What books or class can I use to learn better how to code?

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

MrDan
Peon
Peon

What books or class can I use to learn better how to code?

Post by MrDan »

If one was to want to study up on messing around with the source code for TMW, what type of material would one look for? ie: C++, VB, #.net, pearl, etc... I notice some similarities to vb and cpp but really just want to find book or something on coding for this stuff and understanding the source code. Does anyone have any reference material I can look for? Do i need cpp or vb or what type of language? I kind of can make some fuzzy sense of what is kind of going on when I look at some files. (but would like to know more.) what class or book or whatever. Am I redundant enough? :lol:
lost_soul
Peon
Peon

Re: What books or class can I use to learn better how to code?

Post by lost_soul »

i know this isn't much help, but you should start with some references on C++ that is what the game is written in, the scripting language is Lua...(The code which defines how the players interact with NPC's....formally eathena...browsing the source code, you won't see much lua, since the game is in the process of being converted over, but that is what will be used in the future for primary game-play content alteration)(I have to admit I need help with some of the C++, but I've got a text book kicking around I refer to) unfortunately I can't offer much assistance with any reference material for C++ but, I can provide some links for some LUA related material.

a good site to look at for some nice basic and straight-forward examples:
http://lua-users.org/wiki/TutorialDirectory

a quick tutorial on integrating lua into C++:
http://csl.sublevel3.org/lua/

if you want to get down and dirty:(the lua manual)
http://www.lua.org/manual/5.1/
Simeon
Peon
Peon

Post by Simeon »

The internet also has plenty of information, see http://www.cplusplus.com/ for example for C++ tutorials.
MrDan
Peon
Peon

Post by MrDan »

thanks everyone! :D I have been working on learning cpp through ms visual studio pro. (don't ask why I have or how I got it) 8) :wink: and have been learning a lot and that is why looking through the code some of it makes some sense. I just wanted to know if I was on the right track. Now I have LUA to look for stuff on.

Thanks again! :D
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

MrDan wrote:thanks everyone! :D I have been working on learning cpp through ms visual studio pro. (don't ask why I have or how I got it) 8) :wink:
I hope you didn't pay for it, because there are free IDEs and compilers available which are just as good. We recommend Code::Blocks for windows users. We also provide the compiled libraries for its compiler (MinGW). When you use the microsoft compiler you will have a quite hard time getting all the necessary libraries.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
MrDan
Peon
Peon

Post by MrDan »

no I didn't pay much for it (35 dollars) I enjoy playing around with it and am learning a bit from it so it was worth every penny.

I would however tend to agree with you that code::blocks is much better as this is the only way I have had any success compiling SVN. Thank you so much for pointing me to that program. 8)
trapdoor
Novice
Novice

Post by trapdoor »

Visual C++ is a free download from the MS site, the only reason to get the Pro version is for advanced features that 99.99% of beginners (and most non-beginners) wont ever need. So yes, you did waste your money.

--
trapdoor
Sertraline
Novice
Novice

Post by Sertraline »

:roll: That's probably enough software elitism heaped upon a beginning programmer who is politely asking for help so that he can contribute to your game, don't you think?
MrDan
Peon
Peon

Post by MrDan »

Sertraline wrote::roll: That's probably enough software elitism heaped upon a beginning programmer who is politely asking for help so that he can contribute to your game, don't you think?

Oh that is quite alright thanks. I really do appreciate the responses. I can sort through the back-handed remarks and down-looking and try to glean some useful info from it.

No money wasted because I wanted the "advanced" Stuff that I probably don't need. (I am just like that) :p I am a big boy and can decide for myself what I buy and what I just pirate :lol: :roll: (not that I am into that kind of thing.) :oops: :wink: