How to play around with TMW resource files

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Re: How to play around with TMW resource files

Post by Jaxad0127 »

passipoliisi wrote:How can i put the updates to a localhost server??
You'll need a web server or an FTP server for them. Are you doing a private game server?
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Are you sure that this is necessary for whatever you are trying to do?

When you want to experiment with setting up an updateserver and you don't want to use an external webspace you have to install a webserver on your local machine.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
passipoliisi
Peon
Peon

Post by passipoliisi »

Crush wrote:Are you sure that this is necessary for whatever you are trying to do?

When you want to experiment with setting up an updateserver and you don't want to use an external webspace you have to install a webserver on your local machine.
where to get webserver?
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

passipoliisi wrote:where to get webserver?
What are you running (OS; if Linux, please state distro)?
passipoliisi
Peon
Peon

Post by passipoliisi »

Linux, Ubuntu
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Are you sure that you really need to download the updates from localhost? What exactly do you want to archieve?

When you want to experiment with setting up an updateserver you could just get some free webspace from somewhere.
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
passipoliisi
Peon
Peon

Post by passipoliisi »

Crush wrote:When you want to experiment with setting up an updateserver you could just get some free webspace from somewhere.
Where could i get some free webspace? :D
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

http://www.free-webhosts.com/

Note that we could still help you better when you would explain to us what you are trying to do.
  • NOT a game master

Icaro
Peon
Peon

Post by Icaro »

Did you cancle the updater before it finished?
Icaro back...
octalot
Novice
Novice

Post by octalot »

Please add the tmwart repo to the instructions in the first post, as it's slowly gaining better files to work from than tmwdata.

(BUMP, but this thread is getting linked to from other threads)
Retired from TMW; incomplete projects looking for a dev:
Cave foliage (plants up the walls): http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5659
Cave wetwalls (water down the walls): http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5816
culikr
Peon
Peon

Post by culikr »

Hi

i just tryed the instructions here from the use of git repository with cliente 0.29.1 and when loading the game i get the error loading items.xml database

any suggestions?

Regards
luiz
Mpa4Hu
Novice
Novice

Post by Mpa4Hu »

culikr wrote:Hi

i just tryed the instructions here from the use of git repository with cliente 0.29.1 and when loading the game i get the error loading items.xml database

any suggestions?

Regards
luiz
did you done step 3?
3. Tell TMW to ignore the updates and use the files in your new directory
To do so you have to start tmw with the additional command line parameters -u -d path/to/your/data/folder

Windows users can right-click on the tmw shortcut on their desktop and select Properties. In the field Target you find the path to your tmw executable in quotation marks. Add -u -d behind the quotation marks followed the folder where you cloned the git repository. It should now read something like that:
"D:\programs\The Mana World\tmw.exe" -u -d D:\tmw\data
nyos
Peon
Peon

Post by nyos »

Hey here's a teaser for ya. I am doing some map construction for a new city. Yes I am using tiled, Yes I have read the Wiki info, etc. I have set up a server on my host machine, and have tmwdata directory setup. My problem is this: How can I just drop the map file into the DIR and warp to it to look and test it. I do not want to do the whole unpacking, renaming, replacing, repacking, bit. Just want to drop the TMX file into the DIR and warp to it. Is this possible? Can it be done? If so, how?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can chime in and help! :D
Ces
Novice
Novice

Post by Ces »

At the moment this cannot be done in the way you describe it (easier content testing is planned for a later release though). You can do it in several ways, for example:

Variant A: Replace an existing map with the one you have created (either in the original data directory or in your customdata), the warps and monsters et cetera will be those of the original map unless you replace those files as well.

Variant B: Put your new map somewhere and add its location to the file <tmw-eathena-data-repo>/npc/scripts.conf

Then all you have to do is to warp to the map (e.g. to Hurnscald: @warp 009-1).