Elements

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Rawng
Peon
Peon

Re: Elements

Post by Rawng »

I'd like to see the Wu Xing system implemented https://github.com/Tuxemon/Tuxemon/wiki/creature-types

There is already a lot of reasoning and symbology associated with it which would make it easier to work with.

Wikipedia link for more information https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wu_Xing
gumi
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by gumi »

and just like they do in Naruto we could have type combinations:

Simple:
Complex:

I would still much rather prefer the Japanese elements as it might be easier to implement than elements such as "metal"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_elem ... hilosophy)
Cassy
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Cassy »

wushin wrote:Well for sanity's sake, I'd prefer somewhere between 4 and 16. We can always add more later. Our current amount 10 appears to be nice number to start with.
Agreed, though some elements (poison, spirit, undead) should be replaced.
Main characters:
Lv.94 - Cassy - speedarcher on dark path, bunny-wannabe, would like to ride on a Mouboo once...
Lv.95 - Biqcassy - mage on light path, addicted to her Fluffy Hat, love-hates Fallens, really misses Confused Tree...
Lv.70 - Simca. - dreams of becoming a speedarcher on light path, still has a lot to learn...

Personal development overview | priorities | wiki to-do | wiki profile incl. other characters

[20:24:59] <Cassy> debug npc in crypts!
[20:25:02] <Cassy> just a joke...
[20:25:08] <wushin> DONT DO THAT
[20:25:10] <o11c> !slap Cassy
SDN
Novice
Novice

Post by SDN »

Hmm, i like the idea. Few days ago i talked with a player named Scoubidou about casting #inma on a drunken skeleton that should've kill it if this game were using element logics. But then i'm worried about warriors. How can warriors with few weapon choices and no spell can fully utilize element system? Also, how about player defense against additional elemental damage from mobs? Should we add permanent or temporary elemental defense attributes to limited choices of armors in anyways?

So, my point is, if we were to have element system, we need either new weapons and armors with equally divided elemental attributes, new elemental attack and defense skills/items, or warriors and some archers may have to fully rely on mage when facing elemental mobs (that if only mage who can cast elemental buff to other player). IMO, the third option is not fair. Imagine a bull tank surrounded by the high level undeads while the only mage available for him is busy keeping himself save in Terrogan's next chamber. 8) I prefer items, for example we can use gems to add temporary elemental attributes to weapons and or armor.
Last edited by SDN on 13 Aug 2015, 06:09, edited 1 time in total.
Cassy
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Cassy »

@SDN: That's the second or third step already ;)
We should start with choosing which elements TMW will be using and how the (dis)advantages between them will look like.

Then we can care about weapons, armors and such (as I mentioned in my first post :D ).
Main characters:
Lv.94 - Cassy - speedarcher on dark path, bunny-wannabe, would like to ride on a Mouboo once...
Lv.95 - Biqcassy - mage on light path, addicted to her Fluffy Hat, love-hates Fallens, really misses Confused Tree...
Lv.70 - Simca. - dreams of becoming a speedarcher on light path, still has a lot to learn...

Personal development overview | priorities | wiki to-do | wiki profile incl. other characters

SDN
Novice
Novice

Post by SDN »

Noted! Yes, Cassy. From previous talk i thought you're all agree that choosing the simplest elemental system is the most practical way to implement them within the current game system. That means removing 3 elements that already exist. You can always add new elements later. So, the next problem is how this thing works. :P
Cassy
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Cassy »

@SDN not sure if we agreed, but thanks for reminding me :D

1.) Everyone, can we agree that for the start we go with these elements:

Code: Select all

neutral = 0
water   = 1
earth   = 2
fire    = 3
wind    = 4
_holy   = 6
dark    = 7
and not use these:

Code: Select all

poison  = 5
_spirit = 8
undead  = 9

2.) Any more elements we should add from start?
Really, only those that just have to exist right from the start.
We can add new elements later, so no super special elements right now.

Personally I think of Wood and Ice.
Wood just mustn't miss and we have use for Ice (Nivalis mobs, Ice Gladius).
Main characters:

EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

Yes, why have holy and spirit a underscore in front of their name? Does it has a special meaning? If not, why not remove the underscore?
Let me ask these questions again. :alt-7:
Cassy
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Cassy »

EJlol wrote:Let me ask these questions again. :alt-7:
Personally... I have no idea :alt-9:
Main characters:

SDN
Novice
Novice

Post by SDN »

Cassy wrote:
EJlol wrote:Let me ask these questions again. :alt-7:
Personally... I have no idea :alt-9:
LOL :lol:

Anw, i agree with just 8 basic elements with 3 additional elements from the start (not just ice and wood, we still have #ingrav for lightning... oh, i can't wait to see mages barely can fully use ingrav on co-elements mobs. lol).
gumi
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by gumi »

SDN wrote:Also, how about player defense against additional elemental damage from mobs? Should we add permanent or temporary elemental defense attributes to limited choices of armors in anyways?
We are working on a species system. The player will be allowed to choose a species for their character and each of those species will be powerful against 1 type and weak against another, except for the Talponian (Human) race which would be neutral (no buff or debuff).
SDN wrote:So, my point is, if we were to have element system, we need either new weapons and armors with equally divided elemental attributes, new elemental attack and defense skills/items, or warriors and some archers may have to fully rely on mage when facing elemental mobs (that if only mage who can cast elemental buff to other player).
There's also plans for elemental weapons (ie Fire Sword).
SDN wrote:I prefer items, for example we can use gems to add temporary elemental attributes to weapons and or armor.
Socketable weapons could be a good idea but it would require to modify both the client and the server so if we do this it won't be soon
gumi
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by gumi »

If we use the Japanese system we could make Talponian (human) use Ether (aka Void) which is neutral and add 4 new races which have elements

^ I know that table makes little sense but it's the best combination I could come up with while still keeping it balanced

I suggest:
Ether - Talponian
Water - Tritan
Fire - Ifriton
Wind - Sparron
Earth - Gispaan

http://wiki.themanaworld.net/index.php/Races
hm the old proposal on the old TMW suggest that earth is Talpan (Talponian) so maybe Gispaan is supposed to be human and Talponian the earth race

edit: Our own wiki says the Gispaan are mining and ranching people so I guess it could be the Earth element
https://www.themanaworld.org/index.php/Before_the_Quake
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

For clarification, is this correct?
  • No effect - means 0 DMG
  • Normal - regualar DMG
  • Super Effective - DMG Bonus
  • Not Very Effective - DMG penality
The secret to getting all the important stuff done is doing nothing.
gumi
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by gumi »

no damage = dmg x 0
not very effective = dmg x 0.5
normal = dmg x 1
super effective = dmg x 2
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

Sounds simple and reasonable. From species to elements.
The secret to getting all the important stuff done is doing nothing.