[DIS] Aurora1 classes

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Should Aurora1 include all planned classes?

Poll ended at 30 Mar 2014, 17:21

Yes: Warrior, assassin and mage.
33%
No: Warrior and assassin only.
No votes
No: Warrior only.
67%

Total votes: 6
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Re: [DIS] Aurora1 classes

Post by Reid »

To get a bit back on the topic : I planned some few classes:
- Warrior Tank and Swordman : sword, axe, and defence mastering
- Archer : arc mastering
- Thief : stealing mastering (will be possible to steal from some chest, merchant, house
- Wizard : magic (with scrolls and such)
- Assassin : invisibility cloaks, rapid kill
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

Thief is not a viable class as it doesn't deal with combat. Archers and assassin would use the same stats, the only difference between the two would be what weapon they use, this is not enough difference to make them two distinct classes. Archers could just be assassins that use a bow.

My idea of classes is a bit complicated to explain, but simple in practice:
3 base classes, 3 subclasses for each class. Example:
Warrior: Tank, sword, 2-handed sword.
Assassin: *, *, archer.
Mage: summoner, caster, healer.

TMW Team member

Siegfried
Novice
Novice

Post by Siegfried »

Hi,

this is my first post. I hope i'm doing all acceptable :)

I thought for quite some time about a class system and wanted to share my ideas here. One of the central ideas is having the option to develop some classes out of some basic class and some prerequisites. Basically we have magical classes and non-magical classes. A good question is: Should a beginner have the option to develop a magical base class out of a non-magical class? Somewhat like in tmw, where you have to obtain your magic skill. Ok, besides that, there should obviously be a system for magic classes, and a system for non-magic classes.

For the start i'd like to focus on the magical system, for this is easier to structure. Developaple magic classes could be structured to the old "elemental" view. I'd suggest the "elements" fire, water, earth and air. Then additionally the 2 "elements" life and death. Now out of these 6 elements you can build a rhombus, with one element located at every point of it. You can organize them so that the opposite element is located at the opposite point of this rhombus.

In the center we put a "general" or "base" magic. This should enable the mage to cast basic spells and spells not directly related to the elements. This base magic would be a prerequisite in evolving to any of the more advanced classes. For advancing, you have to make a first choice. You can choose any of these elements. The necromancer class, Elvano suggested, would be possible by choosing the death element (death magic) here. But you could choose any other path. Choosing one path inhibits learning of the opposite path. Each path should have its own spells. Obviously the spells should be related to that element.

You then could focus on that single element and advance further, or you could advance to a neighbor element, which in turn inhibits then selection of its opposite element. So in total you could learn 3 out of these 6 elemental paths. Each combination could lead to another magic class. And each class then has its own advantages and disadvantages. This would allow for maximum personalization.

Advancing here should not only be a free choice, but based on "behavior". This would need an elemental stat for each MOB. Any time a player kills a mob, he gets an increment in a corresponding stat. Let's say he kills a fire mob, he gets an increment in his fire stat. Having enough "class points" collected, and having a significantly higher kill counter for fire mobs than for water mobs, this would allow him tho choose the water path. For the death path this difference should not need to be that significant as for the life path. For the other 4 elements there should be a medium difference required. Death path should be easier to gain, life path should be more powerful on the long run.

This system should allow for quite some magic classes.
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

I like the idea, but I would avoid focusing so much on the 4 elements cliché (fire, water, air and earth) as it's been done too much. Here's my initial proposal for schools of magic:

Elemental - control over inanimate forces
All classic spells of fireball and stuff like that.

Reality - space and time distortion
This could include slowing/speeding time, time travel and teleportation as well as illusions.

Life - healing and minion control
Powerful healing and lesser ability to take control of living creatures for a time.

Necromancy - healing and minion control
Raising undead minions and lesser healing abilities that come at great cost.

TMW Team member

dragoon84
Novice
Novice

Post by dragoon84 »

i think that's a lot and should be shrink to 2 only

white (elemental and life)

black (reality and necromancy)

;)
Salius
Novice
Novice

Post by Salius »

dragoon84 wrote:i think that's a lot and should be shrink to 2 only

white (elemental and life)

black (reality and necromancy)

;)
dragoon84, you really think white wizard can't control reality and black wizard can't control elemental? O.O

Anyway this is not my system of magic. Separating people as white (or light) and black (or dark) wizards is always BAD idea. Magic can be light or dark, but magic is just a tool: wizard who know dark magic is not necessarily black wizard. It depends on what he doing: if he doing bad things, he is black wizard even if he using elemental magic instead of black, but if he doing good things, then he is white wizard even if he know some black spells. In my concept everyone can learn both light and dark magic, if he is smart enough to learn high levels of magic. Light and dark magic are not for everyone (especially dark). This types of magic only for high level wizards, who skilled in magic enough to control this hard to control types of magic. And dark especially hard to control, you can even damage yourself using dark magic, if you control this magic not good enough.
dragoon84
Novice
Novice

Post by dragoon84 »

the 2 types of magic is better because you don't have to learn a lot of magic schools (sorry for my bad writing, I am Portuguese) and so you don't need to have a lot of npcs to teach them.
:P
Salius
Novice
Novice

Post by Salius »

dragoon84 wrote:the 2 types of magic is better because you don't have to learn a lot of magic schools (sorry for my bad writing, I am Portuguese) and so you don't need to have a lot of npcs to teach them.
:P
I dreaming about learning a lot of magic schools and skills. I want to have a lot of npcs in this world, who can teach something and who can't teach anything. I want to see big world with many interesting places to explore and big world must have alot of npcs, living in this world. :P
When I can't learn anything more in some world, I loosing my reasons to play in this world. Development of my char and exploring new places in a world is most important reasons to continue playing (and some other reasons).