[DIS][WIP] Rare mob dropping currently unobtainable items

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

AnonDuck
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: [DIS][WIP] Rare mob dropping currently unobtainable item

Post by AnonDuck »

Well.. It's been discussed to death now. Anyone want to make the mob? Needs art, client data, placement in mob_db, and to be put on a map or two.

I'm not sure how you would ensure there's only one spawned globally at a given time, nor how long it should stick around. You'd probably have to make a hidden NPC on each map it should appear on to control that with npcscript and timers.

Git PRs welcome!
Head of the TMW Illuminati
gumi
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by gumi »

for art I say let's use the skytlurk !

as for the logic part that's easy cake, I can handle it if we have art for the mob
jasm
Peon
Peon

Post by jasm »

meko wrote:for art I say let's use the skytlurk !

as for the logic part that's easy cake, I can handle it if we have art for the mob
that would give a meaning to the spell #parum lurk
veryape
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by veryape »

MadCamel wrote:Well.. It's been discussed to death now. Anyone want to make the mob? Needs art, client data, placement in mob_db, and to be put on a map or two.

I'm not sure how you would ensure there's only one spawned globally at a given time, nor how long it should stick around. You'd probably have to make a hidden NPC on each map it should appear on to control that with npcscript and timers.

Git PRs welcome!
Not to blow my own trumpet but.....
I think this fits well with the lore of the game. Have someone tested it in game to see what it looks like?

EDIT.. Hrm, it doesn't add the images again, they are at page 2 if anyone wants to look.
veryape wrote:I made a new variant of the mouboo that is more "white" than the other, i am currently a bit too lazy to check it out in tmw-surroundings so someone, please do.

And also, i just made the regular mouboo converted to grayscale for the first version, the other is that and i fiddled a bit with the brightness, so i wouldn't consider it my work really, it is just tinkering around with someone elses fine work.
Characters: veryape / Captain Dunce / Elvara / veryapeGM
deepthought
Warrior
Warrior

Post by deepthought »

Instead of making monsters and quests for old items why not make new quests and new items. We have less choices for equipments.
I'm as cool and comforting as the porcelain tiles on your bathroom floor during an evening of vomiting.
gumi
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by gumi »

deepthought wrote:Instead of making monsters and quests for old items why not make new quests and new items. We have less choices for equipments.
*has no idea how many time this has been said*
If you want new content then help contribute, don't just request it. TMW is a community effort.
Siegfried
Novice
Novice

Post by Siegfried »

Hi,

i already though about this topic for quite some time. So i have set up a text describing the ideas around it. It is quite much text, so i put it into a separate post.

And yes, i know, this would mean much work. But i think implementing these ideas would keep the game interesting for a really long time.
Siegfried
Novice
Novice

Post by Siegfried »

Keep tmw interesting for players level 90 and up

These are my ideas on how it would be possible to keep tmw interesting for players with advanced or maximum level. Before presenting these ideas i'd like to do an analysis, what might be the reason why this game is interesting.

TMW is kind of RPG. A role playing game is about developing a character. Developing is a) an ongoing process and b) should make the character unique in some way. I'd like to call that "personal profiling". This development of a fiktive character is quite close related to development of a real
personality. It is not a bad thing at all. Playing with alternate personalities in a virtual environment helps developing personality.

The problem with games like tmw is, they are limited. So in all those games this limit will inevitably be reached at some point. When this limit is reached, the game is no more interesting. The player might choose to start over with another character and try a different approach, which is good and pretty legal. But these alternate paths are limited, too. It is not possible to get rid of these limits. What would be possible though is to extend these limits significantly.

What is often demanded for extending these limits is: More unique or rare items (which help further in personal profiling) and more quests (which help in personal profiling as well and in a very similar manner). This works to some degree. But on the long run this "more of the same" will not help. Just imagine thousands of unique items, and each player has his/her own set. What would it be worth?

So what i'd suggest is a complete new development aspect. For doing this i'd like to a) extend already existing features and b) change other features.

At first 2 in 1: I'd like to terminate the current death handling. It is way
too cheap.There is no challenge here. Challenges are what personal
development makes interesting and exciting. No risk - no fun. Of course a character death should not kick the player. But it should definitely not be that cheap. Second, together with this new death handling i'd like to extend on a feature that is already implemented: Sagatha.

Sagatha does some judgement when deciding if a player should get that astral soul skill. This judgement is based on overall behaviour. This is
interestingly quite close related to real worlds thinking of an "afterlife".
So what i would like to see in the game is sort of afterlife. A character,
when killed, does not automatically respawn on some map, but on a specific map, which is part of the underworld. This map has to be created. On this map there is 1 NPC who judges and decides on the players future path. It's kind of classification. This classification has to be carefully worked out. I'm not through with it, there are many open questions. But this classification is the essence of my idea.

Now for low level characters there should be a simple exit. Level 10 and below should just be allowed to use a certain warp point and go to some predefined map location in the upper world. No difference to now, except that the NPC should give a detailed description how death works here. So anyone can adapt strategies to it.

For level 11 to somewhere around 90 i'd suggest a counter. Each time the char dies he will be allowed to exit to the upper world by paying some generation points. The first time after lvl 10, the counter is 0, so there is nothing to pay. The next time it will cost 1 generation point. For this the NPC should do a complete stats reset (like Malivox), and then allow the char to proceed after paying his fee. The char may then be set up again. This would make Malivox obsolete. The trick here is, that not the level is reduced, but the achievable maximum of attributes. The more often you die
the more expensive it will be. At some point it will really cost much.

Now beyond that level for proceeding the char will not pay this fee, instead will be converted to a new species, depending on the classification done then. This new species char will start at level 1, but with decent attributes and new duties and new privileges.

The classification might be this: A dark path with 2 characteristics: One
undead and one demonic. A neutral path with several characteristics: One nature, one barbaric, one noble, one magic. And 1 holy path with 1
characteristic.

For the undead path the start would be quite easy: Let the char be converted into a skeleton. After then reaching level 90 he may respawn as zombie. After some more of these he might respawn as a lich or necromancer or something like this. For the demonic path there are still forms to develop. The final result should be devil.

For the neutral paths there would probably be no need for new sprites for every new class/level. For the noble part f.ex. there could be a new skill (leadership) which would allow to lead some slave mobs permanently. the final result should be respawn as king (with his own castle?). For the nature path some new sprites would be needed. The final result should be respawn as
dragon. For tha magic path respawning as Dschinn (Genie) or something like that may be appropriate.

For the holy path it's quite simple: Respawn as angel :)

Now for the duties: Each of these new classes should only gain exp by doing specific tasks. These should be different for every new class. For the dark path this could be killing player chars, for the holy path protecting these player chars. Something like that.

The privileges should be different too. And maybe limitations, too.

Now assume 8 to 12 levels of each of these new classes, combined with new items and skills that only these classes can obtain, and you get a very huge extension of game limitations. I think you get old and gray before trying all the paths.