Rares & availability [DIS]

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Rares & availability [DIS]

Post by wushin »

Already numerous threads (recent and old) on this topic. Clearly players want items reintroduced or changed to fit current needs.

In order to add/change/protect or do anything with the "Rares", we first and foremost need a list of what items are considered "Rares".

I'd suggest using the following criteria, As it does away with needless rares; people saving quest drops from old events/quests, Items in-game accidently that were intended to be released as a drop, etc. While at the same time preserving the "Rares" that are really rares; Four-leaf Clover, Heart Glasses, etc.
  • Intentionally low drop rate or availability
  • Of High Quality for Vanity or Use
  • A mark of completing some large goal
The secret to getting all the important stuff done is doing nothing.
Cassy
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Rares & availability [DIS]

Post by Cassy »

Just a note for now: I'd rather go with the term "unobtainables".
Our rares are fine, our unobtainables aren't.
Main characters:
Lv.94 - Cassy - speedarcher on dark path, bunny-wannabe, would like to ride on a Mouboo once...
Lv.95 - Biqcassy - mage on light path, addicted to her Fluffy Hat, love-hates Fallens, really misses Confused Tree...
Lv.70 - Simca. - dreams of becoming a speedarcher on light path, still has a lot to learn...

Personal development overview | priorities | wiki to-do | wiki profile incl. other characters

[20:24:59] <Cassy> debug npc in crypts!
[20:25:02] <Cassy> just a joke...
[20:25:08] <wushin> DONT DO THAT
[20:25:10] <o11c> !slap Cassy
Chicka-Maria
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Chicka-Maria »

It really depends on how you call unobtainables, because the items *are* obtainable just not through quests but through circulation just like these "unobtainables" are in other games played. People just need to learn how to obtain them through other players.

Though personally I think a NPC would be fair, but with high prices so its a last resort for people who don't want to talk to each other.

~Chicka
Yubaba
TMWC Member of The Mana World
Leader of The Mana Empire (TME)
[19:41] Ladysugar: he told me to push a setzer up his rear
www.deviantart.com/comfycheeks - Old Deviant Art
William James wrote:Act as If what you do make's a difference, because It does.
Cassy
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Cassy »

Yeah, unobtainable through game content ;)
Main characters:
Lv.94 - Cassy - speedarcher on dark path, bunny-wannabe, would like to ride on a Mouboo once...
Lv.95 - Biqcassy - mage on light path, addicted to her Fluffy Hat, love-hates Fallens, really misses Confused Tree...
Lv.70 - Simca. - dreams of becoming a speedarcher on light path, still has a lot to learn...

Personal development overview | priorities | wiki to-do | wiki profile incl. other characters

[20:24:59] <Cassy> debug npc in crypts!
[20:25:02] <Cassy> just a joke...
[20:25:08] <wushin> DONT DO THAT
[20:25:10] <o11c> !slap Cassy
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

I'm not aware of any items that are unobtainable that weren't also planned to be used as quest award.

Even the golden plate and beret we're meant to be available via game content of some sort.

Granted these are "Rares" and just shouldn't be handed out like hot cakes.
prsm
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by prsm »

Everything that is rare or unobtainable is available through gmstorage at Christmas time.

I would also argue to keep them rare and unobtainable, we only replenish gmstorage when need be.

Just a thought and my 2 cents.

Prsm
ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity!
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

Yes I'm fine with that, We just need a list of Rare/Unobtainable and what makes them as such if we want to add more later, we will need clarification.
Chicka-Maria
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Chicka-Maria »

prsm wrote:Everything that is rare or unobtainable is available through gmstorage at Christmas time.

I would also argue to keep them rare and unobtainable, we only replenish gmstorage when need be.

Just a thought and my 2 cents.

Prsm
+1

Proves there is another way they *are* going through circulation, the GMs get the rares of inactive accounts from the last time it was mentioned as well. So they don't just disappear...

It's basically what cassy said the items that are in game and unable to obtain through content of the game excluding other player trades and gm events.
Yubaba
TMWC Member of The Mana World
Leader of The Mana Empire (TME)
[19:41] Ladysugar: he told me to push a setzer up his rear
www.deviantart.com/comfycheeks - Old Deviant Art
William James wrote:Act as If what you do make's a difference, because It does.
soseki
Novice
Novice

Post by soseki »

