Concentration goal for January: World cleanup

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Concentration goal for January: World cleanup

Post by Rotonen »

We're finally going to clean up the random jumble of mess we have on the wiki and in our minds about the actual content the game is eventually goint to have. This is including:

* Backstory
* Map
* Countries
* Cultures

In this order.

In the past we've fallen to the pit of nitpickery and unfinished work. Random contributions to random things in random order have hurt us too and inconsistently constantly redoing this stuff from scratch is no guest to us either. This time we need swift and locked decisions.

I feel that the best way to get around this is to have weekly meetings in January (also weekly goals after that wouldn't probably hurt either). I'd like to hear date proposals and very quickly after that the intended attendance. The topic of the first meeting would be the backstory.
This message used to be meaningful.
Pajarico
Knight
Knight

Post by Pajarico »

I hope this time we (me included) don't start nitpickin' ad infitum every idea... but what can we do to avoid it? there are so many aspects just for the Backstory that everyone has its own vision. Wouldn't be a good idea to set some minimum of issues to discuss? like gods or nogods, how many, how everything started, etc

Also, Rotonen and everyone, a point I want to adress first is if we should close some of our discussions to the general public. IMHO part of the problem of random contributors is that many don't assist to forums/irc/meetings and finally there is no reason to keep track of everyone who does a suggestion, because most can't be considered part of a so-called team.

I think we should make a closed core of devs for the importatant decisions and let people who have little time or just don't want to take "full time" jobs get assigned tasks which can be accomplished by them... Yes or nay? or someth'-in-between?
Lv.: Maggot
Please, read the FAQ before posting.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I am quite free regarding the date of the meeting. Anyone against Tuesday the 2nd 6pm GMT?

Until that date everyone who wants to take part should read the current backstory article on the wiki:

http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/Backstory

and prepare their for- and against arguments and counter-proposals when they are strictly against it.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

The date is fine by me. I think using the IRC channel for decisions and concentrated development is closed enough.

And please also see the previous backstory proposals in the wiki for comparison via the ever-so-nifty history button.
Pajarico
Knight
Knight

Post by Pajarico »

So we are gonna discuss from the actual backstory? Fine with me...

I'm free on dates too.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Crush' date proposal seems ok for me.
Last edited by Modanung on 29 Dec 2006, 18:58, edited 1 time in total.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Pajarico
Knight
Knight

Post by Pajarico »

Rotonen wrote:The date is fine by me. I think using the IRC channel for decisions and concentrated development is closed enough.
My advice wasn't intended for this meeting but for the way many people suggests stuff... It's completely dismembered. Having tenths of suggestions from people who are not aware of the wiki content is not good, specially when they touch the story. But if you feel is not that important I won't insist.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Our first meeting in the new year is over.
  • The current world backstory got ratified. Now we want to search for wiki articles that are inconsistent with the backstory and add them to the Inconsisten with backstory category by adding the new {{Inconsistent with backstory}} template to it so we can clean them. You can all help with that.
  • We decided to change some bits of the race locations on geography.
  • We plan to rework the world map. We are going to use pauans map, but we want to change the terrain types so that every race and region we need has its place.
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Next meeting on the 12th, 20:00 GMT. Attendance / propositions for a better moment?

Topic: Countries.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I don't have time this friday evening.

How about the same time at Thursday 11th?
  • NOT a game master

Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Rotonen wrote:Next meeting on the 12th, 20:00 GMT. Attendance / propositions for a better moment?
Bad moment for me. 14th would be better for me. If it won't be moved I'll see if I can make it anyway.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Sunday 14th would be ok for me, too.
  • NOT a game master

Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

So 14th, 20:00 GMT it is.