[DIS][WIP] Rare mob dropping currently unobtainable items

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

AnonDuck
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: [DIS][WIP] Rare mob dropping currently unobtainable item

Post by AnonDuck »

It'll be abused. I guarantee it. There's no way it wouldn't be when there are "high-value" items involved.

Here's how I would abuse it:
Modify client to make a loud honking sound when the special mob appears.
Wait a random amount of time (up to 10 seconds) and attack this mob.
Pick up any drops. Walk back to home location, sit, and maybe randomly emote or say a phrase from a list of thousands.
If my name is said within 5 minutes of an attack and I don't respond within 30 seconds, forward chat to/from my phone's SMS for a bit.

These client modifications would take less than an hour to perform and I am an absolutely horrible programmer.. I could run as many of these as needed to cover the entire hurnscald area, 24/7.

You bet your ass someone else will do something similar. Why do you think there's so many clovers floating around even though it's droprate is tiny?

Find an un-abuseable way to get rares into the game and I'm cool with it. The proposal as it stands won't work.
Head of the TMW Illuminati
Mr.SlothFromSpace
Peon
Peon

Post by Mr.SlothFromSpace »

In my opinion we should have a dungeoun for this rare mob. We have to look at this mob as the end game...
veryape
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by veryape »

I made a new variant of the mouboo that is more "white" than the other, i am currently a bit too lazy to check it out in tmw-surroundings so someone, please do.

And also, i just made the regular mouboo converted to grayscale for the first version, the other is that and i fiddled a bit with the brightness, so i wouldn't consider it my work really, it is just tinkering around with someone elses fine work.
Attachments
white_mouboo_brighter.png
white_mouboo_brighter.png (31.45 KiB) Viewed 5906 times
white_mouboo.png
white_mouboo.png (30.89 KiB) Viewed 5906 times
Characters: veryape / Captain Dunce / Elvara / veryapeGM
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

I'd rather see this get finished if possible to be used for the new rare mob. Bat Holder

Agree with Mr.Sloth, dungeon + endgame = Best Of All Possible Win.
There we could have an End Boss like Illia with Rare drops + we could add a special rare mob that doesn't need to be beaten & might not always appear in that instance. That way people would still get something, but only the ultra lucky would get the Bonus spawn. This could also help balance out weapons gear for higher levels.
The secret to getting all the important stuff done is doing nothing.
ozthokk
Novice
Novice

Post by ozthokk »

veryape wrote:I made a new variant of the mouboo that is more "white" than the other, i am currently a bit too lazy to check it out in tmw-surroundings so someone, please do.

And also, i just made the regular mouboo converted to grayscale for the first version, the other is that and i fiddled a bit with the brightness, so i wouldn't consider it my work really, it is just tinkering around with someone elses fine work.
:lol: i'm a bit lazy to and did the same thing with a mouboo color variant a year ago, i have the file on my Mana flash drive, but i eventualy stepped it up a bit and did some color shading to make it look more like a dairy cow, so it would go along with my Mouboo Wrangler NPC, maybe i can post some of those sets if anyones interested. I am still just confused to no ends about the licensing thingy, thats why i have yet to make my art serious for the game :cry:
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

ozthokk wrote:
veryape wrote:I made a new variant of the mouboo that is more "white" than the other, i am currently a bit too lazy to check it out in tmw-surroundings so someone, please do.

:lol: i'm a bit lazy to and did the same thing with a mouboo color variant a year ago, i have the file on my Mana flash drive, but i eventualy stepped it up a bit and did some color shading to make it look more like a dairy cow, so it would go along with my Mouboo Wrangler NPC, maybe i can post some of those sets if anyones interested. I am still just confused to no ends about the licensing thingy, thats why i have yet to make my art serious for the game :cry:
If you have any licensing thingy questions, feel free to make a new topic about it. I'm sure there are people (including me) that are willing to answer any questions you might have about them :alt-3:

Or join the IRC channel, and ask there.
veryape
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by veryape »

MadCamel wrote:It'll be abused. I guarantee it. There's no way it wouldn't be when there are "high-value" items involved.

Here's how I would abuse it:
Modify client to make a loud honking sound when the special mob appears.
Wait a random amount of time (up to 10 seconds) and attack this mob.
Pick up any drops. Walk back to home location, sit, and maybe randomly emote or say a phrase from a list of thousands.
If my name is said within 5 minutes of an attack and I don't respond within 30 seconds, forward chat to/from my phone's SMS for a bit.

These client modifications would take less than an hour to perform and I am an absolutely horrible programmer.. I could run as many of these as needed to cover the entire hurnscald area, 24/7.

You bet your ass someone else will do something similar. Why do you think there's so many clovers floating around even though it's droprate is tiny?

Find an un-abuseable way to get rares into the game and I'm cool with it. The proposal as it stands won't work.
I saw that i never wrote down my thoughts about this argument, so here it goes.

I think that this is the wrong way around to think about things from the start. Sure it can be exploited, so can everything that gives xp in game, thus the problem with botting/automation in all mmorpgs.

However if our focus is to minimize all chances of botting we could always shut the game down tomorrow - problem solved.

From my point of view our main focus is to make content for the lawful/good player to enjoy as first priority, make it hard to exploit comes some way down the list of things that is important - otherwise we will hamper the development greatly. Also since the drop rate of rares are quite low.

