[DIS] Skeleton maps

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Skeleton maps to populate the test server

Aye
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 14
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

[DIS] Skeleton maps

Post by Reid »

Like I explained on the previous meeting, I would like to speed up the development by adding skeleton maps of most of the world.
These skeleton maps would feature simple shapes and a two tiles style, somehow like the hercules test server from 4144.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Re: [DIS] Skeleton maps

Post by EJlol »

How does this speed up development?
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

EJlol wrote:How does this speed up development?
By creating very simple maps, we would have the opportunity of shaping the overall world of our new server. This will help us add quests where they need to be, thus more people will be able to help the development of the project without being restricted by the small space we currently have on the live test server.

I'm greatly in favor of this (as weird as it may seem), because we will be able to add essential content right away, without being drawn to all of the small details around it. Although... that might be my role :lol:
gumi
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by gumi »

why do we even need a vote? it's a no-brainer
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

Of course yes.

TMW Team member

Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

gumi wrote:why do we even need a vote? it's a no-brainer
Because it could waste time to set them up. :)
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
bcs86
Warrior
Warrior

Post by bcs86 »

#evol-dev, 2017-04-14

Code: Select all

(03:25:17 AM) Akko_Teru: I don't think of skeletal maps as speeding up development per say, but as an invitation for others to create maps when they can learn ideas from the abstract skeletal ones. A similar proposal was put forward several years ago called "tron tiles".

(03:28:36 AM) Akko_Teru: To avoid the pitfall of "Tulimshar" mapping, Call on the developers to remain focused on one idea at a time so that other maps aren't abandoned out of lost course.

(03:33:46 AM) Akko_Teru: A solid idea doesn't need a test server unless it alters the state of quests and items in a way that might corrupt player data once retracted.

(03:46:24 AM) Akko_Teru: If we did TMW content and mapping in the same way as Aurora project development had been done, with solid direction and one person able to ensure progress regardless of who chips in, that is what has always worked well, from "the graveyard" of 2009 to Aurora 1 of 2016.

(03:52:31 AM) Akko_Teru: I've already purchased a bunch of "Kenny asset packs" which are public domain but only of minimal SVG quality. The RPG set is not much, and will need to be resized. There are no dungeon tiles or sea tiles, but that can be nailed on.
It will take a moment to sort through and hack on, but for those who have visited opengameart will know the "Kenny assets" to be rather bare-bones, but larger than our base tile size.

Why not!