"Darkness" property on a map

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Madcap
Novice
Novice

"Darkness" property on a map

Post by Madcap »

Not Halloween dark, but "cave" dark. Is the trick to just make the spotlight.png less transparent?

My goal is to have a darker cave on a new map I have created.

Thank you for your input.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

The clean way would be to use a graphic program to create a new spotlight effect.

The dirty way would be to just apply the effect twice.

But keep in mind that overlay effects are meant to create ambient, not to reduce the players field of view. When the player feels that your overlay is obstructing him he will just switch it off. When designing the cave spotlight effect i tried to make it just so dark that the player can still see monsters outside of the spotlight.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Madcap
Novice
Novice

Post by Madcap »

I've recently dowloaded GIMP. Would that work after I figure it out?

All I would have to do is make a darker perimeter right?

Thanks Crush.
Madcap
Novice
Novice

Post by Madcap »

Crush wrote:The clean way would be to use a graphic program to create a new spotlight effect.

The dirty way would be to just apply the effect twice.

But keep in mind that overlay effects are meant to create ambient, not to reduce the players field of view. When the player feels that your overlay is obstructing him he will just switch it off. When designing the cave spotlight effect i tried to make it just so dark that the player can still see monsters outside of the spotlight.
After your post in the other thread, I now understand your point (as unfortunate as the reality is). I hope you understand that I was in no way considering your spotlight.png image to be inferior or inadequate.
Platyna
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Platyna »

I also disagree with effects that maim player's field of view, this game has "godlike" perspective so it doesn't make sense.

Regards.