Cosmostrator's SFX thread

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Cosmostrator
Novice
Novice

Cosmostrator's SFX thread

Post by Cosmostrator »

Here are my first attempts at creating some sound effects for TMW. I don't think that they are great, but they are at least better than nothing.

http://www.mediamax.com/cosmostrator/Hosted/SFX.zip

I don't know if there is a better file hosting location, the wiki wouldn't let me upload ogg files. If there is one let me know and I'll change the link.

My ideas for the files are as follows:
Hit - about the same as the current knife sound but minus background noise.
Miss - slight variation on hit, possibly useful as a miss sound or variation of attack.
HitLo - A pitched down version of hit. Possibly for short sword. I like it a little better than hit.
snap 01-04 - possibly for scorpion attacks. slightly different sounds on each one. Could use them for variations in attack sounds or for different types of scorpions.
snapmiss - possible miss sound for scorpions.
squeak - might be useful as a bat attack sound. I was actually going for a slime attack sound, and this came out.

Let me know what you think about em.
I've recording them using whatever I have around, though I wouldn't be opposed to using what is available (organic, free libraries etc.)

Please give me your ideas of other sound effects that you would like to hear and I'll add them to my todo list. Rotonen would you like me to use the wiki page for this?

my current todo list:
Bow miss and hit
Short sword miss and hit
monster attack and dying
walking:
Plants
Sand
Stone Outdoor, for roads or stepstones in the river
Stone Indoor, for tile floors
Wood, for bridges or parquet floors
Damped steps, for dirt or carpets
Metal floor
Ankle-deep water

-DAVe
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

I really love squeak although we should probably avoid playing it every monster attack or it will be a mess.
Cosmostrator
Novice
Novice

Post by Cosmostrator »

It's almost 1 am here, my apartment smells like burning WD-40 and I just set off the stupid fire alarm, but never the less here are some possible sounds for the Fire Goblin attack. Personally I like flame2
http://www.mediamax.com/cosmostrator/Hosted/Flame.zip

I can try to come up with some variations on squeak if you'd like a variety to use. Another option would be to just use it the first time the monster attacks, though it would seem less realistic.
-DAVe
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

I think squeek may be used for the bat getting hit. If you make a variant that goes down in tone instead of up we could use it as a death sample for the bat.

The flame sounds are nice, but very noisy. I think they should be cleaner. Maybe try breathing into a mike from the back of your throat and mix it with what you have.

I think most attacks (bat, maggot, scorpion) should at least have a slight woosh in 'em. Like the scorpion, it doesn't just slam his claws shut, he also reaches out for his target.

Dispite all my comment, I like the sounds so far. :)
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Cosmostrator
Novice
Novice

Post by Cosmostrator »

A quick update
http://www.mediamax.com/cosmostrator/Ho ... memiss.ogg
a possibility for the fire goblin miss.

I'll try to get some different bat sounds. Since I got the first one from playing with some goop in a container it may be hard to get a specific sound, but we'll see.
I agree that a slight woosh might be good. I think that I tend to lean towards simplicity since I've been burned by overproduced games. Let's see how many types of "woosh" sounds I can come up with.
The flame sounds do seem to be missing a little of the low end. Probably not big enough flames :D I'll see what I can do.
-DAVe
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

You know what you're doing, so no immediate direction needed, keep it up.

Once you run out of things to do: consider ambient sounds like wind. (A sandstorm should sound a bit different than the regular breeze.)
This message used to be meaningful.
Cosmostrator
Novice
Novice

Post by Cosmostrator »

A couple more SFX
http://www.mediamax.com/cosmostrator/Hosted/moreSFX.zip
I included all three versions of me mixing the flame sound with some low end. I think the third one sounds best though.
Another bat sound, can maybe be used as a death sound.
Squirt might work for slime attack. I've been looking and I can't decide if the attack is a solid protrusion used to cause melee damage, a gelatinous slap, or a liquid squirt used for acid damage.
If it is possible I'd love to get an animated gif or something like that of the higher level monsters attacking. Right now I can't really fight anything bigger than rudolph slimes, though it looks like all slimes basically attack the same.
@ Rotonen Ambient sound loops are definitely harder to do than SFX. It's kind of like trying to make a tile that doesn't look like it is repeating continuously, and you only get one tile. Hopefully when music is implemented there won't be much of a need for this type of sounds, though perhaps they could be used during transitions between maps.

Sorry, no more whooshes yet.
-DAVe
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

The links seem to be broken. It reads "Doh! You Received the Wrong Link! You cannot download this file. Contact the file's owner for details." Can you repair them, please?
If it is possible I'd love to get an animated gif or something like that of the higher level monsters attacking. Right now I can't really fight anything bigger than rudolph slimes, though it looks like all slimes basically attack the same.
Maybe ElvenProgrammer would be willing to cheat you a high level character for testing purpose.
Cosmostrator wrote:Hopefully when music is implemented there won't be much of a need for this type of sounds, though perhaps they could be used during transitions between maps.
Music is implemented. The music files are just not included in the sourcecode release.

When you are using the windows installer and you don't hear any music you seem to have some technical problem.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Cosmostrator
Novice
Novice

Post by Cosmostrator »

File hosting is fixed. Apparently the verification e-mail was sent to my junk mail folder, which I deleted.

-DAVe
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

I don't hear any difference between the flame sounds. Also I think they're a bit short. But they sound a lot better.

The squirt sound has too much echo I think, but without that I think it would suit as a slime attack sound.

Bat sounds seems perfect as an attack sample.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Cosmostrator
Novice
Novice

Post by Cosmostrator »

There is a subtle difference in the high end of the flame sounds. The first one the high flame sound lasts the whole time. The third it cuts out half way. They need to be kind of short since the attack repitition time is pretty short, they could be lengthened a bit if they need to be.

I didn't add any echo to the squirt sound, so unfortunately I can't really take it away.

I found the music. I usually spend most of my time in the desert, which aparently doesn't have any, but when I went to visit Santa there it was.
-DAVe
Cosmostrator
Novice
Novice

Post by Cosmostrator »

http://www.mediamax.com/cosmostrator/Hosted/Poof.zip
poof - possibility for shroom attack
Spray
1 - Flower attack sound
2 - another possibility
3 - a miss sound

Can't wait to hear some of the sounds in game. Perhaps I should make a master zip file with all of the final versions of FX to make finding them easier.
-DAVe
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Systematically archiving contributions is always a good idea.

You should use our wiki for it.
This message used to be meaningful.
Cosmostrator
Novice
Novice

Post by Cosmostrator »

http://www.mediamax.com/cosmostrator/Hosted/SFX.zip
I have compiled all useful effects into one zip, with standard naming.
for example ScorpionHit.ogg is the hit sound for the scorpion. Any files with a number after them are alternate sounds. If we follow this convention it should make it easier to assign sounds to events.
-DAVe
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

Cosmostrator wrote:http://www.mediamax.com/cosmostrator/Hosted/SFX.zip
I have compiled all useful effects into one zip, with standard naming.
for example ScorpionHit.ogg is the hit sound for the scorpion. Any files with a number after them are alternate sounds. If we follow this convention it should make it easier to assign sounds to events.
-DAVe
Very nice. Although note that generally we're only using lowercase and separating words with a dash (-) for the files in our data folder. So maybe for future versions you could name it "scorpion-hit.ogg", etc.

When I get home I will actually listen to them. :-)