Ailments / Conditions / Status effects

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Doubi
Peon
Peon

Ailments / Conditions / Status effects

Post by Doubi »

A quick search didn't reveal any threads dedicated to this, so sorry if it's already been covered.

It's a pretty obvious point. I assume the standard ones will be implemented; poison, paralysis, sleep.

What other ideas do people have?

And just so as not to run completely wild, how many status effects do you think there should be in total?

Also, I've just thought that since heads and bodies will be graphically separate on the new server (that's true, right?) it should be quite easy to give the player a kind of tired expression when hp is low - just lowered eyelids would get the point across. I sometimes die unnecessarily from not keeping an eye on my health bar (I hope I'm not the only one who does that >.> ) and this would be an effective visual reminder.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Ailments / Conditions / Status effects

Post by Crush »

Doubi wrote:Also, I've just thought that since heads and bodies will be graphically separate on the new server (that's true, right?)
No idea where you got that information from. Especially considering that a change like that would be completely client-sided and thus wouldn't require a new server.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Doubi
Peon
Peon

Post by Doubi »

Hmm. I went and had a look around but I can't find where I got that idea from either :oops:

The character's expression could still be changed with just a very small sprite overlay though, applied just under any masks / hats. Could that work?
Dave
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dave »

Some ideas that I had for status ailments..

Burned - you have recently been burnt nearly to a crisp, leaving your body in a very tender state. Any physical or fire damage you receive while burned is increased (25% more damage or perhaps every hit is a critical hit) .. This would have to be somewhat uncommon, or fire magic might be too strong. Maybe there is a particular kind of fire spell that does little or no damage, but causes this sort of burn effect. In a fight then, it'd be most effective to cause a burn effect as early as possible.

Polymorphed - it could be neat to have a variety of forms that you can be changed in to. (sometimes against your will) Frog would be a good first level form.

Mute/Silenced - doesn't need explaining for most of you RPG experts; temporarily disables your magic powers. Maybe you can't speak either.. heh.

Undead - I've always thought it would be cool to have a few possible death sequences; one of them being zombification. You die, lay there for a moment (long enough to briefly reflect upon what just happened while you stare at your character's corpse), then rise with an altered color palette (a classic touch).. you have intermittent control; you can walk around, but when you let go of the controls, you sort of wander aimlessly about. When other players come in to the general area, you are unable to stop yourself from attacking them. This would probably last for a fixed duration of time.. in that time, you have 0 health points and can not be killed again, simply knocked down. While this does not conform to our current plan for the death sequence, it could be worked in somehow. It could also be the result of a spell.
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

Confusion (maybe): up becomes down and right becomes left (inverted controls) Great for PVP

Blind: ….I don’t think I need to elaborate on this one
Pixel Battalion
Dave
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dave »

You've caused me to become Confused with your unreadable yellow font. :P That's how the "Mushroomed" status ailment works in Earthbound. I mentioned something in the Mushroom cave thread about it.

How do you imagine blindness? I could see it as like, all black save a hazy circle around you.. so you can only see what's directly around you. It'd be cool if we could do something with a blur effect.
Doubi
Peon
Peon

Post by Doubi »

My immediate thought about blindness was the opposite; have a intense blurring, or just a dark circle around the player, making them unable to see what's happening around them. They could run around and hack and slash at things, but it'd be a pretty severe handicap.

Oh, or, seeing as there's going to be some kind of time limit anyway, it could start with the whole screen blinded out, and then slowly recede towards the centre, with more and more of the periphery visible until the effect has fully receded.

Seems "Blind" does actually need some elaboration :P