Mushroms Forest Cave

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Mushroms Forest Cave

Post by AxlTrozz »

first concept
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

Second version and Third version
>>second>>Image >> third >>Image
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

Lovely.
Falcata
Novice
Novice

Post by Falcata »

I'll take this as a "yes" in response to yesterday's PM. Anyways, I tried my own hand at pixel art, and I found that it isn't as hard as I thought it would be:

Image Image Image
I'm a proud member of the Online Campaign for Real English, a movement for those who believe in capital letters, correct spelling, and good sentence structure.
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

Excellent, so you can take it from here, is correct, is not that hard, is more a matter of time and small details like perspective, shadows and minor considerations, but welcome as a pixelworker :)
Falcata
Novice
Novice

Post by Falcata »

Here's some early screenshots of the Mushroom Forest so far. The map itself isn't completed yet, so I'll be taking suggestions for improvements.

Image Image Image Image
I'm a proud member of the Online Campaign for Real English, a movement for those who believe in capital letters, correct spelling, and good sentence structure.
Falcata
Novice
Novice

Post by Falcata »

AxlTrozz wrote:Excellent, so you can take it from here, is correct, is not that hard, is more a matter of time and small details like perspective, shadows and minor considerations, but welcome as a pixelworker :)
Thanks, Axl. I suppose the real challenge for me will be making some tree-sized mushrooms, lol. So far I haven't tried anything that large, but I'll see what I can do.
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

The third version I made is 32 pixels at least half of the char size, we can try using the same base but higher, I'll try to do something as concept, the mushroom grows in clusters, so we need something like the version 2, but bigger
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Falcata, you should go for less regular and less straight shapes. More like the mushrooms by AxlTrozz. Do you notice how the stems aren't perfectly straight but bend? This looks much more natural.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Falcata
Novice
Novice

Post by Falcata »

Crush wrote:Falcata, you should go for less regular and less straight shapes. More like the mushrooms by AxlTrozz. Do you notice how the stems aren't perfectly straight but bend? This looks much more natural.
I'll be sure to remember that. The tiles I've made so far are still prototypes, so I'll be improving them a bit (starting with the tall, hollow ones).

EDIT: Crush, how would I configure the particle system to cause some of the mushrooms (the tall, hollow ones) to spit up a cloud of spores at random intervals?
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

A new Version 3

Image >>>> Image >>>> Image
EDIT: minor addition
Last edited by AxlTrozz on 17 Jan 2008, 02:26, edited 2 times in total.
yosuhara
Knight
Knight

Post by yosuhara »

i must say i like this idea very much, finally something different from current environments... we can also add some cave plants...and maybe change the color scheme of the cave more towards blue or green...

anyway, good start!
Falcata
Novice
Novice

Post by Falcata »

I decided to make this cave because Crush rejected my "Elemental Planes" proposal. The Plane of Earth was to include a number of exotic caverns, such as the Mushroom Forest.

A green cavern? Sounds fascinating. I'll do a palette swap of the cave tileset and see how it turns out.
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

Now a Green smoking Mushroom, It just a concept but I like it
Falcata
Novice
Novice

Post by Falcata »

Looks pretty interesting. Just needs a bit more polishing, I suppose.