Debian Repository

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Dr Wahl
Warrior
Warrior

Debian Repository

Post by Dr Wahl »

I am hoping to be able to give a shot at updating the debian package/repository. What do we have that I could use, and what would be required to complete this task? If any one else has any experience doing this, or is interested in helping me, please let me know. This will be my first attempt, but I think it is a good place to learn.
Platyna
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Platyna »

If we would have experience in making Debian repository we would release it ourselves. So, I may just wish you a good luck and admire your courage, making debs is a hell on earth.

Regards,
Last edited by Platyna on 01 May 2007, 14:24, edited 1 time in total.
Dr Wahl
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dr Wahl »

alright, i will give it a shot. no promises for any usable results though...
Dr Wahl
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dr Wahl »

if any one is interested in learning how, the site below is where i have started my research.

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/repos ... to.en.html
Dr Wahl
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dr Wahl »

It looks like the debian repository is up to date. Last that I heard is it was broken/out of date, but I was able to apt-get install it and it was version 0.22.1. Does this make sense to any one?
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

Dr Wahl wrote:It looks like the debian repository is up to date. Last that I heard is it was broken/out of date, but I was able to apt-get install it and it was version 0.22.1. Does this make sense to any one?
Why do you think it looks like it is up to date, when the latest version of TMW has been 0.0.22.2 since almost three months?
Dr Wahl
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dr Wahl »

i guess by "up to date" i meant that it is more up to date than i had thought. last that i heard, the repository was only holding the 0.19.0 release. do we know who created the 0.22.1 .deb?
WK1
Peon
Peon

I'll give your questions a shot.

Post by WK1 »

Making debs and putting them into the official debian repository, or making your own, is difficult to learn to do, but easy once you know how. I have been a package maintainer for some time, so I'll try to answer some of your questions.

Whatever package that you found, is not from any official repository. The official debian "experimental" repository does indeed have the mana world, but it is up to date, 0.0.22.2-1.

The mana world, so far, would be unfit for debian stable. Debian stable only does security updates. The mana world has a habit of requiring the latest update or you can't join the server (it is beta, after all). The mana world would be difficult to put into testing, since the latest version (often the only one that works) usually requires the latest version of libguichan, which is also a beta moving target. Debian tries to not update libraries too often, because updating libraries usually breaks things. Therefore, it would be difficult to put the mana world into unstable/testing, as well. Someone has it in experimental. It requires the experimental version of libguichan.

Here is a link to the package page for the debian package, tmw: http://packages.debian.net/experimental/tmw According to that page, the maintainer is Patrick Matthai.

I would recommend that you do not make your own the mana world package. There is no need to duplicate work. I recommend that you either compile from source yourself, or use Patrick's package. If his package has any bugs, report them on the debian bug reporting system.