All hairstyle options for all characters

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Vink
Warrior
Warrior

All hairstyle options for all characters

Post by Vink »

It was good that the "female" hairstyles were added, but it's not good at all that the hairstyles are restricted to the different genders. I don't like the "female" hairstyles very much, the "male" ones are more cute, and I think that some guys would like to have longer hair, for example.

I suggest that all the hairstyles are made available for all characters, regardless of gender, so that we don't have to change gender just to get the hairstyle we want.
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Re: All hairstyle options for all characters

Post by EJlol »

I dont like to see a girl with a mohawk...
Paprika
Peon
Peon

Post by Paprika »

EJlol wrote:I dont like to see a girl with a mohawk...
Or a boy with pigtails. :shock:
Landon
Novice
Novice

Post by Landon »

I think a sprite should have the freedom to look the way they want to, in most countries people have the right to express there self; why not on TMW.
Landon
"Life is like one big screwed up Merry-Go-Round, I get thrown off but I get right back on"
Vink
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Vink »

That's just a matter of taste. I think girls look fine in mohawk. And why shouldn't a boy be able to have pigtails if he wants to? Besides, it's very unrealistic that it's not even possible. I've heard of games where male characters can't wear dresses, and that's just silly in my opinion. There's nothing in the male anatomy that makes wearing a dress impossible. And there's certainly nothing in male or female anatomy that makes certain hairstyles impossible to get.
leeor_net
Novice
Novice

Post by leeor_net »

If you're going to go with the male's wearing dresses thing, you're right. In real-life, a man can wear a dress. In fact, I know some men who do it regularly.

The point here is that the male and female sprite sheets are DIFFERENT. Which means that if you were going to design a female piece of armor but you wanted it to be able to be worn by a male, you'd have to draw TWO sprite sheets each with the animation for walking, attacking and so on. You're proposing somebody do double the work -- not going to happen.

And I hate to break out the MapleStory references again, but they are very succesfull yet they have clearly separate hair and clothing styles. (ugh... I need to take a shower now... )
- Leeor

"Oh, no thanks. I ate a boulder on the way in." - Shrek
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

leeor_net wrote:The point here is that the male and female sprite sheets are DIFFERENT. Which means that if you were going to design a female piece of armor but you wanted it to be able to be worn by a male, you'd have to draw TWO sprite sheets each with the animation for walking, attacking and so on. You're proposing somebody do double the work -- not going to happen.
That doesn't apply to hair (or hat/head items, though they could have gender specific options). Besides, every sprite needs both or half the characters can't use it anyways.
Vink
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Vink »

In the previous version both genders had the same hair options, so I doubt that it would be that difficult to change this.

About boys with pigtails by the way, maybe they want to be indians. :)
Pauan
Novice
Novice

Post by Pauan »

leeor_net wrote:If you're going to go with the male's wearing dresses thing, you're right. In real-life, a man can wear a dress. In fact, I know some men who do it regularly.

The point here is that the male and female sprite sheets are DIFFERENT. Which means that if you were going to design a female piece of armor but you wanted it to be able to be worn by a male, you'd have to draw TWO sprite sheets each with the animation for walking, attacking and so on. You're proposing somebody do double the work -- not going to happen.

And I hate to break out the MapleStory references again, but they are very succesfull yet they have clearly separate hair and clothing styles. (ugh... I need to take a shower now... )
Except it already IS happening. ;) We pixel artists already make two versions of shirts/pants/armor: one for males and one for females. Hair is on a separate layer from the playerset so there is no technical restriction. So far, in the playerset, both male and females have the same size head. As such it would be very very simple to make female hairsets usable on males and vice versa. This has nothing to do with more work for us, it's just a matter of cultural taste: most people in the "west" think that males shouldn't have long hair, and females short hair.

Yes the male and female sprites are stored in different files, however the .xml files are almost identical. If you wanted to, you could delete the male hairstyles and rename the female hair styles in their place. Voila! Instant males with female hairstyles. ;) As I said before, it is not a technical limitation, as the fix is extremely easy to do. It is more a cultural thing.
Vink
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Vink »

Most people in the west? I don't think I know anyone who has such old-fashioned ideas. :) I really think that many people would like to have all the options. Those who don't like short hair on girls and so on can just keep to the traditional styles. I mean, if people can have axes in their heads... How can a hairstyle be so upsetting compared to that?
Pauan
Novice
Novice

Post by Pauan »

Vink wrote:Most people in the west? I don't think I know anyone who has such old-fashioned ideas. :) I really think that many people would like to have all the options. Those who don't like short hair on girls and so on can just keep to the traditional styles. I mean, if people can have axes in their heads... How can a hairstyle be so upsetting compared to that?
Well, personally, I agree with you. But I am not an admin nor do I have access to the server, so aside from providing a user-hack that will produce the same effect, I cannot help. ;)
Vink
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Vink »

Oh, I see. :) Hope the right people will read this thread then.
Ces
Novice
Novice

Post by Ces »

As the problem really brings no artistic or technical difficulty, I’ll add my own wishes to change this, so everyone — regardless of their gender — can choose their own cut.

I think this is important from a global perspective, free/open games like this one are played all over the world, by people from different cultures and different sets of minds and prejudices. Myself I am Western guy with long hair, and here where I live it really isn’t something strange. Here and now, some things are considered “sacred” to a specific gender, and “lethal” to another. But then again, in another time and/or place, the very same thing would never be seen as belonging to a certain gender.

Whatever anyone (me included) think about this, I find that the more individualizing options an RPG offers, the more I enjoy the game. :mrgreen: So, I humbly suggest, generalize where ever you feel you can/want.

Anyway, thanks for all the great art this far! <3
Pauan
Novice
Novice

Post by Pauan »

For those who want to use a male/female hairset, are impatient, and are using the SVN; there is a very simple fix. Open up your data/graphics/sprites folder. Find the hairstyle.xml files. Open up the xml file and look near the top. You should see a line something like this:

<imageset name="base" src="graphics/sprites/hairstyle4-female.png|W" width="40" height="40" />

Replace female with male, or male with female. It should now look like this:

<imageset name="base" src="graphics/sprites/hairstyle4-male.png|W" width="40" height="40" />

Save the file and try it out! :) Also, there are several hairstyle files. You may need to edit all of them for it to work properly.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

It would be simpler to change the association in data/items.xml.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.