[CPT] Scaled rewards / Legacy loss compensation

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

[CPT] Scaled rewards / Legacy loss compensation

Post by WildX »

I have an idea for how to possibly deal with the issue of "compensating Legacy TMW players" when the new server goes live. I think there should be compensation. I'm the one always saying that it's not a "new game" and it's just a large update of the same TMW. This means that it's an update which will require current players to incur losses.

I think it's fine since the whole point of TMW is to keep evolving (see what I did there), but I also think current players should receive some things to acknowledge and differentiate them from any other new player with a lvl 1 character. So here's a possible solution:

All levels are reset, but as players level up and reach milestones (for example lvl 10, 20, 30, etc...) they are able to obtain certain equipment which binds on pickup (cannot be traded), has no stats, and represents each level that they have reached (x item for lvl 10, y item for lvl 20, z item for lvl 30, etc...). New accounts could have one set of unique rewards and accounts of Legacy players a different set made of all the rarest TMW hats which will only be available to them. This could give us a way to use all the beloved hats TMW has given use over the years without ruining the economy and by fairly distributing them among all veteran players (level 80+?).

I know many of us don't like a "rares economy" and would prefer to not have these items at all, but you have to consider what players like in their games, and unique items are a popular thing in all MMOs for a reason. Smart MMOs just make them untradeable and useless stats-wise.

TMW Team member

Tirifto
Novice
Novice

Re: [CPT] Scaled rewards / Legacy loss compensation

Post by Tirifto »

So basically, pre-existing player characters receive a set of otherwise inaccessible hats that cannot be given away, as they progress in the game?
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Re: [CPT] Scaled rewards / Legacy loss compensation

Post by WildX »

Tirifto wrote:So basically, pre-existing player characters receive a set of otherwise inaccessible hats that cannot be given away, as they progress in the game?
Pretty much. I'm pretty sure the items that people will be sad about losing are mostly rare hats, no? Any other item can be re-introduced in quests over time.

TMW Team member