[DIS] Tools of trade - useful software

The general development forum for topics that are not specific to a single project, or ones that specifically relate to two or more projects collectively.

Forum rules

Welcome to the Home of Development!

The Mana World has multiple projects under development and most of these projects have their own development forum. However, some assets may be developed which are for the benefit of more than one or no single specific project. This forum houses any such assets.

You can also post on this forum if you are unsure which other development forum your post belongs to. Forum staff will help you by moving your post to the most appropriate section.

Saphy
Warrior
Warrior

Re: Tools of trade - useful software

Post by Saphy »

Rotonen wrote:So can anyone solve this problem of ours? I see 2 options:

1) Develop something inhouse. (This would fall on our tech devs.)
2) Externalize the problem. (Bug the GIMP development mailing lists or some similar resource.)

In any case we need someone to take responsibility for the realization or it will not happen.
Hmm... What problem? You meant previewing of tile? I believe a plugin (display filters?) can be made for that in GIMP.
Jetryl
Novice
Novice

Post by Jetryl »

Saphy wrote:
Rotonen wrote:So can anyone solve this problem of ours? I see 2 options:

2) Externalize the problem. (Bug the GIMP development mailing lists or some similar resource.)

In any case we need someone to take responsibility for the realization or it will not happen.
Hmm... What problem? You meant previewing of tile? I believe a plugin (display filters?) can be made for that in GIMP.
Yeah, they're talking about doing it in GIMP. The issue is, you know, actually getting it done. Either they need to find someone else who's done it, or they need to do it themselves. I'd offer my own help .. but I don't have anything written to accomplish the job. I also don't use Gimp, so I wouldn't be able to use it myself.
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

I posted request on gimptalk.com board and on polish gimpuj.info forums. However I didn't received any constructive answer yet. Last few days I was reading gimp's source code. And believe me, TMW sources are easier to understand :P
That's not a good option. We are not familiar with Gimp's sources. That could take a long time to develop something nice, stable and useful.
That's the way I prefer.
Wendel
Peon
Peon

What are the common Gimp Plugins being used?

Post by Wendel »

What Gimp Plugins are people useing and for what?
This would be helpful for newbs (like me) to get up
to speed more quickly.

Thanks!
Saphy
Warrior
Warrior

Re: What are the common Gimp Plugins being used?

Post by Saphy »

Wendel wrote:What Gimp Plugins are people useing and for what?
This would be helpful for newbs (like me) to get up
to speed more quickly.

Thanks!
I don't use any additional/third party plugins. Just the native features are good enough for me.

Making animation in gimp however, can be a little time consuming, but I really don't know of any other methods of pixelation.
kale91
Peon
Peon

Post by kale91 »

Dr Wahl
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dr Wahl »

I haven't had the chance to play with these much, however, I have fooled around with the software that is packaged with them, and it seemed to function well (as far as I could tell).

http://www.artistx.org/site2/

http://www.musix.org.ar/

Artistx and Musix are both live CD/DVDs that come packaged with software to assist in creating many things pertaining to art. Musix focuses on just audio creation and editing. Artistx has some audio creation software in it, but it also has video and graphics software as well.

As I mentioned earlier, I am not super familiar with these things, but my first impressions were good. Maybe someone with a little more knowledge of audio/graphics editing could give them a test run and post your thoughts.
Saphy
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Saphy »

Here's a list of useful plug-ins for GIMP:

Sprite and Animation:
http://www.trueelena.org/proj/scripts/tile_layers.php
http://registry.gimp.org/node/1771

Colour Theme:
http://registry.gimp.org/node/5442

Layer Effect (very useful):
http://registry.gimp.org/node/186
jonny satanic
Peon
Peon

Post by jonny satanic »

u guys evr heard of inkscape?
its a free vector image thing
i dont know if its any use to anyone but just thought to mention it :)
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Some of our pixel artists actually use it for outlining to get the perspective right.
This message used to be meaningful.
igneus
Novice
Novice

Post by igneus »

I know it's not exactly what you need, but when creating tiles for my small game project I use a little home-grown tool which shows tiles (how many you need) and reloads them whenever you click it.
It's not "live preview" - you must save image and click the viewer again and again.
main TMW character: nguma
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

Hehe, I asked a GIMP developer that did a presentation at the FOSDEM back in 2005 about a similar plugin Irukard is looking for here. I actually wanted to add a small map editor window to GIMP that would allow you to draw a map with the tiles in the tileset you're editing, which would update instantly as you draw on the tileset. Unfortunately I never got around to looking into the details. I only got as far as compiling a plugin skeleton basically.

But indeed, it takes a lot of time to figure out whether it can be done and to implement it, as Irukard pointed out. Meanwhile what I can do is implement automatic reloading of a tileset when it changes on disk in Tiled. The Java version can do this already, but you have to press F5. I'll see about adding automatic reloading to the Qt version.
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

automatic reloading would be nice. But when I save my art I most of the time do it under a different name, so that I do not lose the previous version (cave1.png, cave2.png, cave3.png etc).
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

EJlol wrote:automatic reloading would be nice. But when I save my art I most of the time do it under a different name, so that I do not lose the previous version (cave1.png, cave2.png, cave3.png etc).
So you have to use "work-copy". "Save as copy" is very useful.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

In the area of Tiled auto-updating tilesets, someone is finishing it up.