[FND] Panels

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

[FND] Panels

Post by Alige »

I just added some writings for both of the wooden panels of the island (000-1). These are supposed to help newbies understand how the game works. In other words, they give advice. A lot more panels and signs like these will be added (at least I hope) throughout the game to give advice on what or what not to do.
The script is finished and without bugs (hope so), but I would really much appreciate an english and a code review for this script. Thanks!
Attachments
panels.txt
(2.14 KiB) Downloaded 116 times
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Re: [FND] Panels

Post by Reid »

The script syntax is ok and we already discussed about the content of these panels, so it's all fine for me, I will wait for somebody to review the graphics before to add it. (test shouldn't be long)

Though, it could be fun to make this message being displayed once the player move around the panel... There will be newbs on the island, maybe they won't recognize these panels as being a NPCs.

Also, I attach this bug report here.
http://bugs.evolonline.org/view.php?id=56
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
SudoPlatypus
Novice
Novice

Post by SudoPlatypus »

Please find English review for script in attachment.

Because this community has some non-native English speakers who in addition to playing the game also use it as a place to practice speaking English; I just make this note:
Although "informations" is not how a native English speaker would word it in USA (not sure about England or other English speaking counties), "informations" has a nice ring to it, and has been used often enough in the larger The-Mana-World-verse that I have become fondly attached to it. "Informations" is often used by none native english speakers, and is perfectly understanable to all, so I left it intact ^-^
"This panel looks in a rather good shape, like if some people took care of it regularly. Maybe it has important informations."
Most native English speakers would say:""This panel looks in a rather good shape, like if some people took care of it regularly. Maybe it has some important information."
"Maybe it has important informations."
This just has cuteness appeal XD
Attachments
QwertyDragon.tar.gz
(1.84 KiB) Downloaded 105 times
The Mouboo was. The Mouboo is. The Mouboo ever shall be. Drop candies and rejoice.
Most leveled character: Qwerty Dragon is 99
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: [WIP] Panels

Post by Alige »

Thanks a lot QwertyDragon, your english is amazing, this helps us a lot!

So, here's the script finished. However, as Reidy said, I think people walking around it the first time should be stopped and the text starts automatically, just like at the beginning of the game, when you wake up from the bed and go out of your room, Magic Arpan stops you. Of course, this should be done for both panels, but only the first time the player walks near them. Here are two screenshots of the tiles, in blue (so these are not water collision tiles) where when the player goes on one of them, the text starts. Then we make the script be aware they stepped here already and it doesn't happen anymore later on (using a constant+1 code thingy). However, I don't know how to do that, so I'll leave it to Reidy.

One question, should we put a small, very light particle effect near these panels to indicate people can read them?
Attachments
panels.txt
(2.61 KiB) Downloaded 120 times
panel1.png
panel1.png (156.76 KiB) Viewed 4420 times
panel2.png
panel2.png (156.47 KiB) Viewed 4420 times
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

I remember a discussion with Hal9000 about the number of area NPC which popped out on the intro, it was decided to remove most of them as it reduces the playability...
Let's add a particle around the panel.
-- Ford Prefect
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

Alright then, I'll create the small particle effect, then I'll push push the script.
SudoPlatypus
Novice
Novice

Post by SudoPlatypus »

Thanks Alige :)

I thought the nonstandard usage of "informations" was cute, but since you did use the boring correct form of the word "information", then the whole line would read better as:

Code: Select all

--- panels.txt
+++ panels_changed.txt
@@ -25,7 +25,7 @@
 000-1.gat,89,51,0	script	#panel	999;2,{

mesn "Narrator";
-    mes col(l("This panel looks in a rather good shape, like if some people took care of it regularly. Maybe it has important information."), 9);
+    mes col(l("This panel looks in rather good shape, as though some people take care of it regularly. Maybe it has important information."), 9);
     next;
     mes col(l("You can read some lines that are nicely carved into the soft wooden planks."), 9);
     next;
Sorry to be nitpicking. alt37
Attachments
QwertyDragon.tar.gz
(1.55 KiB) Downloaded 122 times
The Mouboo was. The Mouboo is. The Mouboo ever shall be. Drop candies and rejoice.
Most leveled character: Qwerty Dragon is 99
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

@Alige: You push the script? I will be back at home at the end of the week-end, I might do it then, but not before.
-- Ford Prefect
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

Thanks again QwertyDragon, and don't worry, every single correction on our scripts is welcome. So please, continue to harass us with fixes, I love it! ^-^
@Reidy: Sorry, I was in Mafate during all week-end, so I'm gonna push the script at the same time as the new particle effects. So let me me handle it.
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

Here, I pushed both the script and the particle effect.
serverdata commit
clientdata commit

Here is the particle effect, feel free to change it if you think it's not good enough, thanks.
panels.xml
(872 Bytes) Downloaded 104 times
EDIT: These commits still need to be tested, as I can't really do it on my Mac. Thanks to anyone who can do it.
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

I tested and corrected the script file. Though, the particle have some problem (check the attachment), but you can correct and test it by yourself (manaplus -u -d path/to/clientdata).
Attachments
Particle test.png
Particle test.png (33.78 KiB) Viewed 3493 times
-- Ford Prefect
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

Thanks Reidy for the review and the small tip! :)
I fixed it.

Particle Effect fixing commit