards in Tulimshar city hall, they also suggest that a jail is located in it's basement, which seems to indicate that a former developer had some intention to build one.
True...sounds promising in the future. I recall the jail messages somewhere. I don't know anything about the codes though mate, but hopefully someone does.

Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

You are suggesting an awful lot of work for improving the game experience of people who aren't supposed to be in the game anymore.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

Well we use botcheck now, but thats getting split in the future.
Into the Prison & GM Map. As dev team is starting to put in game tools which if we aren't careful about restricting them can do things in the main world. In order to completely nullify that plans are to make Botcheck/Prison map a separate map.
The secret to getting all the important stuff done is doing nothing.
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

Crush wrote:You are suggesting an awful lot of work for improving the game experience of people who aren't supposed to be in the game anymore.
:alt-2: how so?

Edit: I do think that for recent cases such as Troll and Platyna, it could have been a good alternative (don't follow GM's instruction).
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
"If you optimize everything, you will always be unhappy." Donald Knuth.
Speiros02
Novice
Novice

Post by Speiros02 »

Crush wrote:You are suggesting an awful lot of work for improving the game experience of people who aren't supposed to be in the game anymore.
Yeah, the angle isn't for those who have a permban, but for those who are tempbanned. If they are permbanned, they've received the death penalty...lol...the prison could have a list on their wall of the executed or something, but the prison is definitely not the place for permbanned people. Why keep them hanging on as such.

salmondine
Warrior
Warrior

Post by salmondine »

Simply put. prisons, public executions, stocks and the like reward bad behavior.
It's been brought up over and over though the years.
I have played rpg's with jails and it encourages trollish and other annoying behavior.
Chicka-Maria
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Chicka-Maria »

why not have a prison that people have the option of going in and out of for role play? if just anybody can go into a prison by asking a npc or disobeying a npc there really shouldn't be any encouragement for trollish behaviour from it.

regards,
Yubaba
TMWC Member of The Mana World
Leader of The Mana Empire (TME)
[19:41] Ladysugar: he told me to push a setzer up his rear
www.deviantart.com/comfycheeks - Old Deviant Art
William James wrote:Act as If what you do make's a difference, because It does.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

We still have the "bad karma" list from halloween 2011 ...
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

but only those from 2011 have it. I'd say bring that into being an annual.
The secret to getting all the important stuff done is doing nothing.