Unified theme?

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Mana Trance
Peon
Peon

Unified theme?

Post by Mana Trance »

What is the unified theme of Mana World's art intended to be? What makes it uniquely Mana World, instead of %insert name of existing CRPG/MMORPG here% ?
deviantArt's Angelic Remix
and
Co-Founder of Silver Gryphon Games
Saphy
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Saphy »

I believe the theme and style would be like those in Secret of Mana. Unfortunately, not many people have the skill to draw like that.
Mana Trance
Peon
Peon

Post by Mana Trance »

Secret of Mana is my second favorite classic RPG (first being Chrono Trigger). I may be able to scrap together a couple sprites in that style, if you want.
and
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

Because this is an open community we have a rich mixture of styles and influences and IMHO the best way to create a unified art theme is taking all the contributions from the artists and then find a common way of art, the actual server stage is giving us some time to reach that goal
Platyna
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Platyna »

Unified themes sucks. I am strongly against. This is the whole charm of free MMORPGs (as well as other free, community maintained things) - diversity.

Regards.
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

Platyna, I love you
Mana Trance
Peon
Peon

Post by Mana Trance »

Platyna wrote:Unified themes sucks. I am strongly against. This is the whole charm of free MMORPGs (as well as other free, community maintained things) - diversity.

Regards.
Okay. I won't worry about fitting into any particular style when I create some sprite examples, then.
and
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I got a different opinion.

I think that the game should have a consistent graphic style. Otherwise it will look as if the graphics were ripped from a dotzend of different games like a cheap RPGMaker game and objects will stand out because their style diverts from their surrounding creating an alienating effect.

When you create NPC sprites then please base them on the player character sprite.

When you create monsters or map tiles then please try to mimic the style and techniques from the existing monsters and tilesets and please follow the guidelines found on the wiki:
http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/ ... evelopment
http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/ ... evelopment
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Jetryl
Novice
Novice

Post by Jetryl »

Platyna wrote:Unified themes sucks. I am strongly against. This is the whole charm of free MMORPGs (as well as other free, community maintained things) - diversity.

Regards.
Crush has the right opinion. :|

"The whole charm of free MMORPGs" is not being a shoddy amalgamation of mismatch, poorly drawn elements that look like they were stolen from other games. Rather it's the lack of corporate and "design by committee" stultification that usually plagues commercial efforts - things like "oh, you can't do XYZ because it would offend this hypothetical group of people," or "you can't do that because that's not politically correct". It's the lack of "a manager who doesn't have a clue about how your job is done" breathing down your neck and mandating choices you know are bad.

Mismatching styles breaks the immersion in a game; it breaks the illusion that you're "in a fantasy world". The translation of an imaginary world into a set of symbols follows a transformation function. The human mind understands this instinctively, and is able to pair symbological representations with what they represent. However, it jars the mind when things don't consistently follow this transformation; when differences between those symbols don't correspond with the differences between things in the real world. For example, when some humans (like TMW's npcs) are much bigger than other humans for no apparent reason. That bothers the mind like a rock in your shoe, and it's instinctive.

For a simple example, imagine how bizarre Spawn would look in Hergé's Tintin. Imagine how bizarre Charlie Brown would look in "Ghost in the Shell." These things have to be consistent; it's not a issue of current fashion to be consistent, it's a basic function of how human instinct processes drawings. This is and has been constant for the entire human race, throughout history.
Dave
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dave »

Jetryl wrote:Imagine how bizarre Charlie Brown would look in "Ghost in the Shell."
I smell a sequel. ;)
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

• former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

I understand we should have consistency in the graphics and I agree with the fact of a line in drawing,
but first we need a converge from we are now to a common point and in my opinion we are still far from there,
I would suggest a calendar, schedules, meetings, discussions (like this one) in order to reach our goal,
I would me more than glad of be part of the team trying to find our own identity
Platyna
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Platyna »

Jetryl wrote:

Regards.
Crush has the right opinion. :|

"The whole charm of free MMORPGs" is not being a shoddy amalgamation of mismatch, poorly drawn elements that look like they were stolen from other games.
And when I have said this, I mean that I support "shoddy amalgamation of mismatch and poorly drawn elements that looks like they were stolen from other games"? Quote where I have said this or re-think your post.
Rather it's the lack of corporate and "design by committee" stultification that usually plagues commercial efforts - things like "oh, you can't do XYZ because it would offend this hypothetical group of people," or "you can't do that because that's not politically correct". It's the lack of "a manager who doesn't have a clue about how your job is done" breathing down your neck and mandating choices you know are bad.
That, actually was the issue I was talking about, but your and Crush's posts sounds like: "we can either have chaos and sucky stuff that looks from taken from other games or design by comitee".

Oh my, oh my, all our characters and NPCs has to be based on that big eye anime alien, because otherwise the world will collapse!
Mismatching styles breaks the immersion in a game; it breaks the illusion that you're "in a fantasy world".
Does it? So, what do creates the illussion of fantasy world for you? Reality taken from Orwell's 1984 or this one taken from "Equilibrium" movie? Filthy unitarism.
The translation of an imaginary world into a set of symbols follows a transformation function. The human mind understands this instinctively, and is able to pair symbological representations with what they represent.
This is pseudoscientific gibberish. Is it supposed to prove, that if I wear victorian style jewelry to modern Matrix-like clothes (and I love doing so) is wrong?
However, it jars the mind when things don't consistently follow this transformation; when differences between those symbols don't correspond with the differences between things in the real world. For example, when some humans (like TMW's npcs) are much bigger than other humans for no apparent reason. That bothers the mind like a rock in your shoe, and it's instinctive.
There are storylines to give the reason.
For a simple example, imagine how bizarre Spawn would look in Hergé's Tintin. Imagine how bizarre Charlie Brown would look in "Ghost in the Shell." These things have to be consistent; it's not a issue of current fashion to be consistent, it's a basic function of how human instinct processes drawings. This is and has been constant for the entire human race, throughout history.
Making the world to follow the common sense is a different issue, and I agree with it.

Regards.
Saphy
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Saphy »

Platyna wrote: That, actually was the issue I was talking about, but your and Crush's posts sounds like: "we can either have chaos and sucky stuff that looks from taken from other games or design by comitee".

Oh my, oh my, all our characters and NPCs has to be based on that big eye anime alien, because otherwise the world will collapse!
Well, the NPC should be changed if they stand out like sore thumbs among other objects.
Platyna wrote:
Mismatching styles breaks the immersion in a game; it breaks the illusion that you're "in a fantasy world".
Does it? So, what do creates the illussion of fantasy world for you? Reality taken from Orwell's 1984 or this one taken from "Equilibrium" movie? Filthy unitarism.
The translation of an imaginary world into a set of symbols follows a transformation function. The human mind understands this instinctively, and is able to pair symbological representations with what they represent.
This is pseudoscientific gibberish. Is it supposed to prove, that if I wear victorian style jewelry to modern Matrix-like clothes (and I love doing so) is wrong?
How does 1984, Equilibrium, Matrix and Victorian relates to your points?
Platyna
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Platyna »

Saphy wrote:
Platyna wrote: That, actually was the issue I was talking about, but your and Crush's posts sounds like: "we can either have chaos and sucky stuff that looks from taken from other games or design by comitee".

Well, the NPC should be changed if they stand out like sore thumbs among other objects.
I think they are nice.
Platyna wrote:
How does 1984, Equilibrium, Matrix and Victorian relates to your points?
I hoped that I have stated my points clearly even when I dared to use some metaphores and parallels to do so.

Regards.