character creation / multiple starting points [Dis]

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

character creation / multiple starting points [Dis]

Post by wushin »

In order to support the wider array of genders/species in the TMW, I'd like to propose an multiple starting area scenario.

Things looking to accomplish:
  • Select and Change Gender during a NPC dialogue
  • Select and Change Species during a NPC dialogue
  • One-Way Portals to Nivalis, Hurnscald, Argeas, Tulimshar, or Pachua's Village (multiple starts)
The map should just be a single image of something very "Astral Plane" looking. Nasa image of galaxies or Universe or something like that. the map's edges should warp you back to the map so it seems like an endless loop.

On the map should be the NPCs for Character Creation so the player interact and change/create the rest of their character. Players can start this map with a "default" or randomly generated "default". Leaving via one of the portals should ask them to confirm Species & Gender. The NPCs themselves can be statues, pillars, anything "Ancient or Ruins or etc." looking.
The secret to getting all the important stuff done is doing nothing.
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Re: character creation / multiple starting points [Dis]

Post by EJlol »

So basically you want to move the player generation in-game instead of the client gui generation we have now? Sounds like a good improvement to me :)

Another question: does the client support parallaxes? That would be cool to see on this map :mrgreen:
gumi
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by gumi »

the client support parallax for ambient effects
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

Wushin asked me to post some more thoughts to this topic:

As for the tileset, this tileset might be a start:
viewtopic.php?p=123726#p123726

Combine this with several parallaxes to create a 3d-ish effect, and particle effects, you can make this map look really cool and awsome. This is IMO important, as this map will be the first thing a player will see. Make this look awsome, and (s)he will think the whole game will look awsome. And before (s)he realizes it's not, (s)he is already part of the community :alt-5:

As for the multiple starts, we already said something about it at irc (I took the liberty to remove some chatter):
[19:48] <EJlol> but I wonder what you expect will happen with multiple player start points with the amount of new player we get
[19:51] <wushin> You gain immersion from multiple starting areas
[19:51] <wushin> As long as all roads lead to Rome it will be ok.
With the small player base we have I doubt people will be immersed enough to reach Rome. The way I would imagine a MMORPG world with a small player base is like this:

People start at Rome, where the community is, and expand over the world. The further they go the more dangerous it becomes. The advantage for this is that new players don't have trouble to find the community and start at a relative safe place for them. They can wander in and around the starting area without having to be worried to be killed. While they also have no trouble to find other players, that may want to help them to understand the game or help with a quest. As they level up, they will be able to explore more and more and and see new things every time. The further away they are, the less players they will meet, but that is oke, since by then they understand how the game works.

I don't get immersion by multiple starting areas, I get immersion by seeing that this game is not just played by only me.
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

Well since all starting areas would be 0-20 level areas easily, if not 0-10 like pointed out. There would be no reason not to directly link them in a barrier free way, such as boats and quests.

Already one can transverse Candor/Newbiungton, Hurnscald/Argeas, Nivalis/Kaizei, Tulimshar/Tonori at level 1.

Candor is pinned by water but still follows a progression of tougher mobs around the island. (Includes high level dungeon as well Candor)

Hurnscald/Tulimshar areas are about a horse a piece now with mob levels. Nivalis isn't that far off that it can't be brought in-line.

Thus heat-maps of mob strength radiating outward from the cities could be done and multiple starting areas accomplished.

@EJlol The key point you hit on though, Starting players MUST find the other players.

NOTE: For round 1 of this while it will accommodate multiple starting areas, IMO, we shouldn't add them till later.
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

Bit of a WIP on the map so far.

TeZeR.D
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by TeZeR.D »

Looks great!
Im assuming the starting island is different depending on race?
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

The main starting area will be the same for all (The Mana) and everyone will go to the same place (Candor Island) when finished, for now.

We will have to add some lower content and better map out mob strength around lowbie starting points and make sure newbs can make it to the large player groups.

Glad you like it, still has work to be done.
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

@EJlol, you get any further on some art for this?
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

Yes I have. Though not yet a point I call it finished. I have the floor and columns done. Now I am recreating the statues. I will post a wip later.