German Translation

Content and general development discussion, including maps, quests, and server code from the development team.
Le Micksha
Peon
Peon

German Translation

Post by Le Micksha » 30 Jun 2016, 11:56

I am doing some german translations at the moment, and thought it may be a good idea to give the races different dialects as we have plenty of them here, and they can easily be used in written language. So here are my proposals:

- Human: common german
- Ork: "ghetto slang"
- Ukar: bavarian dialect
- Tritan: "Platt" (north-germany dialect, a bit tending to dutch)
- Raijin: elevated german language, the only ones using the official "Sie" instead of the common "Du" for "you"
- Demon: Berlin slang

Of course the intensity of using dialect may vary depending on the NPC.
What do you think about it? Any comments?

- crocs, Mick
WildX
Development Producer
Development Producer

Re: German Translation

Post by WildX » 30 Jun 2016, 14:40

Micksha wrote:I am doing some german translations at the moment, and thought it may be a good idea to give the races different dialects as we have plenty of them here, and they can easily be used in written language. So here are my proposals:

- Raijin: elevated german language, the only ones using the official "Sie" instead of the common "Du" for "you"

- crocs, Mick
I'd leave the ghetto slang out for political correctness. At least in English, we're probably gonna avoid that. Raijin is not going to be a race - they will be a skin of Elves.

Anyway good idea. Makes it all more interesting.
Reid
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Reid » 01 Jul 2016, 15:17

Micksha wrote:I am doing some german translations at the moment, and thought it may be a good idea to give the races different dialects as we have plenty of them here, and they can easily be used in written language. So here are my proposals:

- crocs, Mick
I think that this is a good idea, I leave it up to wildx to decide if it fits his current race plan, although, keep in mind that tritan already use an own-made slang with yeye and such.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
WildX
Development Producer
Development Producer

Post by WildX » 05 Jul 2016, 20:28

Reid wrote:

- crocs, Mick
I think that this is a good idea, I leave it up to wildx to decide if it fits his current race plan, although, keep in mind that tritan already use an own-made slang with yeye and such.
Yes, keep in mind the Tritan's speech pattern as well. I agree with the idea in general though, so go ahead! :)
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige » 06 Jul 2016, 09:25

This would mean lots of changes on already existing scripts. Are we sure we want to edit these entries and thus, force the translators to re-translate these sentences?
Reid
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Reid » 07 Jul 2016, 14:23

Alige wrote:This would mean lots of changes on already existing scripts. Are we sure we want to edit these entries and thus, force the translators to re-translate these sentences?
This is only for the german translation.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect