Documentation

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Siegfried
Novice
Novice

Documentation

Post by Siegfried »

Hi,

is there any documentation about the network protocol the servers use? I'm particularly interested in the char server protocol, since i want to try do write a new char server that is compatible with the login and map servers. But i can't find the information.

I found a protocol documentation for manasource, but that protocol seems to be different from that of tmw athena or hercules servers.

Why i want to write a new char server? Well, i think the proeprties/attributes system is too complicated, too error-prone and not flexible enough. So i'm currently experimenting with a new properties model, which can be loaded completely via xml, and where the various property interactions may be configured. Skills and weapons and other items then simply get their own properties, which, when equipped or used or whatever, are inserted into this property tree and so automatically update anything necessary, without explicitely coding it. I hope this will result in much less errors in property handling. Well, at least i hope so. I'm writing it with c++11 and with the boost lib, which should both result in quite good quality.

Currently i'm still experimenting with this properties tree. But sooner or later i would have to do real tests, and for this i need the protocol documentation.
jasm
Peon
Peon

Re: Documentation

Post by jasm »

Knight
Knight

Re: Documentation

Post by 4144 »

Siegfried, the mana world probably will switch to other server soon. This mean your work can be useless
For properties need change not only char server but also map server.