Forest Map Feebback

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Reo
Peon
Peon

Forest Map Feebback

Post by Reo »

Hi

I had a go at making a map, its a basic map, with as much of each type of thing as I could add (to test each out).

I would like some feedback on what others think of it, and how it could be improved.

the full size map image is about 2mb so I have posted a smaller overview to look at if you net is not up to the 2mb one.

:)

Full size image
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I think that you did not read the mapping guidelines on http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/Map_development and the hints for good mapping on http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/Mapping_Tutorial

You also seem to lack understanding of how the cliff tiles are supposed to be used. I know that these tiles are quite difficult to use. You should take a look at the existing woodland maps to see how they are used correctly.

Then you placed some map features that look really out of place like barrels, benches and haystacks in the middle of nowhere.

But it is a good start nevertheless. There are some areas that show a lot of creativity. Feel free to keep experimenting.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Reo
Peon
Peon

Post by Reo »

Thanks for the constructive criticism :d

Ill re-read the tutorial and rework the map, I know some of it is packed and others is to basic/non-random.

I'll update it in a day or two :D

any pointers will be welcome
Reo
Peon
Peon

Post by Reo »

After reading the wiki, i have made some changes as follows.

I have made some changes to the cliffs to make them more random (they still are not perfect, but much better), I have also removed some of the random items, and tried to reduce the number of tile sets used.

I have also made the cliffs stretch the length of the left side, as this was always the plan but i found the cliff to hard, I think it looks better than endless fence.

Any again comments and suggestions welcome :)

Large image
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Yes, the map looks a lot better now.

On a sidenote: you should not save your overview images in jpeg format as it looks very blurry. gif or png work much better for pixel art.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

I like the second version a lot more too, nice work on the cliffs.

One thing that bothers me is the width of the main road going down. Does it really need to be that wide?
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Oohyea, looking good.
Maybe some low cliffs would increase the variation and make the cave in the south east less odd.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Reo
Peon
Peon

Post by Reo »

I have reduced the size of the path to that of the one in the current woods (4 tiles wide) and had merged the cave into a larger cliff structure, but I can not get cliffs of different heights join on the top cliffs.

I am not sure if there is anywhere to fit the map in the current mana world map structure, but when i have done tweaking I'll send if off and hopefully it will be useful one day :D