Make game rules known

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Vink
Warrior
Warrior

Make game rules known

Post by Vink »

Hello! I strongly suspect that not all players are aware of the game rules. Maybe they could be shown upon registration?
Landon
Novice
Novice

Re: Make game rules known

Post by Landon »

go idea or maybe even putting the rules into the read me file, that way after game is installed the readme.txt file auto populates with the rules.
Landon
"Life is like one big screwed up Merry-Go-Round, I get thrown off but I get right back on"
Vink
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Vink »

Ah, that's also a good idea, but I'm not sure everybody reads the readme.
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

and you think that when you display the rules during registration everyone would read it? Maybe there a few more people who would read, but I'm sure there are always people who won't read it. always.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

We could do something similar to an EULA where they have to agree to the rules before creating an account.
leeor_net
Novice
Novice

Post by leeor_net »

That's a simple matter of clicking on an "I Agree" checkbox. This doesn't force users to read rules and regulations, even in very large MMO's like World of Warcraft (I can't tell you how many users say "I didn't know that!" when they get banned for violating rules).

Anyway, something like that when creating a new account can cover bases so that users can't use the "I didn't know!" excuse but it will not force users to actually know the rules.
- Leeor

"Oh, no thanks. I ate a boulder on the way in." - Shrek
Vink
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Vink »

No, we can't force them to read, but since there are only five short rules, the chances that they will read them are relatively high, I think. And like leeor said, they can't use the "I didn't know" excuse then.
leeor_net
Novice
Novice

Post by leeor_net »

I do want to point out, however, that I agree with Vink and that at the very least an effort has been made on the part of the developers/moderators to give users an obvious opportunity to make sure they are informed. If they refuse to read upon registration they have no excuses and can't blame anybody but themselves for misbehavior and any appropriate disciplinary actions taken against them.
- Leeor

jimao888
Peon
Peon

Post by jimao888 »

I 'm not read this stuff during registration, All I want is get in the game quickly
Vink
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Vink »

It's just five rules, less than 100 words. Even if you click OK within the second you will probably read at least some of them during that time, because your brain won't have time to notice that it's not something you want to read.
leeor_net
Novice
Novice

Post by leeor_net »

jimao888 wrote:I 'm not read this stuff during registration, All I want is get in the game quick
And that's beside the point. The point of displaying those rules is to give the user an opportunity to inform themselves. If they refuse to do this and end up incurring disciplinary actions, they have nobody to blame but themselves and can't use the "omg1!!!11!! gms are abuzing theyre power!1!!!11" line.
- Leeor