Set-up mirrored repos for source? [Dis]

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Set-up Source Mirrors?

Poll ended at 23 Feb 2015, 16:04

Yes
60%
No
40%

Total votes: 10
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Set-up mirrored repos for source? [Dis]

Post by wushin »

What does everything think about pushing the code from github out to sourceforge, gitorious or others. Just mirrors though we'd not use them for anything else other than to mirror code.

Mainly this is to help suck people looking for code deeper in. We took down the old code that didn't work, but we never replaced it with the new source. I think this could help grab a few more devs and players.

We already have accounts on gitorious and soruceforge. So we'd only need to set-up the push to remotes part.
The secret to getting all the important stuff done is doing nothing.
Meicchi
Novice
Novice

Re: Set-up mirrored repos for source? [Dis]

Post by Meicchi »

It's always interesting, +1 from me.
Find me in-game:
  • * Puncake (main) - light path mage, lv 79, she is actually a pumpkin
    * Meicchi (retired?) - slow speed archer, eternal lv 70 and Ginny's bastard twin
    * Fluttersly - rage warrior, lv 58, knows no jokes and has a mane
Brazilian Portuguese translation coordinator - Make part! / Faça parte!
https://www.transifex.com/organization/akaras/dashboard
https://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/Pt:Main_Page
Spoiler:
Yes, imma noob.
Cassy's official fan-clubber
gumi
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by gumi »

+1 but I would also mirror to google code hosting and maybe codeplex
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

Let's start gathering a list to see if it gains some steam.
  • gitorious.org
  • sourceforge.net
  • Google Code
  • Codeplex
The secret to getting all the important stuff done is doing nothing.
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

I say no, because:

* This will just add confusion about where the main development of the project happens. You don't want anybody to be looking at a mirror, because it will not show most of your activity (pull requests, bug reports, forks, etc.).

* Most of the mentioned services have their own issues, forks and pull request systems, and they can't always be turned off. Again, this will only add confusion especially when somebody will inevitably try to report a bug or fork on the "wrong" service.

There is no end to available hosting services, but I think you need to pick one and use it well. Mirroring your code everywhere will just give a bad impression and I really doubt it will have any positive effect on attracting new developers.
AnonDuck
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by AnonDuck »

Agreed with Bjorn on this one. It's already kinda hard to figure out what's going on with the code unless you know where to look on the wiki. Teh googlez returns gitorious etc and there's no way to know which codebase is active, where to submit PR's, etc.

Spamming our code everywhere doesn't seem like a good way to attract new developers.. Just confuse them.

Also, don't we have enough crap to maintain already?
Head of the TMW Illuminati