What Are The Best Interface?

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Secret of Mana Style interface
39%
Ragnarok Online Style interface
13%
A Switch of The 2 Style
30%
Other
17%

Total votes: 23
Sull
Novice
Novice

Post by Sull »

i just see another post talking about it
i got the idee to make a poll

Secret of Mana

Ragnarok Online

and for the other please post your idea =)
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

Good idea!
RRC
Novice
Novice

Post by RRC »

ok, im not sure yet, but what do we all want on the interface, map area, chat area, hp bar and mp bar area and...not sure what else and i like ro online but i was thinking something that will be unique or different from the both...
-=-=- The Mana World Graphics Designer -=-=-
Sull
Novice
Novice

Post by Sull »

just worked on a draft one, i just put all together because we need space.
*ignore the gray thing
RRC
Novice
Novice

Post by RRC »

well thoughts...etc
-=-=- The Mana World Graphics Designer -=-=-
krismichael
Novice
Novice

Post by krismichael »

Depending on how complex game play gets I also like the idea of Diablo/Diablo 2 interfaces. Since a character has both mana and life-force all these interfaces work just fine, but think about inventory. Something like Diablo let's players quickly select magic spells to use or inventory items.

Also another note. We really don't need the chat dialog open all the time. The chat window could open up only when the user initiates chat with another player/character.
It's not my fault I'm new here! :)
Ardaen
Peon
Peon

Post by Ardaen »

Well, a draggable "window" system like ragnarok with docking and autohide features.

Let the user decide what they want :news tongue: If the windows can attach to eachother and the sides its all good.

Also SOM like circular menus could be good for game elements that require faster access (Have skills on a circular tree that can be controlled via both mouse and keyboard rather than in a plain linear list like in ragnarok)
jui-feng
Peon
Peon

Post by jui-feng »

i like the way it is done in RO.

i think the screenshot posted by Sull is a good idea to start with. :)
:> poor english i know ^^ hope you understood a half.. <:

Shura
Novice
Novice

Post by Shura »

i think the game should be like the project says: a "recreation" of secret of mana w/ online capabilities. didn't like the ro controls very much since using the mouse is relatively exhausting don't u agree?
Don't argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Genis
Novice
Novice

Post by Genis »

personally i like mouse+keyboard combo
Sorry...I only speak English
krismichael
Novice
Novice

Post by krismichael »

I second that. I like the Mouse + Keyboard combo too. Think War Craft, Diablo, etc. :)

It makes movement easier and quicker using a Mouse instead of a Keyboard.
It's not my fault I'm new here! :)
Shura
Novice
Novice

Post by Shura »

to me the combination of both seems reasonable but it would be absoluetly necessary to be able to play the game using only the keyboard as well. som w/ mouse? c'mon.... ^^
Don't argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Sull
Novice
Novice

Post by Sull »

im totally with kth5.i dont like the fact of making a perfect copy of Ragnarok Online.
Shura
Novice
Novice

Post by Shura »

it's not that i don't like the style of the ro controls, it's just that if u play for more than 2 hours you start to feel pain b/c of all the clicking. i know u shouldn't play for that long but believe me, i have at least 12 hours crt-rays 7 days a week and i know what i am saying. ^^
anyhow, i wanted to point out that keyboard controls r much more ergonomic than having to use both devices. on top of that u could use a pad instead of the standard input devices which is quite impossible to do when ur game relies on the mouse for movements.

still, i must admit that it would make the controls a bit harder to learn but that's worth it i guess.
Nevilytis
Peon
Peon

Post by Nevilytis »

I always figured the controls would be simplistic.

Attack, Talk, Item Menu,

Anyhoo, i'll show you the controls for my game

Directional Buttons to move

C, magic/specail button= Used to display magic/special moves menu on the battle field. On the items menu is used to cancel.

X, action button= Used to attack enemies on the field. On the item menu is used to confirm.

D, item Display= displays items

F3, opens a chat window

---------------------------
I dont know about you guys but having a chat screen like the one on SOM is far more appealing then those boring chat menus on RO or other MMORPGs