Bi-Level Cave Tiles

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Wendel
Peon
Peon

Bi-Level Cave Tiles

Post by Wendel »

Hi All,

I'm working on a new cave that will have pits that people can walk down into.
But the tile set improvements are causing me trouble.

Here is an example of changes I've done. Comments and or help welcome.

Here is an improved cave tile set for tighter cornerss

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/4118/cavenewsp5.png

I will post some examples of there use soon

Wendel...
Landon
Novice
Novice

Re: Bi-Level Cave Tiles

Post by Landon »

I like it, graphics very sharp looking.
Landon
"Life is like one big screwed up Merry-Go-Round, I get thrown off but I get right back on"
MrDan
Peon
Peon

Post by MrDan »

I personally like the lava type tiles .. Very dramatic. would add a bit of foreboding to the atmosphere and add to the experience.
Falcata
Novice
Novice

Post by Falcata »

I think that there are already plans to make a new cave tileset.
I'm a proud member of the Online Campaign for Real English, a movement for those who believe in capital letters, correct spelling, and good sentence structure.
Wendel
Peon
Peon

Post by Wendel »

The Lava is part of the original tile set. I've just added some features to make turning corners look a little better and then to start on the bi-level affects.

If there is plan to redo the cave tile set please let me know how to contact. I would prefer not to duplicate work especially when I'm just a hack when it come to the tile art. But I would like to work on making the caves more interesting. Ideas as:

Bi-Level effects
Cave to dungeon transitions
Better cave flora (mushrooms, mold, etc...)
Better water, more diverse edges, waterfall, rocks.

I hope to have example maps soon.

Wendel
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

There has been an initiative to add variouse mushrooms to the cave tileset but it kind of died:
http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3459 Maybe you would like to rip a few of the graphics which have been created and add them to the tileset.

Something else I would like to see added to the cave tileset are chasms ending in darkness.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Wendel
Peon
Peon

Post by Wendel »

Here is an example of the bi-level ideas and were it still needs work

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/6358/pitlargepc2.png

Comments?

Wendel
Falcata
Novice
Novice

Post by Falcata »

It died shortly after I lost interest in TMW and got addicted to Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. Anyways, I'm (hopefully) ready to resume work on the mushroom cave.
I'm a proud member of the Online Campaign for Real English, a movement for those who believe in capital letters, correct spelling, and good sentence structure.
Wendel
Peon
Peon

Post by Wendel »

Falcata wrote:It died shortly after I lost interest in TMW and got addicted to Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. Anyways, I'm (hopefully) ready to resume work on the mushroom cave.
Falcata, would you be willing to help clean up / improve my tile sets? I'm really have no idea how to use the gimp to make these so I just copy and past the use the paint brush and smear tools.
I would gladly give you a hand with the mushroom cave by building examples caves and testing out ideas.

Wendel