Moving Tutorial to Candor and Closer to Hurnscald [Test]

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

gumi
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Moving Tutorial to Candor and Closer to Hurnscald [Test]

Post by gumi »

Kazenawa wrote:Basically, we can then only change the spell cost right ? Not the damage it deals ?
What is the MaxSp parameter ?

Offtopic, just to know, which kind of functions does the server support ? Exponentials, logarithms, trigonometrics ?
MaxSp is the amount of mana you can have. In your mana bar it shows the amount you have in the form Sp / MaxSp. So if my mana bar indicates 81 / 214 it means my MaxSp is 214

We can change the damage it does as well as the cost
for the functions, the server itself (tmwa) can do any calculation you ask it to do
the magic engine, on the other hand can do these operations:
+ addition
- subtraction
* multiplication
/ division
^ exponent
% modulo
sqrt square root
| bitwise OR
& bitwise AND
>> shift right
<< shift left
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

Kazenawa wrote:Offtopic, just to know, which kind of functions does the server support ? Exponentials, logarithms, trigonometrics ?
As a rule, we don't do floaty things.

But it is a really bad idea to use anything other than linear or quadratic for balance purposes.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

Kestrel wrote:*starts digging the source code*

対象のHPを返す(汎用)
戻りは整数で0以上

Dude, I'm just gonna go write a roguelike or something.
Be glad you can't read the comments, half the time they're wrong, and the other half of the time they just say "hp (english) means hp (japanese)".
Kazenawa
Novice
Novice

Post by Kazenawa »

o11c wrote:
Kazenawa wrote:Offtopic, just to know, which kind of functions does the server support ? Exponentials, logarithms, trigonometrics ?
As a rule, we don't do floaty things.

But it is a really bad idea to use anything other than linear or quadratic for balance purposes.
(Just by curiosity :) Is this rule specific to the project or spread more wildly ? Many other functions can have a "customized" shape (depending on what is wanted), higher polynomial orders are the easy example (floor or ceil the result to come back to integers).

Edit : Typo
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

It's a general rule. People do not have a very good idea in their head of how suddenly exponentiation gets big.
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

Yerp, nor has any the Math pros submitted to me a different formula, they just continue to bark it's wrong.

kestral MaxSp is based of Int, MP * Astral Lvl. The formula is around somewhere. Maybe on the wiki still. but it's most likely like balance. Which overall needs someone to sit down and do some hard maths.

As at times it feels worse the first edition Weapons vs. armor chart in ADD.

Note: this TMWAthena <- Athena == JRPG.

JRPGs like to do things like all a sudden you are through over 9000% every where. I think most of that is cleaned up?
The secret to getting all the important stuff done is doing nothing.
Kestrel
Peon
Peon

Post by Kestrel »

wushin wrote: Wand Formula:
set @WandCost, (@Wand * ((MaxSp / 10) + (BaseLevel / 10)));
The Wand has a @Wand of 1 and the Wooden Staff has a @Wand of 2.
In order to figure out how much sp this should cost, you need to know how sp regen is calculated
and how many times you can cast the spell per second, that's part of the spell cost too.
MaxSp by itself doesn't tell you how much sp the player is going to have.

Depending on how quick the sp regen rate is, you're either going to lower the spell cost to allow more casting
or increase the dmg of the spell to make up for the high cost.

If the spell cost is low enough, regen takes over and you can cast the spell perpetually,
which is bad because you wouldn't have any downtime and that's boring,
but it's not like the spell breaks the game with the dmg it currently deals, so it's still an option, I suppose. :?

Currently it takes about 5-10 hits with the spell to kill a mob, which is about how many times you can use the spell before you run out of sp.
For starters you'd need to be able to go through atleast 5 mobs before resting, so that's 25-50 hits before running out of sp.

Early at lvl1-5 when the spell cost is just 1sp, you can go through a few mobs because of the regen,
but later at lvl20 when you have more sp, the spell costs so much that the regen can't keep up. :lol:

set @WandCost, (@Wand * (BaseLevel / 20));
It rounds up to 1 right? Try it and see if you end up with a perpetual confringo machine.

Edit: make that 20, even (BaseLevel / 10) might be a bit too brutal.
gumi
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by gumi »

this is going way too much off-topic; at this point we should just create a new thread to talk about confringo
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

I went 1/2 with 15 for the wand. While it doesn't make it that nice for the GY, it sure beats spending cold hard cash to kill you some slimes to buy ore and do #ingrav. As you can slaughter a ton of lowbie mobs like archer to get the mats to slaughter higher mobs. Lets get a test on this last Magic change and see if we like it and then we can commit it.

I agree with meko, This and magic should be a thread to itself.
Barchaul
Peon
Peon

Post by Barchaul »

I LIKE IT!!!

Wow, finally, the mage is a player in the game at low levels. In fact, I will make a prediction that the mage will be the go to guy for leveling up your character. No longer will you have to rely only on the archer to lvl up quickly. The test I just ran with my lvl 26 test mage was a great improvement on what it was just a few days ago. Being able to stay in the fight without having to run away and recharge your mana, finally took the frustration out of playing a low lvl mage.
A couple of weeks ago, I started this character as a mage from the very beginning of testing, by putting all my stats into intelligence, getting the magic wand and #confringo spell right away and going out to do the quests. It was a long and arduous task just to complete the quests at Candor. But I wanted to see if it could be done.
When I finally went to Hurnscald, I had to give up on doing the Scythe quest, It was just too hard to battle the pinkies. So I went to Tulimshar, where I could find plenty of maggots and scorpions, which I knew I could kill and do some of the quest there, in order to keep leveling. I was about to give up, because it was too slow of a process, when today I discovered I have POWER. Not the greatest, but it was finally a chance to compete with the monsters.
In my opinion, like I said at the beginning, I predict that when this is released and players discover the mage's new abilities, you will see many more mages in the game.
Kestrel
Peon
Peon

Post by Kestrel »

wushin wrote: I agree with meko, This and magic should be a thread to itself.
Sorry. :oops:

Anyway, I tried out the new changes and the regen ended up being too strong if you're using the wand,
staff works ok though. The spell doesn't cost anything until lvl 15 either...

Try (@Wand * (BaseLevel / 15) + 1); instead.
That should be a bit more fair, at higher lvls the dmg scaling should compensate for the higher overall cost.
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

Final verdict looks like (@Wand * (BaseLevel / 15) + 2);

Granted the first 5 levels come easy and regen your mana so just about when you are out, bam, full mana.

Levels 8-20 progress nicely with sitting to recharge mana, but thats it. No different then warriors and food.

The range bonuses other spells have negate the usefulness of this spell for grinding the GY for free. #Ingrav is still GY King.

But if you are trying to grind yellow slimes for iron ore. Wand beats paying for ingravs on price, but requires a sturdier mage or slower/safer farming.
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Moving Tutorial to Candor and Closer to Hurnscald [GIT]

Post by wushin »

Merged into the main line. Going live At latest Next Week Tuesday.
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

https://www.themanaworld.org/index.php/ ... me_Updates

We could now use help updating the wiki with these changes.
Gajah
Peon
Peon

Post by Gajah »

The update is today. :alt-0: Maybe it's too late to reply, but i love the change, specially in Tulimshar changes! :alt-6: