Problems with Tiled .6.1 and questions about other things...

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Merlin
Developer
Developer

Problems with Tiled .6.1 and questions about other things...

Post by Merlin »

I just started using Tiled .6.1 I find it a good easy enough to use map program. However I have had some problems with editing an existing or created file. Whenever I go to load a map I get Can't read Input file. Failed to load map. Even when I attempt to load a tmw map file in use i get the same error. I am using the Java RE 5.0 on ubuntu linux.

I'm all set to start making maps but this has me confused. I've looked on the tiled website for more info but can't find any?

Also how are NPC put into the maps? What scripting is used? I think I heard something about LUA and I'm quite familiar with that from the PSP homebrew scene.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Make sure the tilesets are in the "../graphics/tiles/" folder (this is from the maps folder). A good way to do this is to extract all the update zip sin order into a folder and use stuff there or get it all from subversion.
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Re: Problems with Tiled .6.1 and questions about other thing

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

MerlinX420 wrote:Also how are NPC put into the maps? What scripting is used? I think I heard something about LUA and I'm quite familiar with that from the PSP homebrew scene.
On the current server (eAthena) NPCs are stand alone scripts in a custom language.
On tmwserv we embed npcs into maps using LUA scripting language, if you're interested in helping read here: http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?t=3421
Merlin
Developer
Developer

well that dosn't help....

Post by Merlin »

All the tiles are in place in the above mentioned folder. Still I can't seem to get tiled to load an already created map. Also HOW are the NPC's embedded in the map?
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Re: well that dosn't help....

Post by Jaxad0127 »

MerlinX420 wrote:All the tiles are in place in the above mentioned folder. Still I can't seem to get tiled to load an already created map. Also HOW are the NPC's embedded in the map?
With script files the server parses. Each npc is given a map, (x, y) coordinates, sprite, and script (and some more from the looks of it, but those four are the important stuff).
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Are you talking about eAthena (current server) or TMWServ (new server in development)?

eAthena:
NPCs are created by global script files on the server. You can find the scripts on the SVN repository in server-data/trunk/npc/

TMWServ:
There are two ways to put NPCs on maps.

a) as map object embedded in the map file
b) spawned by an external script file which is referenced in the map file

You can find examples for both methods on the map new_1-1.tmx in the trunk client repository tmw/trunk/data/maps (open it with a text editor). The referenced "test.lua" is in tmwserv/trunk/data. The LUA library tmwserv/trunk/data/scripts/libtmw.lua which does a lot of "behind the scenes" stuff might be interesting, too.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Merlin
Developer
Developer

tiled and npcs

Post by Merlin »

I got tiled to work correctly. I just had to relocate the tiles and maps. (Duh!)

Thanks for the info Crush. I was wondering both ways ,but I wanted to know the new ones. I'm still having trouble building the new SVN, but thats the one I want to concentrate learning the LUA coding methods used. I found the XML scripts you were describing after I started to dig a little further.