What is this nonsense ?
You have closed both my polls as if the players opinion doesn't matter only to discuss the meaning of the word "rare" which is something everyone knows.
I give up, this hopeless, no matter how much we try(the players) you will never listen to us.
“I do not want your admiration now, because I do not want your insults in the future. I bear with my loneliness now, in order to avoid greater loneliness in the years ahead. You see, loneliness is the price we have to pay for being born in this modern age, so full of freedom, independence, and our own egotistical selves.”
SriNitayanda
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by SriNitayanda »

soseki wrote:What is this nonsense ?
You have closed both my polls as if the players opinion doesn't matter only to discuss the meaning of the word "rare" which is something everyone knows.
I give up, this hopeless, no matter how much we try(the players) you will never listen to us.
wushin wrote:Already numerous threads (recent and old) on this topic. Clearly players want items reintroduced or changed to fit current needs.
Seems like there is no need for the polls anymore, cause your opinion is the opinion of the majority of players.
The topic is rare & availability, meaning how and what do we introduce back to the game.
If you got idea's you can either dev them yourself, or discuss it here.

My opinion is that we need to save some stuff for gm events, like we got murderer crown now (which can only be obtained by killing a GM), if we make all items available, maybe leave a few unobtainable for gm events.
In control of tmw media (aka @broadcast) and tmw financial sector (aka GMstorage) | also a member of tmw Bilderberg Group (aka Phoenix Council guild)
2013-11/26/#General.log:[15:00] veryape: meh, guild is down, we cant conspire at all
deepthought
Warrior
Warrior

Post by deepthought »

The game has become more centric on rares these days. So many polls, writings on the wall. I would like the TMWC to solve this problem once in for all. Here are possible solutions :-

1. Make all rares/unobtainables easily like they did in land of fire. Drops from monsters.
2. VeryApe's idea of introducing rares through exotic trader and/or buying with boss points.
3. Make the rares available through annual events like christmas, easter.
4. Let the system remain as it is. Rares and unobtainables are called because of what they are. Like the old years introduce new item in christmas and easter events. Eventually in years they will also be rares.
5. Banish all the rares. It's the best solution. New players dont need to complain because no one will wear them and then i guess people would talk more about what to do in game besides obtaining rares.
I'm as cool and comforting as the porcelain tiles on your bathroom floor during an evening of vomiting.
Saulc
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Post by Saulc »

deepthought wrote: 2. VeryApe's idea of introducing rares through exotic trader and/or buying with boss points.
3. Make the rares available through annual events like christmas, easter.
4. Let the system remain as it is. Rares and unobtainables are called because of what they are. Like the old years introduce new item in christmas and easter events. Eventually in years they will also be rares.
im Agree with this point +1
But for second point add new item for boss point !

and add new rare aht everyears !

-Regards
-MAF-Saulc
Feel Free to join Moubootaur Legends server now!
ML GitLab
ML Discord
veryape
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by veryape »

Since my old idea was mentioned.

I want someone to hand out rares for boss points, but stupidly high prices, so i don't want to flood the market with rares. I just want every player to have a way of earning their favoured rare that they have lusted for since they first saw it.

Say that a eye patch is 50k bosspoints. It is obtainable, but by no way easy to get hold of. I still want them to keep value. Some of us has payed thru our noses for the rares we have and we don't want all that grinding to feel like it was unnecessary to get the colletions that we have.

However this is just my idea, i started scripting for it but gave up when my life got more busy. I won't develop it, it is just my idea of making unobtainables obtainable again but still keep their rarity. I would also like to introduce a new hat for that purpose, my idea was the crown. That way most of the older players with many boss points can choose a hat that they don't have, and we won't flood the market with new eye patches or similar rare hats.

That is just my solution, i bet others can come up with better ones. Also if someone is willing to realize my idea by scripting for it i would love to help out with dialogue/story.
Characters: veryape / Captain Dunce / Elvara / veryapeGM
ozthokk
Novice
Novice

Post by ozthokk »

Suppose i will post it again, seeing as i got little to no response to it as always :| and it got insanely buried :| viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19388.. I like Veryapes, but i think other options to obtain Boss Points should be added. :D MORE MINI GAMES :D , such as my idea,,,hmm, my idea does seem like Candor i guess, but its for now just an example.
soseki
Novice
Novice

Post by soseki »

ozthokk wrote:Suppose i will post it again, seeing as i got little to no response to it as always :| and it got insanely buried :| viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19388.. I like Veryapes, but i think other options to obtain Boss Points should be added. :D MORE MINI GAMES :D , such as my idea,,,hmm, my idea does seem like Candor i guess, but its for now just an example.
This is a great idea, I would also like to suggest more Candor-like dungeons all over the big cities, also some dungeons for low level players.
“I do not want your admiration now, because I do not want your insults in the future. I bear with my loneliness now, in order to avoid greater loneliness in the years ahead. You see, loneliness is the price we have to pay for being born in this modern age, so full of freedom, independence, and our own egotistical selves.”