Attn: Developers and Pixel Artists......TMW's caves

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Madcap
Novice
Novice

Attn: Developers and Pixel Artists......TMW's caves

Post by Madcap »

Yosuhara recently commented that caves are a little plain (http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... 89&start=0). I've been thinking about that and have come to the conclusion that they are, and are not. I think it depends on the type of cave we are talking about.

I think caves can fit into one of three categories:

1. A plain ol' cave - this is defined as being an old waterway that was carved over thousands of years by erosion and has now been moved geographically above the water table.

2. Mines - defined as a subterranean network of paths dug by an intelligent species for the purpose of removing ore. These types of caves in TMW could be dressed up with additional tiles depicting leftover ore, old tools, wooden support beams, rails, and carts. Straighter paths would make sense in this type of cave.

3. Cave dwellings - whether they were created by natural forces or intentionally by some being, this category of cave is defined by having elements and signs of intelligent life. Our tilesets have some of this already, but the following could be added as more options: torch holders (facing east, west, and south), large stone tile floor pieces, a stone pedestal for ceremonial or other purposes, fire pits, and sarcaphagi for tombs and catacomb type settings.

Some pics for inspiration:

Sarcaphagi:

Catacombs:

Torches:
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I currently got some practice with wood, so this didn't took me very long:
The color palette is negotiable and the scrap wood looks as if it were floating. I'll work on it if you like the idea.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
yosuhara
Knight
Knight

Post by yosuhara »

heh, u must read my thoughts, i was thinking about tombs, catacombs and torches too....

about torches: they would look dumb without animated fire so i guess they need to wait for new server supporting animated tiles

about catombs: i was trying to do some not so long ago: Image

and that nice entrance surely need to be implemented....
yosuhara
Knight
Knight

Post by yosuhara »

Crush wrote:I currently got some practice with wood, so this didn't took me very long:
The color palette is negotiable and the scrap wood looks as if it were floating. I'll work on it if you like the idea.
nice, just keep on working, we'll eventually see what come out :)
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

yosuhara wrote:about torches: they would look dumb without animated fire so i guess they need to wait for new server supporting animated tiles
We need no new server for animated tiles. This is a purely client sided thing. What would be needed would be an elegant way to integrate animated tiles in Tiled (hey Bjørn, are you reading?).

About the mine structure, I made the whole stuff a lot larger:
Last edited by Crush on 16 Nov 2006, 16:33, edited 1 time in total.
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Quiche_on_a_leash
Novice
Novice

Post by Quiche_on_a_leash »

Looks even better Crush.
All it really needs is some shading and maybe some shadows.
yosuhara
Knight
Knight

Post by yosuhara »

Crush wrote:
yosuhara wrote:about torches: they would look dumb without animated fire so i guess they need to wait for new server supporting animated tiles
We need no new server for animated tiles. This is a purely client sided thing. What would be needed would be an elegant way to integrate animated tiles in Tiled (hey Bjørn, are you reading?).
ah, right...
Madcap
Novice
Novice

Post by Madcap »

Cool stuff! Two things I would add to the conversation:

1. I didn't mean to imply the torches had to be lit. Originally I was thinking just old rusty and abandoned torch holders from an old mining operation or civilzation (see MolePeopleCave). But hey, if the team wants to go with lit torches, that's great too!

2. Crush, is there an easy way to make the wood look older? Obviously the breaks in it add age, but how about coloring?
Madcap
Novice
Novice

Post by Madcap »

yosuhara wrote:
about catombs: i was trying to do some not so long ago: Image

and that nice entrance surely need to be implemented....
Nice. Maybe some cobwebs in there?
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

Crush wrote:
I think in this case animated static decoration based on AnimatedSprite would be suitable. Still, it would certainly be nice if these could be placed in Tiled.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Bjørn wrote:I think in this case animated static decoration based on AnimatedSprite would be suitable. Still, it would certainly be nice if these could be placed in Tiled.
Animated map tiles will be simple looping animations. The whole AnimatedSprite class with its action and direction management would be overkill for that. The Animation class has all functionality needed and can be used stand-alone.
  • NOT a game master

Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Quiche_on_a_leash wrote:Looks even better Crush.
All it really needs is some shading and maybe some shadows.
Madcap wrote:2. Crush, is there an easy way to make the wood look older? Obviously the breaks in it add age, but how about coloring?
Better?
  • NOT a game master

Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

I like the beams, though I think the outline should be darker, It's too much the same as the floor. The big ones are a great improvement over the earlier version. Are they high enough for the player to walk under btw?
Also if the support beams have collapsed there's a fat chance some dirt did so as well. So maybe it would be cool to have heaps of dirt that block (part of) the tunnel. With optional pieces of wood sticking out. This could also be used to create a dead end to a map.

NOTE: I started writing this post before Crush posted the above.
Last edited by Modanung on 18 Nov 2006, 12:01, edited 1 time in total.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Quiche_on_a_leash
Novice
Novice

Post by Quiche_on_a_leash »

:o Much better :D
Madcap
Novice
Novice

Post by Madcap »

Yeah, nice Crush. On Modanung's point about the edges, maybe darker and a little thicker would give them the appearance of being "worn" as well as aged in color? I have no idea as I am no artist with the pixels.