Arctic village

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Othello
Novice
Novice

Re: Arctic village

Post by Othello »

Thanks Dariunas! Too bad Reason its not free... :S. Then again, most good music authoring software is not.
"I'm a Mog, half man, half dog... I'm my own best friend!" - Barf

My blog
dariunas
Novice
Novice

Post by dariunas »

This is true lol - I think it's in the region of £200-250

It's the big sequencers like Sonar, Logic and Cubase and especially Pro Tools which are usually quite expensive... though even these are coming down :)

Reason is an amazing program though, and if you can, older versions like mine can probably be picked up very cheap now - the problem is probably finding one for sale lol
Othello
Novice
Novice

Post by Othello »

I'll keep my eyes open for it. You know any good free apps like (but probably more limited) Reason (I don't) :) .. I'm now using Psycle for my music, its nice, but thats about where it ends. It has no wave-table... and not really good instrument support... and the free instruments from the web usually aren't very good.

My blog
dariunas
Novice
Novice

Post by dariunas »

http://www.dontcrack.com/freeware/softw ... equencers/

There's a program called Cantabile on here, which looks like it will host VSTs, and sequence MIDI and audio :)
Othello
Novice
Novice

Post by Othello »

Thanks for the link! Unfortunatly my MIDI card is quite bad, it has a very limited wavetable (if at all)... however, from the link you gave me I found a great VST plugin for playing Soundfont files in Psycle... I think I will give it a shot.

My blog
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

Yes I'm pretty happy with it please go on.
dariunas
Novice
Novice

Post by dariunas »

Othello wrote:Thanks for the link! Unfortunatly my MIDI card is quite bad, it has a very limited wavetable (if at all)... however, from the link you gave me I found a great VST plugin for playing Soundfont files in Psycle... I think I will give it a shot.
I think you may be able to get hold of a Yamaha XG synth upgrade for MIDI playback, and creative soundblaster audigy platinum cards are really good. I run an M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 and a Creative Audigy2 Platinum card together, Creative for playback and Audiophile card manages recording master.

Don't worry about your wavetable :) I don't know much about psycle, but with a MIDI sequencer that can host VST or DXi, you can bypass your card's wavetable and run the MIDI through any virtual instrument - it will play back and sound great

If Psycle can host VSTs (and from your description, it sounds like it can) then you're in business... though I think it will be easier to compose with a more dedicated MIDI sequencer... have you tried any demo software?
Othello
Novice
Novice

Post by Othello »

Hey dariunas,

Yes, Psycle can host VSTs, besides its own plugins... However, before now I never really used VSTs ... Then I found the soundfonts thing out, and what great instruments there are out there.. which are such an improvement compared to the bad samples... I found an old free copy of the rgc vst soundfont plugin, installed it in Psycle, downloaded some quality soundfonts and it works great! Now I'm running against my own skills are a music 'artist'... or rather tune-tinkerer.

I have not downloaded any demo software, since I have no intention of buying any expensive software for music creation. I was seriously thinking about Reason for a while but 400 euros is just too much. If it was a 100 I would consider it.

The advantage of Reason is that you have everything in one place... and its quality software, but using a combination of open-source/free software I think I can now master a pretty decent song.

Thanks for your help so far!

My blog
dariunas
Novice
Novice

Post by dariunas »

Yeah, it can be a lot of money! I wanted to upgrade to Vienna Symphonic Orchestra samples or East West, but they're horribly expensive! :(

Best of luck to you in your music Othello. It's one of the most rewarding things as you know. Even better when you get a great sound out of something free or when you discover a cool technique :)

As for the snow village, this track is done. The length is unchanged. The instrumentation is a bit better tuned and I tried to soften the mix/overall sound...

http://www.infectedmusicdesigns.co.uk/T ... illage.ogg
Othello
Novice
Novice

Post by Othello »

I like the artic village song, its good!

My blog
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

Ok got it. I'll be adding it to the next tmwmusic package.
GonzoDark
Warrior
Warrior

Post by GonzoDark »

ElvenProgrammer wrote:Ok got it. I'll be adding it to the next tmwmusic package.
Congratulations with another song into the tmwmusic package dariunas - it is well deserved :wink:

// GonzoDark
IchigoBlack (86) a.k.a GonzoDark (80) || HolyManaClan

dariunas
Novice
Novice

Post by dariunas »

Thank you very much, kind sir! :wink:
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Although the composition itself is quite solid for our usage, the way it is rendered can be improved.

It requires a bit of balancing and polishing. Mixing work to put it in exact terms.
This message used to be meaningful.
dariunas
Novice
Novice

Post by dariunas »

lol, my friend listened to it, and said it sounded 'blurry' I think I know what he means :(

Unfortunately, I haven't yet invested in a good pair of monitoring speakers, so mixing can be a little hit and miss at times, but I agree that this can be tuned better. There's too much reverb on some of the instruments and the reverb decays are blending too much and the frequency ranges between the instruments are overlapping too much - I'll post again when I mix this down again and remaster...