[FUSION] [DIS] TMW data merge & the economy

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Keep everything or burn everything?

Migrate as much data as possible
57%
Migrate the bare minimum and compensate the players (see compensation thread)
43%

Total votes: 92
dragoon84
Novice
Novice

Re: [DIS] TMW data merge & the economy

Post by dragoon84 »

You who call me names your obsession by trolls is almost sick (i don't want to be aggressive but if you keep calling me that i will lose my calm :twisted: )
Quests, drops and rewards of tmw is a non issue because in the "new game" will be rares (that are really rare) and other stuff so calm down. Like the member of committee says, excluding chika-maria that is living in the past, the rares unobtainable will become obtainable so WAIT FOR THE NEW GAME.
Another thing the tmw will be legacy serve that mean i will be out of there :lol:
Ash (Ringo-Chan)
Newly Registered User

Re: [DIS] TMW data merge & the economy

Post by Ash (Ringo-Chan) »

Migrate the bare minimum and compensate the players at least in my personal opinion is the best choice for a fresh start in the new proyect.

Because the problem that has lashed its economy, basically is only based on specific and almost Inaccessible stuff for many players.

☯So new proyect, new start, better economy and a better future. ☯

☯There may be lost, but all for the sake of the project, I invite those who are not strongly agree they see the positive side.☯

I know that nothing is written yet but it's just my humble opinion ladies and gentlemen.

Cheers.
Rill
Novice
Novice

Re: [FUSION] [DIS] TMW data merge & the economy

Post by Rill »

bump

Edited to add the following:

When this poll opened almost three years ago, I voted to "Migrate as much data as possible".
That is still my vote.
Last edited by Rill on 15 May 2019, 02:58, edited 1 time in total.
lordvlad
Peon
Peon

Post by lordvlad »

Please "Migrate as much data as possible."
tomminator
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by tomminator »

my proposal is this:

at certain time, when the new server is considered ready, a snapshot of the old accounts is taken.

in the new server a higher lvl quest (lvl70+ or so) will become available.

this quest gives you access to a chest which contains your items from old tmw

however items will only become available if:
  • the art meets the new standards (no more ugly hats)
  • the items have stats equal or lower as items available already in game
when old items are improved to meet the new standards, they will become available in the chest
if a new item is released with stats equal or higher as old items, the old items will become available in the chest
money will not be transferred

all this to keep the new server pretty and balanced
This is not a placeholder
Hello=)
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Hello=) »

I voted "migrate as much data as possible". At which point I'm feeling a bit sorry for devs, since I understand it means hell a lot of challenge. But I do think that pretending it a "fusion" imply inherent obligations&unique challenges, unfortunately, unless devs got in mood do it ManaServ way.

If someone forgot or missed it, ManaServ been rather interesting from technical standpoint, offering advanced capabilities and lacking shortcomings of TMW server. But it has been totally new world, so nearly nobody gave crap about it. So it had issues with content and lacked players willing to use it. So it got stuck, devs lost traction and project as whole collapsed to degree 4144 ditched ManaServ protocol support from ManaPlus...

When it comes to "compensations" I do not care about stupid "free lunch" kind of thing. Many items I have were gifted by players when they were quiting the game and therefore serve as memory of good times spent together. How one imagines "compensating" it? Without this, for me it would be totally new world, not TMW I knew and enjoyed, therefore hardly a "fusion". New project? Yes. Fusion and TMW successor? Not a case. One can't call self TMW if they lack TMW items and experience. This said, I'm 100% ok about changing items stats and so on if it helps in getting more sane PvE and PvP balancing, etc. I don't care much about item stats unless they are totally odd and/or out of place or seriously break gameplay.

So my concern that starting as totally new world would split (already thin) community across 2 servers, could make some more ppl (rage)quit, and I'm afraid overall result could turn into 2 almost-dead servers, none of which gathers enough players to get "MMO" part of action happen. At which point all attempts to re-bootstrap community & reasonable gameplay would be just as easy as bringing ManaServ to glory.
Last edited by Hello=) on 14 May 2019, 21:30, edited 2 times in total.
Chicka-Maria
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Chicka-Maria »

My vote still stands for "Migrate as much data as possible".

