Issues - Intro to developing, testing, and commting.

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

JoshLangley
Peon
Peon

Issues - Intro to developing, testing, and commting.

Post by JoshLangley »

I was wondering a couple of things before I get started to help fix some small issues that I will hopefully be able to carry out.

When we take out a task in mantis, do we make changes to the latest (trunk 0.1.0) version of the client, or do we use an earlier version?
If we do use an earlier version, how do I download an earlier version from the SVN (I'm using tortoise SVN).

What server would I point the client too?

When I'm satisfied that I have completed testing, what do I do with the changes? Am I able to commit them?

I've updated the project file for the Dev C++, a couple of days ago, which was a more current version last time I checked... Do I commit it? Am I even able too? I haven't tried too, as I don't wan't to even tempt fate with stuffing your version control, without the proper advice and direction.

I know these sound like trivial and silly questions, but all of this is pretty new to me (I've never even used CVS before, so I have no familiarity).
:o
kind regards,
Josh Langley.

http://www.myspace.com/Langerz
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Issues - Intro to developing, testing, and commting.

Post by Crush »

JoshLangley wrote:I was wondering a couple of things before I get started to help fix some small issues that I will hopefully be able to carry out.

When we take out a task in mantis, do we make changes to the latest (trunk 0.1.0) version of the client, or do we use an earlier version?
If we do use an earlier version, how do I download an earlier version from the SVN (I'm using tortoise SVN).

What server would I point the client too?
There are 2 client versions that are developed parallel.

There is the 0.0.23 branch. You find it on the subversion repository in the folder tmw/branches/0.0. This is the current official client you can download on the homepage to play on the current server. It uses the ragnarok online netcode protocol. The server is server.themanaworld.org. - a ragnarok online server emulator. We don't make any changes at this server software itself.

And then there is the trunk version with the number 0.1. You find it on the subversion repository in the folder tmw/trunk. This is the test client for the new server TMWServ (tmwserv/trunk). It uses our own network protocol on top of ENet. There isn't a permanent test server at the moment. When we want to test something we start one on our own systems.

All purely client-sided new features and bugfixes are first done in the 0.0.23 branch so that they can be beta-tested by the community. when they proof to be stable they are portet to the 0.1 version.

All improvements that are only usable on the new server and can't be testet on server.themanaworld.org are done in the 0.1 version directly.
When I'm satisfied that I have completed testing, what do I do with the changes? Am I able to commit them?

I've updated the project file for the Dev C++, a couple of days ago, which was a more current version last time I checked... Do I commit it? Am I even able too? I haven't tried too, as I don't wan't to even tempt fate with stuffing your version control, without the proper advice and direction.

I know these sound like trivial and silly questions, but all of this is pretty new to me (I've never even used CVS before, so I have no familiarity).
Of course we don't give public permission to commit changes to the subversion repository. Write access is only handed out on a per-need basis.

For now I would suggest you to give us your changes as patches. You can create a patch with TortoiseSVN by right-clicking on the folder where you put the repository->TortoiseSVN->CreatePatch...
This creates a text file with all changes you made. You can mail this patch file to our mailing list (registration required).
Note that patches only work with text files. When you cange a binary file you have to send it to us as it is.

When you contribute patches regularily we will give you write privileges to subversion.
Last edited by Crush on 28 Jun 2007, 17:50, edited 2 times in total.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

JoshLangley wrote:I was wondering a couple of things before I get started to help fix some small issues that I will hopefully be able to carry out.

It depends, take a look at the product version in the mantis task.
In particular 0.0.x version refers to the downloadable client we use to connect to eAthena server, while the 0.1.x version is meant to be used with the new server (tmwserv) in development. You can pick tasks on wahtever you prefer.
JoshLangley wrote: If we do use an earlier version, how do I download an earlier version from the SVN (I'm using tortoise SVN).
The "older" version can be found in "branches/0.0" branch
JoshLangley wrote: What server would I point the client too?
0.0.x should point to server.themanaworld.org while 0.1.x should point to http://www.lindeijer.nl (I hope that's correct) or better localhost
JoshLangley wrote: When I'm satisfied that I have completed testing, what do I do with the changes? Am I able to commit them?
Please read: http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/ ... he_project
JoshLangley wrote: I've updated the project file for the Dev C++, a couple of days ago, which was a more current version last time I checked... Do I commit it? Am I even able too? I haven't tried too, as I don't wan't to even tempt fate with stuffing your version control, without the proper advice and direction.
No you're not able to commit until you receive the official developer status, please read the above article to understand the process
JoshLangley wrote: I know these sound like trivial and silly questions, but all of this is pretty new to me (I've never even used CVS before, so I have no familiarity).
Feel free to ask whatever you want, we will try our best to answer.
JoshLangley
Peon
Peon

Post by JoshLangley »

that covers all my questions ty for the quick and informative response. :)
kind regards,
Josh Langley.

http://www.myspace.com/Langerz
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

ElvenProgrammer wrote:0.0.x should point to server.themanaworld.org while 0.1.x should point to http://www.lindeijer.nl (I hope that's correct) or better localhost
The address http://www.lindeijer.nl no longer points to my server. A while ago, testing.themanaworld.org was pointed at it instead, since we can change the IP of that whenever our semi-official testing server moves.

My server is slowly working towards its retirement since I have no time to maintain it, and unmaintained it forms a security risk. tmwserv will generally not be running on it anymore, so for now resort to localhost (run it yourself) until testing.themanaworld.org has found a new host where it is generally available.