How should native guild work?

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

How should native guild work?

Post by wushin »

When guild is native to TMWA the creation, joining, leaving, etc. can be done via a script so NPC or Magic could do them.

From what I understand our current process is:
  • Someone asks a GM to create a Guild
  • GM uses a command to create it
  • Player that created it can invite people
  • Players can leave via a command
Ideas floating in my head: Add a Npc to create/delete guilds. Provide some means of small quest to eliminate people trying to fill our disk with guilds. Possibly limit NPC to a GM level or BaseLevel.

Open to hearing about how people want this to work and why. Please Comment.
The secret to getting all the important stuff done is doing nothing.
deepthought
Warrior
Warrior

Re: How should native guild work?

Post by deepthought »

Like i already said in some other post we don't need more than one or two new guilds based on the number of players. I don't there are more than 80 players in TMW.

Let's say 100 players including the ones who will never come online. If we assume 20 players for each guild, we don't need more than 5 guilds. Currently there are 4 guilds so we can have at max one more guild.

So for the sake of one guild we don't need to create another npc or any other useless stuff. Just ask player to make a poll here and if he gets atleast 20 votes his guild will be created.
I'm as cool and comforting as the porcelain tiles on your bathroom floor during an evening of vomiting.
Rawng
Peon
Peon

Post by Rawng »

I do not understand the desire to limit the number of guilds or the desire to subject guild creation to forum poll or gm approval.

if every player decided that they wanted to be in their own guild it would not affect any other player in the slightest way.

for that reason I do not support these kinds of limits on guilds.

also, the creation of a guild npc is no burden on the content team. I volunteer to create this npc if it is accepted.

of course, there should be some limit on the ability to create guilds. IMO it should be required to complete a mid to mid-high level quest.
Travolta
Novice
Novice

Post by Travolta »

Rawng wrote:I do not understand the desire to limit the number of guilds or the desire to subject guild creation to forum poll or gm approval.

if every player decided that they wanted to be in their own guild it would not affect any other player in the slightest way.
I agree with that. There's no need to limit the number of guilds, eventually the inactive guilds will just die, and the most active will stay.
I agree with wushin -- there should be some conditions to make a guild. I suggest to pay some amount of GP (for example 1kk) to some NPC that creates guilds. But it would be even nicer if there was some collective quest for 5+ players (like illia, just much easier), and completing this quest would make possible to create a guild.

It should be possible to avoid scams -- for example if somebody takes "Crew of Red Corsair" name before Reid, a GM should delete that guild, and maybe ban the players.

There could be a guild storage, and players with a certain rang (access level) could access it. It's like normal storage, but many players can take items and put into it.

Guild events should be an important part of the game. The game could have a built-in mechanics to notify own members and/or members of other guilds about their events.

And of course guild chat. Life would be boring without it :-)
Rawng
Peon
Peon

Post by Rawng »

Travolta wrote:There could be a guild storage
And of course guild chat. Life would be boring without it :-)
guild chat already works and guild storage is a planned feature :)