Mushroms Forest Cave

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Falcata
Novice
Novice

Post by Falcata »

The one on the left seems pretty good, and is probably more in line with the wall mushrooms you already made.
I'm a proud member of the Online Campaign for Real English, a movement for those who believe in capital letters, correct spelling, and good sentence structure.
Platyna
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Platyna »

Falcata wrote:
Platyna wrote:Great work, we could make some underground forrests with these mushrooms.

Regards.
That's the plan.
Good. ;)

Regards.
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

Im trying to create a concept for an over layer with stalagmites

Falcata
Novice
Novice

Post by Falcata »

I think you mean "stalactites". Although, I'm not sure how that would work out. I mean, they hang from the ceiling, which is something you don't normally see in tile-based games.
I'm a proud member of the Online Campaign for Real English, a movement for those who believe in capital letters, correct spelling, and good sentence structure.
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

Falcata wrote:I think you mean "stalactites". Although, I'm not sure how that would work out. I mean, they hang from the ceiling, which is something you don't normally see in tile-based games.
I believe AxlTrozz wants to do a Parallax scrolling overlay effect, much like the canopy layer in the forest set that Saphy and I are trying to create. I think its going to work fine just as long as they are spread out and not overly used (try and keep their size down to about 2x3 or 1x2.
Pixel Battalion
Pajarico
Knight
Knight

Post by Pajarico »

here is a suggestion: the walls should be different from the desert caves, because:
a) This dirt is so much more wet.
b) And above the dirt and the cave there are trees standings, and what do trees have? Roots!! Roots should be falling from the walls (and maybe the ceiling, don't know how that would like, though).
http://www.mala.bc.ca/~earles/geol390/p ... ving03.jpg
Last edited by Pajarico on 21 Jan 2008, 19:10, edited 1 time in total.
Lv.: Maggot
Please, read the FAQ before posting.
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

Pajarico wrote:here is a suggestion: the walls should be different from the desert caves, because:
a) This dirt is so much more wet.
b) And aboce the dirt and the cave there are trees standings, and what do trees have? Roots!! Roots should be falling from the walls (and maybe the ceiling, don't know how that would like, though).
http://www.mala.bc.ca/~earles/geol390/p ... ving03.jpg

I'm not sure of the ceiling, but I think having some roots creep down along the walls would look great . .
Pixel Battalion
Falcata
Novice
Novice

Post by Falcata »

I think I get it now. But how do you setup parallax scrolling? Can it be done from Tiled, or do I need to setup an xml file of some kind?

Also, how would I configure the particle engine to cause some of the mushrooms to puff out spores at random intervals? And how would I go about posting the map file to the forums?
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

You can read about the ins and outs of mapping here: http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/Mapping_Tutorial. By the way, map files are in XML :).
Falcata
Novice
Novice

Post by Falcata »

Should have thought to use the "Save as Image" feature.

Image Image Image

NOTE: The map still isn't complete yet. I have to fill in the south/south-west areas, and do some more polishing to the map.

EDIT: I added two more screenshots from Tiled. Each of them are zoomed in a bit more.
5t3v3
Warrior
Warrior

Post by 5t3v3 »

LOl, it's like a Mush-festival, and all the Shrooms are invited.
No seriously, getting back on topic, I like each shroom individual, but they don't seem to fit toghether well due to different color palettes and sizes.
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

5t3v3 wrote:LOl, it's like a Mush-festival, and all the Shrooms are invited.
No seriously, getting back on topic, I like each shroom individual, but they don't seem to fit toghether well due to different color palettes and sizes.
I agree with 5t3v3 we need to uniform palettes, light, may be sizes, and I was thinking in redo the whole cave, walls, floors and new things like parallax scrolling, so I'll focus my effort on that and then we can start trying to put the things together, I'm seriously thinking about the color of the cave, I'll try to do something more humid may be a green-black or green-red-black, in short we still have a long way to go
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

this is my first try with the new cave's colors

note: I'll work more tomorrow and the day after (my days off)
Last edited by AxlTrozz on 23 Jan 2008, 16:00, edited 1 time in total.
Falcata
Novice
Novice

Post by Falcata »

My work on mapping the mushroom forest is going to be put on hold for a day or so. I'm switching from linux distributions, from Fedora to Arch Linux. Has anyone run TMW on Arch Linux? How well does it do, compared to other distributions?
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Falcata wrote:My work on mapping the mushroom forest is going to be put on hold for a day or so. I'm switching from linux distributions, from Fedora to Arch Linux. Has anyone run TMW on Arch Linux? How well does it do, compared to other distributions?
I haven't had any problems with 0.0.24 under Arch.

The spore-shooting mushrooms would be good enemies (stationary and auto attacking).