Compensating the player base for what they earned over the years is nothing compared to the memories they have in the game from earning the current things they have. I also don't think "starting over" benefits anybody except for the new players that might join and the devs who wish to wipe and have not much to lose as they aren't losing much at all compared to those who have been on this game 10+ years (Or actively having goals of obtaining items in game by farming currency and winning old quiz nights/events). I get how the devs want to start over, but if they wanted to start completely fresh they are risking the current player base and the old ones who have recently come back. IMO If there was going to be a fresh start it would need to be with a fresh server/game. No reason to wipe this server completely.

But that's my opinion and it looks like the majority too at the moment from the past 3 years.
Yubaba
TMWC Member of The Mana World
Leader of The Mana Empire (TME)
[19:41] Ladysugar: he told me to push a setzer up his rear
www.deviantart.com/comfycheeks - Old Deviant Art
William James wrote:Act as If what you do make's a difference, because It does.
HaloNott

Post by HaloNott »

Imagine if it was all my artwork that went poof. :alt-4:
Not that I have any in it now. :alt-3:

Well, I'd say I came back for the Mana World and definitely not Evol (ugh the opening artwork. I ran away from other sexist games now here it is again?).

To be honest, don't delete the old server. Some(2-3?) other users have said all they played was The Mana World and no other server.

If it's going to be Evol, I don't think I'd have much of an interest developing artwork for it (mind I'm still in dev academy :alt-8:)

I also think if you are going to merge then pick the option that would give the most stability to Evol. Currently, I don't understand the risk value of either option and I'd rather not vote for a merger :| . Do what you think is best, I guess.
Apple.
Peon
Peon

Post by Apple. »

A few thoughts:

contra keeping things:
-new players have the chance to catch up
-what to do with all the 'old' stuff that comes from the old game, isnt that quite a mess then?
-this flame-war thingens
-more attractive for new players in my oppinion, but only if we not lose the playerbase of old players
-have the things in the new game even a value in comparison?

pro keeping things:
-risk of loosing the old players

Im for a fresh start with compensation. Or only keep things if they fit in the new environment.
On the other hand: Its a game and the economy will sort itself out without harming anyone...
Last edited by Apple. on 15 May 2019, 13:13, edited 1 time in total.

Chars: Apple., Kiwi., Kobold, AppleStore <3

gumi
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by gumi »

there's a third option we could consider: account-bound items

basically everyone would keep their items but they would not be able to trade them so it wouldn't affect the economy
Apple.
Peon
Peon

Post by Apple. »

gumi wrote: 15 May 2019, 12:53 there's a third option we could consider: account-bound items

basically everyone would keep their items but they would not be able to trade them so it wouldn't affect the economy
If you cant show or wear it it would be like a ghost-storage. Lots of dead things.
And if you can show or wear it its even more unfair, because the others would never be able to posses it as well.

Chars: Apple., Kiwi., Kobold, AppleStore <3

Hello=)
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Hello=) »

That third option would
1) Keep noobs frustrated: they can't have all these cool items, feeling like 2nd-class citizens.
2) Create a lot of unobtainable things, frustrating nearly everyone and bringing odds like inability to xfer items to own alt on another account, etc.
3) It would underuse hell a lot of existing art, and from historic perspective it isn't like TMW had too much items, especially battle/outfit gears. Except maybe hats. That sounds like waste of art and missing of chance to have plenty of items.

p.s. I understand it can be hard to transfer items and especially their stats without ruining gameplay (I can imagine balancing battle system vs items stats could be hard) in reasonable timeframe. As one idea, maybe take "phased" approach? Like that:
- Phase 1: items are transferred, but are mostly decorations, outfit-only, with zero or quite useless stats. I can imagine it can be viable compromise for 1st release if being under time pressure, no? Would surely bring some bitching, but it could be spinned down by promises to adjust item stats later.
- Phase 2: look how battle system performs in practice and gradually tweak items stats on case by case basis to fit these items into gameplay reasonably. This can take some time and not have to be bound to stringent deadline or so, I guess. This also may imply that some items could be temporarily "unobtainable" until relevant quests are implemented, etc (at which point they are better to be obtainable by everyone).

p.s. ...but this idea could also be crazy batshit for some reasons I failed to foresee. There is always a chance.
HaloNott

Post by HaloNott »

Can we have a museum for all the old art? Maybe we could try it out/ taste it, too?

Can NPC's/enemies wear the old art?

Basically a space to experience all the old stuff (music, art, all of it), lol. :mrgreen:
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

We already have it right here :wink: : viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5616&hilit=art+collection
HaloNott

Post by HaloNott »

:shock: Niiiicccee.

You know nowadays there are apps that could insta switch art to pixel art, eh? :alt-9: