German Translation

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Le Micksha
Peon
Peon

German Translation

Post by Le Micksha »

I am doing some german translations at the moment, and thought it may be a good idea to give the races different dialects as we have plenty of them here, and they can easily be used in written language. So here are my proposals:

- Human: common german
- Ork: "ghetto slang"
- Ukar: bavarian dialect
- Tritan: "Platt" (north-germany dialect, a bit tending to dutch)
- Raijin: elevated german language, the only ones using the official "Sie" instead of the common "Du" for "you"
- Demon: Berlin slang

Of course the intensity of using dialect may vary depending on the NPC.
What do you think about it? Any comments?

- crocs, Mick
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Re: German Translation

Post by WildX »

Micksha wrote:I am doing some german translations at the moment, and thought it may be a good idea to give the races different dialects as we have plenty of them here, and they can easily be used in written language. So here are my proposals:

- Raijin: elevated german language, the only ones using the official "Sie" instead of the common "Du" for "you"

- crocs, Mick
I'd leave the ghetto slang out for political correctness. At least in English, we're probably gonna avoid that. Raijin is not going to be a race - they will be a skin of Elves.

Anyway good idea. Makes it all more interesting.

TMW Team member

Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

Micksha wrote:I am doing some german translations at the moment, and thought it may be a good idea to give the races different dialects as we have plenty of them here, and they can easily be used in written language. So here are my proposals:

- crocs, Mick
I think that this is a good idea, I leave it up to wildx to decide if it fits his current race plan, although, keep in mind that tritan already use an own-made slang with yeye and such.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

Reid wrote:

- crocs, Mick
I think that this is a good idea, I leave it up to wildx to decide if it fits his current race plan, although, keep in mind that tritan already use an own-made slang with yeye and such.
Yes, keep in mind the Tritan's speech pattern as well. I agree with the idea in general though, so go ahead! :)

TMW Team member

Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

This would mean lots of changes on already existing scripts. Are we sure we want to edit these entries and thus, force the translators to re-translate these sentences?
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

Alige wrote:This would mean lots of changes on already existing scripts. Are we sure we want to edit these entries and thus, force the translators to re-translate these sentences?
This is only for the german translation.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect