How do you do pixil art?!

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Re: How do you do pixel art?!

Post by Jaxad0127 »

littlepinksprite wrote:I started with Bmp and had to save to Jpg to attatch it, which resulted in a loss of color. Could someone please tell me the best file extension to use?
The best format is png, which MS Paint doesn't do as well as it could. GIMP is always an option.
Dr Wahl
Warrior
Warrior

Re: How do you do pixil art?!

Post by Dr Wahl »

PNG is generally excepted around here as the default format. It offers decent compression with little loss.

While I am not anything of a great pixel artist, I can see that your sample image there might need some more shading (to make things looks rounder, instead of flat) and should take the lighting source into consideration (I believe it is from the North West, but I could be wrong).

It is a good start though. There is no black border and the color pallet is fairly consistent.
Dawn
Novice
Novice

Post by Dawn »

:?: Well you know gimp, do you have to draw it on gimp or do it on another and then edit it?
littlepinksprite
Peon
Peon

Post by littlepinksprite »

What would an accurate tail swish animation look like for a nekomimi (werecat)?
Strump
Novice
Novice

Post by Strump »

I use the Gimp for diteils, and for pxle art

And Blender for 3D grathiks. For my brother ;).

But i'm low in 3D ;)
Last edited by Strump on 01 May 2008, 07:26, edited 1 time in total.
:D
Jetryl
Novice
Novice

Post by Jetryl »

littlepinksprite wrote:What would an accurate tail swish animation look like for a nekomimi (werecat)?
Art lesson:
"Oh noes, I need to animate a certain thing and I have no idea how it actually moves!"

Well, you need to look at it.

"But nekomimi aren't real - I can't look at one."

Look at a plain old cat - the motion would basically be the same.

"Okay ... but it moves too fast, and I can't remember how it moves when I try to draw it."

Ah, the bane of all animators. But you're in luck, kid - you live in the golden age of modern technology. We can now actually record video of things making a certain motion, and play it back slowly enough for us to comprehend how it moves. Yes, you should exercise and pump up your visual memory by trying to draw something like that without any aids, BUT technology can help you! Grab some video of a cat swishing its tail - there are tons on youtube, and play it back in slowmo, using some program (there are plenty of sites out there that can download youtube videos, and plenty of programs that can play back video in slow motion, or even step through the frames one by one (I think VLC is one).

This isn't going to magick away your problem, you still have to practice, but it'll transform a frustrating, error-prone recipe for failure into a recipe for success.
Dawn
Novice
Novice

Post by Dawn »

I'd like to ask something...
How do you do those "Invisible" thing on GIMP? I would like to know.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

What do you mean with "invisible thing"? When something is invisible you needn't draw it :)

Do you mean alpha transparency?
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Dawn
Novice
Novice

Post by Dawn »

Yeah that one.
Superkoop
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Superkoop »

You just erase part of the layer.
Sometimes a layer won't have an alpha channel (the transparency), to remedy that, you just right click on the layer in the layer manager, and select "Add Alpha channel".
In game I am Xaru
On forums I am Superkoop
IRL I am John
-View World map-