[FUSION] [DIS] Keep the old server alive?

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Keep the legacy server alive after the Evol merge?

Poll ended at 19 Aug 2016, 17:45

Keep the legacy server alive alongside the new server
56%
Do not keep the legacy server, migrate some or most of the data to the new server
44%

Total votes: 27
gumi
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

[FUSION] [DIS] Keep the old server alive?

Post by gumi »

Read before: TMW & Evol merge

It is possible to keep both the new and the old TMW servers alive after the merge with Evol. This means you would see two The Mana World server in the server list: legacy server and new server. There is 2 ways to go:

Keep the two servers alive
The legacy server would still have all the items, accounts, etc (untouched data) and would still be running the old & rusty tmwAthena. No new content would be added to the legacy server and we would only patch outstanding bugs. All development effort would go to the new server (Evol+TMW, running Hercules). We would keep both servers running and let the new project naturally absorb the players of the legacy server with time. The legacy server would be kept online for as long as it has some online players (excluding bots & shops).

Pros Cons
  • The legacy server would receive no updates aside from some security patches and fixes for game-breaking bugs.
  • Little or no moderation on the legacy server
    • The GMs would either move to the new project or moderate both at the same time, at their own discretion
  • Players would need to start over in the new world.
    • We could still migrate the bare minimum of data (usernames, char names, guilds, parties, spouses) and maybe player levels, capped at 60
  • Fragmentation
    • The online players would be split across 2 servers instead of being concentrated on one, resulting in less players online until the legacy server fully dies out
Only keep the new server online, kill the legacy server
The new server would be the only server online.

Pros
  • More new content, faster
    • Since we wouldn't spend time fixing bugs on the (inexistant) legacy server, we would be able to fully concentrate on the new server
  • Better moderation
    • The GMs would only have to moderate one game instead of 2 at once, making them more efficient
  • No fragmentation
    • Since there's only one server, all players are on the same one
  • We can migrate some or most of the data
Cons
  • It might not be possible to migrate EVERYTHING to the new server

This thread is NOT about item migration
See this thread instead: https://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtop ... =2&t=19717
dragoon84
Novice
Novice

Re: [DIS] [MERGE] Keep the old server alive?

Post by dragoon84 »

kill the legacy server i am ready to loose my items just want to keep my chars and respective levels but please think about what i ask for (the focus).
soseki
Novice
Novice

Post by soseki »

Dont migrate anything, if it is a new server let everyone start from 0, and keep the old server. This way if anyone gets nostalgic he/her can visit it the old server.
“I do not want your admiration now, because I do not want your insults in the future. I bear with my loneliness now, in order to avoid greater loneliness in the years ahead. You see, loneliness is the price we have to pay for being born in this modern age, so full of freedom, independence, and our own egotistical selves.”
dragoon84
Novice
Novice

Post by dragoon84 »

By one side you are right but by the other not, what i mean with this is that i really don't care if i am start from 0 but dividing devs on both servers may reduce the new things on this new game/merge game whatever...
if the legacy servers stays online the question of location of the game has one unique solution that is France
Micksha
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Micksha »

I voted "Keep the Legacy Server". Mainly because TMW is legacy!
And of course it is quite well established and at least a few people per week discover it and have a look at the game, which may also help the merge project to get some people's attention.
Also if it reduces the problem of migration, as there are no items required to be implemented into the merge project, the dev can work more open and do not have to stick to anything existing items or whatever, if this is not desired. I think it is not so much work to just keep it running like it is running now, and it does not take too much capacities from dev team.
Mikko
Peon
Peon

Post by Mikko »

Keep the legacy server alive and migrate nothing, if for no other reason than to avoid putting all your eggs in one basket.
The new project should be able to stand on its own merits anyhow.
bcs86
Warrior
Warrior

Post by bcs86 »

There is not enough staff to serve two masters. Reduce the expenses for optimal game development.
Its your gamble anyhow, see it through to completion, that golden "future" you fools talked the peons into accepting "whether you like it or not". When it fails, gallantly take the fall with it. Go down with your ship.
dragoon84
Novice
Novice

Post by dragoon84 »

You really don't understand, try to play evol and than you will understand the change. Better graphics, more monsters (giants in each specie), walking NPCs, fishing, digging, more challenging quests, these are what motivate the change there are others :alt-3:
Chicka-Maria
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Chicka-Maria »

um why is this even a thread? lol of course it should be alive.
Yubaba
TMWC Member of The Mana World
Leader of The Mana Empire (TME)
[19:41] Ladysugar: he told me to push a setzer up his rear
www.deviantart.com/comfycheeks - Old Deviant Art
William James wrote:Act as If what you do make's a difference, because It does.
fluttershy
Peon
Peon

Post by fluttershy »

I honestly would prefer to keep the Legacy server alive, so that people who still enjoy it can go back to it if they wan't to, i know i would miss it deeply if you got rid of it :(

~Fluttershy
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

fluttershy wrote:I honestly would prefer to keep the Legacy server alive, so that people who still enjoy it can go back to it if they wan't to, i know i would miss it deeply if you got rid of it :(

~Fluttershy
It has been voted to keep this server alive, at least, until there are still players on it.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

Closed the poll to avoid confusion as a decision has already been reached.
Legacy server is staying.

TMW Team member

Rein
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: [FUSION] [DIS] Keep the old server alive?

Post by Rein »

it should be kept alive for history sake. and as a refference
so we dont get too far offtrack in terms of general feel .