This is quite an old and well discussed topic in the moral philosophy, at least in the field of utilitarianism, what is the goal? to maximize pleasure or minimize suffering. I would always go on the maximize thing first, and then have minimize suffering as the second target.

About the end game boss. Sure why not have both?
deepthought
Warrior
Warrior

Post by deepthought »

I don't like the idea. I prefer the idea of trading boss points for rares. Another way is, you can add rares at exotic trader for incredibly high price. I don't like the idea of gplayers getting these rares easily. Its very hard to find someone who sells rares and even harder to buy them with gp or other rares. Whatever maybe the method of obtaining rare, it will loose its value as rarity if it can be obtained easier than as it is now. When there are more of the same item its no longer called rare. Even if the drop rate if certain rare is 0.001%, people will find it. Here's the list of possible solutions:-

1. Make rares available for boss points.
2. Make rares available at exotic trader at very very high price.
3. Make rares as drop of some crypt boss similar to krukan. I suggest general terogan and razha should have some rare drops similar to darkhelm.
4. Another illia like quest which can be done at level 99 but there's some chance of getting rare and some minute chance of getting super rare.
I'm as cool and comforting as the porcelain tiles on your bathroom floor during an evening of vomiting.
AnonDuck
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by AnonDuck »

My thinking is that with this type of abuse the items wouldn't be rare anymore after a year or so, making the whole shebang kinda pointless.
Head of the TMW Illuminati
veryape
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by veryape »

deepthought wrote:I don't like the idea. I prefer the idea of trading boss points for rares. Another way is, you can add rares at exotic trader for incredibly high price. I don't like the idea of gplayers getting these rares easily. Its very hard to find someone who sells rares and even harder to buy them with gp or other rares. Whatever maybe the method of obtaining rare, it will loose its value as rarity if it can be obtained easier than as it is now. When there are more of the same item its no longer called rare. Even if the drop rate if certain rare is 0.001%, people will find it. Here's the list of possible solutions:-

1. Make rares available for boss points.
2. Make rares available at exotic trader at very very high price.
3. Make rares as drop of some crypt boss similar to krukan. I suggest general terogan and razha should have some rare drops similar to darkhelm.
4. Another illia like quest which can be done at level 99 but there's some chance of getting rare and some minute chance of getting super rare.
1. The mob spawns will themselves be rare.
The drop rate of rares will be low.

This leads to it not being really easy to get rares and that there won't be a big inflation of them. Since you talked of Krukan, have you seen many dark helms lately? And the spawns of Krukan is up to players, they pay for it.

2. This is not the only way to make rares obtainable, i still like the boss point idea, but some people seems to think that it is not a good idea. I think it is great because it would give the older player a new goal. And if they really wanted a special rare but havn't had a chance getting one it is a way to finally get one. And if youve got that many bosspoints you have earned it.
MadCamel wrote:My thinking is that with this type of abuse the items wouldn't be rare anymore after a year or so, making the whole shebang kinda pointless.
With a small enough droprate and rare enough spawn i don't see this as a big problem, the maths of it is tweakable to keep the rares rare.
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

veryape wrote:
MadCamel wrote:My thinking is that with this type of abuse the items wouldn't be rare anymore after a year or so, making the whole shebang kinda pointless.
With a small enough droprate and rare enough spawn i don't see this as a big problem, the maths of it is tweakable to keep the rares rare.
Madcamel have math on his side, even with a low drop rate it will just increase the number of this item in game, so on a large scale item "won't be rare" anymore.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
jasm
Peon
Peon

Post by jasm »

Reid wrote:
veryape wrote:
Madcamel have math on his side, even with a low drop rate it will just increase the number of this item in game, so on a large scale item "won't be rare" anymore.
if it will take years to become not that rare from "alsmost impossible to get one" its not that bad eh
veryape
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by veryape »

Reid wrote:
veryape wrote:
I beg to differ, i think that we lose more rares from old players that have quit game than this thing will ever introduce again. Say we spawn one of them ever 24 hours, and they have a 0,02% chance of dropping a eye patch, how many days between drops will it be in if it drops statistically predictable? I don't see it as a huge problem.
Mikko
Peon
Peon

Post by Mikko »

Reid wrote: Madcamel have math on his side, even with a low drop rate it will just increase the number of this item in game, so on a large scale item "won't be rare" anymore.
Nah, It'll be fine. It will take a very long time for the items to be dropped, so I doubt that we'll see these items in huge numbers anytime soon.
Spoiler:
(Shh, that's the plan.)
cat.jpg
cat.jpg (29.51 KiB) Viewed 5838 times
veryape wrote: I beg to differ, i think that we lose more rares from old players that have quit game than this thing will ever introduce again. Say we spawn one of them ever 24 hours, and they have a 0,02% chance of dropping a eye patch, how many days between drops will it be in if it drops statistically predictable? I don't see it as a huge problem.
Veryape has a point, old players leaving the game with their rares in tow is a problem. It will only get harder to obtain rares as time goes by, unless they're reintroduced in some way.
Thanks for pointing this out. :)
ChaosCrossAG
Novice
Novice

Post by ChaosCrossAG »

Just tossing this idea out there, How about the rares in question just be altered in a way that makes them unique. Like how the eggshell hat was recolored for the Easter quest. Or adding some extra details to others. Or not just rares, but commons like the Bandana only make a dyeable version. That way the people who have those old rares won`t feel like their rares that they worked hard getting will be common place again. Just a thought.. :wink: