Gambling potion

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

gumi
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Gambling potion

Post by gumi »

For Hanukkah this year I want to make a special potion. The idea is to make a dreidel-shaped potion. When consuming the potion, it would always give a random effect.

However, I want your suggestions for the best combination of price and effects. Keep in mind that the dice have 4 sides: Nun, Gimel, Hei and Shin.

1st proposal (Roulette):
Nun - do nothing
Gimel - heal 60% or 800 hp (whichever is higher)
Hei - heal 20% or 260 hp (whichever is higher)
Shin - kill the player
price: 100gp per potion

2nd proposal (Dangerous yet effective healing potion):
Nun - do nothing
Gimel - heal 60% or 800 hp (whichever is higher)
Hei - heal 20% or 260 hp (whichever is higher)
Shin - remove all but 1 hp
price: 400gp per potion

3rd proposal (Balanced):
Nun - do nothing
Gimel - raise both attack strength and attack speed by 40%
Hei - raise both attack strength and attack speed by 20%
Shin - remove 80% hp and poison the player
price: 400gp

4th proposal (Double roulette):
Nun - do nothing
Gimel - heal 40% or 600 hp (whichever is higher) OR raise both attack strength and attack speed by 40%
Hei - heal 15% or 200 hp (whichever is higher) OR raise both attack strength and attack speed by 20%
Shin - kill the player
price: 100gp per potion

5th proposal (Balanced roulette):
Nun - do nothing
Gimel - heal 40% or 600 hp (whichever is higher) OR raise both attack strength and attack speed by 40%
Hei - heal 15% or 200 hp (whichever is higher) OR raise both attack strength and attack speed by 20%
Shin - remove 80% hp and poison the player
price: 300gp per potion

please tell me what would be better or suggest your own proposal.
keep in mind that Nun should always do nothing, Gimel is very positive, Hei is somewhat positive and Shin is negative
sacriopsmen
Novice
Novice

Re: Gambling potion

Post by sacriopsmen »

I know this is an old topic, but a random potion is actually quite worth discussing, so I think it's worth bringing it up.

i don't think any potion should ever be able to instant kill you. It removes all the counter skills you could develop to make the potion less risky in a hard way. It goes too far under the line of what the potions already make. I'd prefer the balanced roulette, or, that there could actually be actually two potions like 2nd and 3rd.

though, for the third I'd see something like : negates all present potion effect and decrease attack power and speed. by 20% making it risky to even take two in the same time, hoping to get the best effect.
Ingame : "Lord Vlad" my archer-healer or "nanogreedy" my vunerable and pretty useless tank.
I also have an archer used as a shop : Vladshop. But it's not my favourite.