[CPT] Master Skill Book

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Elvano
Peon
Peon

[CPT] Master Skill Book

Post by Elvano »

Hey lot,

Here is one of my newest concept:
Master Skill Book v1.2.pdf
(52.54 KiB) Downloaded 178 times
Inspired by:
  • Ragnarok Online
  • PSO
  • Guild Wars
Elvano~
Wisdom and knowledge are both treasures in life.
While knowledge allows us to do great deeds,
it is wisdom which helps us to use it responsible.
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Re: [CPT] Master Skill Book

Post by WildX »

The idea is nice, it could be a good additional game mechanic. You should elaborate more on what the master skills actually are and what they do though.

TMW Team member

Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

WildX wrote:The idea is nice, it could be a good additional game mechanic. You should elaborate more on what the master skills actually are and what they do though.
Yep, an example could be helpful. I'm particuliary rotten with MMORPG mechanics. ^^
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

Reid wrote:
WildX wrote:The idea is nice, it could be a good additional game mechanic. You should elaborate more on what the master skills actually are and what they do though.
Yep, an example could be helpful. I'm particuliary rotten with MMORPG mechanics. ^^
Says the MMORPG project leader :lol:

TMW Team member

jesusalva
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Post by jesusalva »

In my opinion, seems intersting and... hard... Not hard. Just... complex and long...

First, you'll need magic working and possibly a renewed skill book. (Possibily Harder)
Second, optional, you'll want grant magic in other ways before making this book.
Third, you'll need add a NPC who can sell this book. A quest for it seems more interesting imo. (:
Fourth, store the pages. It's mostly player's variable, so it should not be too hard.
Fifth. Add the Add-to Master Book skill and a place to you read your skills. (The hardest here is a place to see the skills)
Sixth. A script that on boss death reset and starts the 10 seconds countdown, unique for a player. (Easy to write, harder to implement, if I'm not mistaken.) Plus, you'll need retrieve what skill this boss drop.
Seventh. The writting skill will have a very huge "if" loop. The hardest in my opinion would be calculate how much damage you caused or the level from the party. (Most of it is obscure code, like who is attacking or how much XP you should recive. If you know how to retrieve these values (that already exists, if I'm not mistaken), this is more easy.)
Eighth. If everything went allright, you'll register the skill. Not hard in my opinion.
-------------------------
Overall:

The hardest is the first step.
The longest is the seventh step.
The easiest is... most of the others steps.

So, once you can make magic run in your game, and can retrieve skills from a book, it is mostly easy.
To erase a skill: Maybe it's easier if made in one NPC?

(Hope that I was helpful and didn't made a knot in yours minds.)

Jesusalva (aka. Jesusaves)
Donate to the project! ─ (Note: If you want to support me instead, Buy me a coffee!)

Former system administrator, project lead and developer.
Do not contact me regarding The Mana World inquiries.