New ice cave map

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

L0rd
Peon
Peon

New ice cave map

Post by L0rd »

I have spent some time making an ice cave map and i would like to know if it could be considered as a replacement or addition to the current ice cave map?

Thanks,
</L0rd>
Fou-lu
Novice
Novice

Post by Fou-lu »

cool.....but i cant play >_<......"ERROR: could not find map file"..... :( T_T
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I think the walls are all too straight with too few curves. They look more like some kind of man-made cellar than a natural cave. Take a look at the batcave. That's how a good cave map should look in my opinion.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
L0rd
Peon
Peon

Post by L0rd »

Crush wrote:I think the walls are all too straight with too few curves. They look more like some kind of man-made cellar than a natural cave. Take a look at the batcave. That's how a good cave map should look in my opinion.
Thanks for the tip, i have re-worked it to make it look more natural. I hope:)

Opinions?

Thanks,
</L0rd>
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

Looks much better, but could still use improvement along the same lines. Especially the right wall is still very straight and the top right corner too square. Also, if I remember correctly there are two different kind of wall tiles for the horizontal sections. Use them both to add a bit more variety.

It would be nice if an artist would improve this tileset actually, since it's clearly just the cave set coloured blue, including carpet, torches, etc.
L0rd
Peon
Peon

Post by L0rd »

Bjørn wrote:Looks much better, but could still use improvement along the same lines. Especially the right wall is still very straight and the top right corner too square. Also, if I remember correctly there are two different kind of wall tiles for the horizontal sections. Use them both to add a bit more variety.

It would be nice if an artist would improve this tileset actually, since it's clearly just the cave set coloured blue, including carpet, torches, etc.
Thanks for the info! I have made some more changes to make it look more random:

If nothing else, this has been some good practice:)

Thanks,
</L0rd>
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Yes, that's more the way it should look.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
L0rd
Peon
Peon

Post by L0rd »

Crush wrote:Yes, that's more the way it should look.
Thanks, glad its got some approval! :) I have hosted the map localy and it works great!

Would you consider adding this map to the server?

</L0rd>
Falcata
Novice
Novice

Post by Falcata »

L0rd, I have a concern with this, and I do think it is a valid one. If this ice cave is replacing the current one, then anybody who has quit the game while in the old ice cave might wind up inside a wall, with no way to escape.

However, I have already thought of a couple solutions:

1) Place a script in the new ice cave. It will detect if someone has appeared on a solid tile, and will teleport them outside the ice cave, or just send them to the spawn point in Tulimshar. The script would be removed when the new server goes online.

2) Simply make this new ice cave an extension of the old one. Place a path on the southern part of the ice cave, and have it lead to the new ice cave.
I'm a proud member of the Online Campaign for Real English, a movement for those who believe in capital letters, correct spelling, and good sentence structure.
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

3) Replace the icecave map and then place everyone who is inside the cave, outside the cave, not only the characters that stand on a solid tile.

I think that is a lot easyier.
L0rd
Peon
Peon

Post by L0rd »

Falcata wrote:L0rd, I have a concern with this, and I do think it is a valid one. If this ice cave is replacing the current one, then anybody who has quit the game while in the old ice cave might wind up inside a wall, with no way to escape.

However, I have already thought of a couple solutions:

1) Place a script in the new ice cave. It will detect if someone has appeared on a solid tile, and will teleport them outside the ice cave, or just send them to the spawn point in Tulimshar. The script would be removed when the new server goes online.

2) Simply make this new ice cave an extension of the old one. Place a path on the southern part of the ice cave, and have it lead to the new ice cave.
Ejlol:

3) Replace the icecave map and then place everyone who is inside the cave, outside the cave, not only the characters that stand on a solid tile.

I was hooping that this map would be used in addition to the other ice cave. There is an extra entrance way in the old ice cave and i have sucessfuly used it on my own server in such a way, it works great.
Last edited by L0rd on 23 Aug 2007, 17:06, edited 1 time in total.
</L0rd>
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

Thanks for calling me Ejolol :roll:
Anyway I like to see the bigger ice cave in game (with new monsters?).
L0rd
Peon
Peon

Post by L0rd »

EJlol wrote:Thanks for calling me Ejolol :roll:
Anyway I like to see the bigger ice cave in game (with new monsters?).
Sorry about the name, I have changed it now...

I would like to see some new harder monsters for high lvl players becuase it takes far too long to lvl up now... I will make a bigger cave next time:)
</L0rd>
Falcata
Novice
Novice

Post by Falcata »

EJlol wrote:3) Replace the icecave map and then place everyone who is inside the cave, outside the cave, not only the characters that stand on a solid tile.

EJlol, I'm not sure that would be easy. To do that, you would need to check the location of every character in every account, and modifying the ones which are located in the ice cave. It could be done either by hand or by script. However, either way you do it, there is the possibility of messing up a lot of accounts.

Solution no. 2 seems to be the best solution to implement, because it would require less code in order to do so.
I'm a proud member of the Online Campaign for Real English, a movement for those who believe in capital letters, correct spelling, and good sentence structure.
L0rd
Peon
Peon

Post by L0rd »

I tried to submit this map using the email supplied in the Map making tutorial but it was refused, i recieved an email saying that i do not have the privilage to send an email to that address:)

Can somebody tell me the correct email addy to send this to?

Thanks,
</L0rd>